Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

advice needed

Id never owned or even driven an Auto, Till i got my Colorado..I always loved a Manual.. But now i love the Auto But would be just as Happy with a Manual.. Until im in Traffic, Thy both have their Pros And Cons... But like its been said, Dont let the Choice of Box Sway your decision when Buying!.....PS Are you still out there Lollipop?
Completely agree about the traffic Higgy.
If I lived in a city I'd have an auto 80. Lugging through the gears is hardly a barrel of laughs in stop start traffic...

I seem to remember reading that the slight increase in fuel use in trucks with an auto box was offset by reduced driveline maintenance costs. I tend to use mine a bit like a manual at times if needed.

We kept a watch on fuel on the Russia trips and all 3 autos out performed my manual but a couple of mpg or so. Hardly conclusive as there was only one manual, but they were fully loaded and doing the same speed.

Some good information here. Where are you planning to go on your trip? and what is your budget? How do you want to use the vehicle - roof tent/ camper. These will influence your best choice. If you are looking to go down the camper route then look at Troopys with an All-cab pop top roof - but that won't be cheep. If your thinking roof tent then 80 or 105. The thing about land cruisers these days is that the good ones aren't cheap and the cheap ones aren't good so spend some time looking. Maybe consider importing one - a few good threads on here about that.

Don't worry about year - well looked after land cruiser go on forever. And don't worry about milage - 100k miles is only just broken in with these machines. I'm pretty sure @Chris did a really good post on what to look for when Land Cruiser shopping but i can't find it.

Thanks Nick, they're all in the stickies section at the head of the 80 forum

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Private sale to a member.
That’s great news Chris. :clap:
It’s always good to hear that a truck will live on doing what it was built to do rather than be broken or sold on to simply line someone’s pockets.

Completely agree about the traffic Higgy.
If I lived in a city I'd have an auto 80. Lugging through the gears is hardly a barrel of laughs in stop start traffic...
Dare i say it!.... But very impressed with the auto box in my 120 even with 197,000 miles on the clock Smooth and faultless... We are off to France on Tuesday... Thats given it the Kiss of Death...

After an inspection I think my money would be going into the green GX. Both manuals, the later one would be streets ahead.
Agree there Andy... Hes had them both quite a while now.. In fact hes always got a few Land cruisers in...

Green one looks to have had a bit of work done, big gaps in MOT records from 2011 then a couple listing a lot of corrosion. Latest has no mention of corrosion so I guess it's been done.

Green one looks to have had a bit of work done, big gaps in MOT records from 2011 then a couple listing a lot of corrosion. Latest has no mention of corrosion so I guess it's been done.

Gaps aren't any kind of problem, whilst its not being driven its not wearing out.
Some of my collection have been sorned for 10-15 years. They may resurface one day.

Anyway, I think Mr Lallipop. Has decided not to take our advice.. Hope we didnt put him off.:doh:

First post; newbie LC owner. Bought an '06 LC with ~160K on the clock, Feb. 2019. Had the oil changed Aug. 7, then went to a music concert Aug. 11. As we were headed to the freeway to go home, we got engine knocking and struggled a few miles to the next exit where the car died. Had it towed to the dealer from which purchased and it was diagnosed with a burned valve in the number 4 cylinder. They want $4,500 to repair with new head or ~$9,000 to replace with a rebuilt engine. A gearhead friend said he'd opt for the rebuild and overhaul the tranny while at it. Until this, we've had no problems since we bought the car. Question: does one burned valve mean additional problems? Please reply to email address <[email protected]>. Thanks in advance.

John Gram
2006 Land Cruiser (unnamed at present) 170K on the clock
4x4 newbie but former long-time motorcyclist (Honda, Suzuki, BMW)
Portland OR USA

Back