Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice please... KZJ95 steering wheel 'clock spring'

Euan McGilp

Hopefully someone far more knowledgeable than me can advise:

I have a 2001 KZJ95 Colorado (one of the very last of the 3.0TD engines), which has been in the family since 2002 (originally my wife's truck, now mine).

Sadly, my local Main Dealer isn't very friendly. This was originally a diplomat's truck in Islamabad, bought direct from Japan & to UK Colorado (not Prado) spec., hence they don't believe it exists... frustrating.

The horn began playing up & airbag light coming on. I've stripped the column & found the clock spring internals are knackered.

The problem is, I can't find a part number to cross reference for the Clock Spring unit - can anyone help or is there a recommended supplier that won't break the bank?

Thanks in anticipation.

Euan

I would imagine a breakers to be your best bet. Not a part that Mr T is likely to keep in stock and probably not cheap when ordered. Are you based in Pakistan? Or have you brought the truck this direction?

I got a used one on ebay which unfortunately came with a female connection to meet with the female connection on my loom , but that's just my kind of luck .

I would be very surprised if the clock spring from any 90 series won't fit , even the D4D has the same steering wheel .

It's very rare for them to fail yours is the first i've heard of in my 5 years on the forum , it was the stalk that broke on mine and because it came with the wrong connection i just swapped the stalks instead . That said i am now (4 years later) trying and failing to find the cause of an airbag/seatbelt warning light .

Hi Euan, have a look on Amayama.com. They have very good parts catalogues you can search through. Failing that I would be very surprised if it weren't the same as any UK spec vehicle in a breakers. But of course it will have had similar usage. They're only a cable. Failing that there's Partsouq based in Dubai. Amayama send an email with a quote then send the part, 2-3 weeks later you get either the part or a notice from the post office requiring VAT and/or import duty and an admin fee. You pay this and your parcel arrives. :) or at least that's how it should happen and almost always does.

Good luck with it. Don't set off your airbag will you! :icon-surprised:

Some call it a "squib" .

Toyota main dealers are mostly halfwits we have a club friendly one on here called Simon Holton , i can't find my phone :doh:but his details shouldn't be hard to find with a forum search . Use the registration on a truck for sale and just tell him you need a male or female connection on the part .

Toyota it seems dont rob you when it comes to safety , a brand new front seat belt and retractor was about £140 iirc which seemed reasonable a few years back .

I would imagine a breakers to be your best bet. Not a part that Mr T is likely to keep in stock and probably not cheap when ordered. Are you based in Pakistan? Or have you brought the truck this direction?

Original owner was 'repatriated' in 2002 when Pakistan & India had a "bit of a disagreement" & all non-essential Embassy personnel were sent home (complete with all their goods & chattels). He was immediately posted to Ghana (LHD only, so couldn't take the truck) & I bought it for my wife from the friend he's left it with over here. Only had 6000 miles on it when we got it.

We've got every bit of history for it, including CD plates and original purchase & shipping orders.

More like 160K now, but all maintenance done before anything fails & used, not abused! As for location, we're based out in the boonies near Hereford.

Will see if I can find contact info for Simon as suggested as all the units I've seen online so far have odd connectors compared to mine.

Shayne, as for damage, I've got no continuity down the ribbon cable end to end & it looks like the 'slider' has been gouging out the surface of the internal slip gaskets. Not good...

Thanks to all for responses, much appreciated.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i would like a photo of that if you can manage it , my warning light comes on for a few seconds and goes out as it should only to light up again which makes me think its something ridiculously simple but i can't find a loose connection ?

The part you need is the "Spiral Cable Assembly":

84306CABLE SUB-ASSY, SPIRAL
84306-12070 (01/1998 - 05/1999) 1 € 272.24
84306-35010 (04/1996 - 02/1997) 1 € 247.46
84306-35011 (03/1997 - 12/1997) 1 € 272.24

Amayama show them at £103 from Japan or £86 from UAE.

Simon Holton's contact details are:

Simon Holton
Parts Manager
Steven Eagell Toyota (Northampton)
Ferris Row
Riverside Park
Northampton
NN3 9HX
t: 01604 788303
d: 01604 788308
e: [email protected]
steveneagelltoyota.co.uk

He will only be able to give a small discount on the Toyota prices quoted above (these days, the Euro quote works out to be about the same as Pounds Sterling).

When I had to change mine in the 1998 '95' I couldn't get an earth connection between the steering wheel and the chassis so wired one via one of the unused connections on the ribbon cable.

