Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice on welding please

Welding now done. Although only one trailing arm bracket needed replacing , As the axle had to be dropped, took the opportunity to have the welder strengthen all the poss weak brackets ie fir top and bottom trailing arms and panhard rod and spring supports.You can get the parts from Arctic but my welder said just as easy and cheaper to fabricate. All epoxied and undercoated ready for corrosion treatment now. Also has him give the underside a good look over and as I thought just surface rust. So ready fir anti corrosion treatment now when it warms up. Thanks fir all the advice.

Great final update on that part Adrian. Sounds like you have a good, competent welder there, with good advice. Look after him . The worst is behind you now.

Good to hear you’ve got it sorted Adrian, you didn’t exactly get off to a good start after buying it so hopefully you can enjoy it now!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good news indeed Adrian, just one bit of advice, if you can try to wash the underside of the Cruiser regularly during the winter if you are in an area with a lot of salt distribution. I generally wash mine off at about once a month with a hot water pressure washer and you can really taste the salt in the water vapour.
I did this with my 1st Cruiser ( a 2 year old 80) all the 16 years I had it and it was one of the best available when I sold it
Just a thought.

Thanks Andy. How did/do you accomplish that? Do you have ramp or just a
Long Lance? I don’t have a pressure washer but happy to get one as preventative maintenance on the basis the less I have to crawl under the Cruiser to deal with rust the better! Any thoughts on best place to source a hot pressure washer? Could also usefully do the underside of the Sprinter camper van ( Westfalia James Cook) as well.

Well as we run trucks and have all the kit most times I lift the Cruiser as high as I dare on the tow bar with a forklift and wash under like that or have it on the truck ramp and wash it there.
I apporeciate that not everyone has these facilities but some effort should be made with ramps or at a garage. We bought a second hand hot water pressure washer for well less than a decent new hobby jobby and its lasted us years. There's always plenty on ebay. Keeping it clean will always keep in good condition.
Although I was picky ( and knew what I was looking for) I found one eventually which was in really solid condition and what I regularly apply, like each time its on the ramp is motorcycle chain lube all over the underneath. Its thick and sticky and if it won't come off a motorbike chain it won't come off the underbody of a Cruiser.
With the ammount I've put on in the past 3 years I doubt my 120 will ever need welding.

Thanks Andy. Will have to think through how I might achieve that. I noticed that one of the suggestions by the Cruiser place near Ledbury was — failing a better solution-to put a garden sprinkler under it now and again.

Know of one place the other side of Shepton on the Frome road that has hot pressure wash for lorries and vans will ask if open and what cost for use happy you got your welding sorted

Mendiptipperwash at Waterlip on the web price of twelve quids and they say that they have new ramps so should be all good

Thanks Steve. Just the job when I am ready to crawl under and start on the ani corrosion stuff- really looking forward to that!!

Back