Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice on Techstream scanner

Masterblaster

Country Flag
england
Hi, I have read a few posts where it is recommended to use a Toyota Techstream scanner/reader. Can I ask for any recommendations for where to buy such a tool from please ? I want to use it on either a 2000 year 100 with the 22 pin socket, ( I have a 22 pin to OBD2 adaptor ), or a 2005 120 . Any advice thankfully appreciated.

No idea about the socket on the 100, but on techstream.....

If you have a spare laptop you can dedicate to it, you can buy the cable and a hacked version of the software on ebay for about 20 quid or so.

I wouldn't recommend you putting it on a laptop you use for anything else, as its potentially a security risk.

You can buy stand alone units that do a similar thing to techstream but they're more expensive.

Also Amazon and AliExpress have several offers. Search for "Mini VCI TechStream". And the Mini VCI is with a OBD plug, no need for an adaptor. The OBD version on these older Toyotas are M-OBD, but has the same plug as is standard for OBD2.

I bought mine from AliExpress

Ih8mud has a perfect thread for this called techstream in 5 minutes, or something similar. You can download a bundles virtual box that installs the everything you need in one easy go. All you need then is to plug into the obd2 port......which is easy to find once youve found it the first time, but took me an that first time...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for all your input guys.
On the OBD2 port subject, my 100 is a 2000 year Cygnus from UAE, I have looked under dash for 16 pin port, but not seen one yet, is it likely to not have such a beast, bearing in mind the market it was made for ?

Afaik, the Cygnus was only sold in Japan, and as RHD. Maybe they do not have the OBD plug above the brake pedal? (or above the gas pedal on a LHD)

Deffo sold in UAE as well as Japan, I have all the UAE documents from new, (RHD). The amount of parts held in UAE on megazip for these cars seems to back this up.
I am waiting for an adaptor to convert 22 pin to decide whether my current Bosch system will talk or I will buy a techstream, should this not communicate

Thanks for all your input guys.
On the OBD2 port subject, my 100 is a 2000 year Cygnus from UAE, I have looked under dash for 16 pin port, but not seen one yet, is it likely to not have such a beast, bearing in mind the market it was made for ?
Mine is an '01 Japanese import VXLimited

It has the OBD2 port on the brake pedal- the ONLY way i found it was to get my head under the dash!

Reactions: uHu
Doh ! on a clear day, I manage to spot the 16 pin OBD socket, facing the wrong way, hiding behind itself ! Happy and embarrassed, to say the least.
Plugging in gives me 'C1256 - Hydraulic accumulator pressure too low' So I guess I'm going to be up for a new pump and accumulator, if not a complete ABS brake booster modulator 47050-60010 . . .

Yes Karl, it allows code reading and I saw an ABS test and brake bleed feature on it, so hopefully, it will allow me to fix the fault.

Back