Bob.

DSCN5013.JPG

DSCN5015.JPG

Thanks to all who've replied, the advice has been much appreciated!

Anyway, I got into it last night & pulled it apart, regrettably without being able to solve the lack of continuity from end to end of the internal ribbon cable - if anyone is interested, at least this will show how it all comes apart (& what you can get away with breaking off - either deliberately or by accident!).

Clearly no-one wants an airbag kicking off by accident. :eusa-naughty:

I disconnected the battery, left lights & wipers on as a drain on any residual current & went & had a cuppa (now, I'd been told both 30 seconds to wait as well as 30 mins to wait, so I wasn't taking any chances - and I reckon I deserved a cuppa, anyway).
upload_2017-11-10_15-0-55.jpeg

Having already dropped off the lower steering column shroud earlier in the day, I confirmed that I'd left the wheel in the straight ahead position & prised off the cover plates on either side of the steering whee. Then I unscrewed the (#30) torx screws (1 on either side which unscrew to a limiting clip - you can see them on the left and right of the wheel, poking through the black clips & ali tabs).
upload_2017-11-10_12-53-10.jpeg

Some gentle(ish) pulling & a squeeze of the clips inside the covers saw the airbag clear the wheel. 2 connectors later & it was put to one side. No "Kaboom" here!:thumbup:

Having undone the centre nut on the wheel, I left it about 3 turns on & pulled the wheel sharply up. doing it this way meant that I didn't get a face full of steering wheel as it came free. Remembering to mark both the steering wheel and the shaft for ease of positioning on reassembly, off came the wheel.

In the top of the 'squib', the yellow connector & cable is Airbag related while the black cable/white connector is the horn wire. 4 screws retain the squib to the steering column (roughly set at 7,11,1 and 5 on a clock face); don't forget to unclip the lower cables (the airbag connector is held by a second retainer over the top of the std one, whilst the horn (now white with red tracer) wire has a standard connector.
upload_2017-11-10_12-55-54.jpeg

The next bit is important to remember... there is an alignment triangle in the 5 o'clock position on inner and outer parts of the squib. keep this lined up as the ribbon cable inside the unit is at the 'neutral' position here (if you are tearing into the innards, follow the instructions on the yellow information tab to reset the centre position). there is also a brown ring on the steering column which locates the inner part of the squib for turning. Do not disturb it's position (the pic below shows the inner ring and the position of the 2 RH mounting screws).
upload_2017-11-10_12-55-34.jpeg

Having tested for continuity across all relevant circuits, there was none & squib felt both very sloppy and 'graunchy' when turning the inner section, so I figured opening it up might tell me something...

There are clips spaced around the lower edge of the unit which prise loose using a 3mm wide screwdriver tip.
upload_2017-11-10_12-59-12.jpeg

The lower section (where the terminals are) has a moulding ending in 2 retaining pins which may or may not prise out cleanly. On mine, one came clear and the other broke off, while I stabbed myself in the thumb with the screwdriver. :sob:Ouch!
upload_2017-11-10_12-56-36.jpeg

Breaking either of these pins isn't a major issue as the clips and the screw mountings around the outside of the unit are close enough to hold everything together on reassembly.

Opening the squib up revealed major scoring /gouging to the plastic bearing surface of the lower spacing plate.
upload_2017-11-10_12-59-37.jpeg

Unfortunately, I couldn't get continuity between any of the relevant pins across the cable, so it would have to go back together temporarily until I can source a replacement.

Interestingly, having checked the part numbers online using the info from members on here (MANY THANKS!:clap:), I can get one locally(ish) for sensible money. Of course, the part# comes up with several vehicle fitment options from the Toyota range...

THIS BIT IS GREAT :text-bs:- Same part, same part number, same supplier - Toyota Starlet is £30 new while Landcruiser is £48 new! Go figure!

Anyway, I epoxied the bearing surface to try and smooth out the action & take up some wear in the system.
upload_2017-11-10_13-1-22.jpeg

upload_2017-11-10_13-47-10.jpeg

I then turned it over to use the reverse surface as this was much smoother than the epoxied one (trimming off the original locating tags to allow it to fit - it is held by the shape inside the casing) & reassembled the unit. It holds together just fine with the clips (no need for the pins after all).

Obviously, reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. Don't forget to line up all relevant markings if you want the wheel to end up exactly where you started.

Although the horn still doesn't work, the new part is on order & I'll update the refit as & when it arrives.

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE!:text-thankyouyello: upload_2017-11-10_12-55-0.jpeg upload_2017-11-10_12-57-6.jpeg upload_2017-11-10_12-57-34.jpeg

Last edited:
Apologies, my Broadband is seriously playing up - an identified line fault & stuff is either not posting or double posting while I wait for an OpenReach engineer to dig down and find the underground damage.

It would be really help if they'd just replace the whole flippin' line 'cos it keeps breaking underground & it would be cheaper in the long run... Aah yes, someone else's responsibility!:lol:

And to add insult to injury.... the Broadband has just come back on (4th failure today & up pops an email from BT telling me how they fixed the problem at 11.40am today! Grrr:angry-cussing:

If a Moderator could 'kill off' the duplicate images (esp at the end), I'd be grateful, thanks.

Hope my previous post is of some use to someone.

Regards,

Euan

Last edited:
Euan, Do you have ground continuity between the steering wheel and the chassis ??

I didn't and I had to rig a new one via the (new) Ribbon Cable before the horn (and presumably the Airbag) would work.

Bob.

Great write up Euan .

My light went off for a minute the other day while driving down hill which makes me think i've the disturbed the sleeping dog with my rummaging and so i should start all over again in the hope to wake it even if i don't actually find the fault .

Had a super conversation with Simon Houlton earlier today - thanks for the contact details, Bob!

What an absolute gentleman he is (hmmmmmmm... Simon / Bob / Simon / Bob - OK, BOTH :thumbup:).
You too, Shayne :icon-biggrin: & anyone else who's shared information.:clap:

Simon couldn't have been more helpful - confirmed info I needed; especially as my truck is later than Bob's info - turns out that 84306-12070 runs up & into D4D engined Collies. Only aggravation is that my supposedly ordered unit has 'disappeared' as has the supplier. No worries, I've got a couple of requests in for info from suppliers of supposedly new parts, so will wait & see. Have also ordered one from overseas, so will see what happens there.

You never know, Shayne, I may end up having a spare squib. If I do, I'll give you a shout in case you need it.

Didn't get to check the continuity, Bob; will hit that tomorrow - I spent too much time on the boss's '77 G20 (deadline for rebuild is 1st Open Track day at Shakey - before they shut it down for good :icon-cry:)

OK, finally, an update...

Having had a really helpful chat with Simon Houlton (thanks Bob), we had agreed that I'd try a more local supplier (non-Toyota) who had the right part number in stock - allegedly...

Nothing happened. Their listing was pulled. Sad Euan... :thumbdown:

Well, a small package arrived yesterday from Germany... as I'd been let down by the company in Birmingham I thought I'd give Shengzhu a try :laughing-rolling: It was under a tenner, delivered from China. AND ALL THE RIGHT PART NUMBERS TOO (yeah, right... :eusa-whistle::eusa-whistle::eusa-whistle:).

Opened the box & it looked pretty similar. Ran a continuity check across all sets of terminals - perfect every time! At least we had a fighting chance of something happening.

Off I went, stripped the airbag & wheel out as per the posts above - wow, I'm getting quick at this...

Off came the old clock spring & on went the new one - a little tight on a couple of the mounting screws - maybe I'd not got it absolutely square (hmm) - all screwed up ok & all connectors back in place easily.

Looking OK so far, just got to fit the final bits & test it out.

20171128_151346_1511907984469_resized.jpg

Wheel on, airbag connected & back on, now to test it out...

WOOOOOOHOOOOO! :happy-wavemulticol::happy-wavemulticol:

IT WORKS!!!!

20171128_153005_1511907989213_resized.jpg

Look, no airbag warning light AND the horn goes 'BEEP'

A happy bunny now & less than £10 from the wallet - sure beats over £270 + VAT...

Hope this helps someone out.
:banana-wrench::banana-wrench::banana-wrench::banana-wrench::banana-wrench::banana-wrench::banana-wrench:

Please tell me they sent you an extra one by mistake :pray:

Shayne,

Afraid no extra hidden in the box, sorry.

Having placed the order on the 11th Nov, it arrived on it's first listed date (27th Nov).

Here's the listing I used:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-8430...903837&hash=item1ecafb4367:g:JEcAAOSweM1aBQ6A

at £9.78 including shipping!

I thought it was worth a punt at that price & at least it works on installation.

Both before and during installation I had also checked full range of movement left to right (over 2.5 turns each way from centred with lock pin in removed, which I then re-centred and replaced to sort final installation). Everything seemed to work fine & is all good so far.

To be honest, even if it fails in a year, it's a cheap enough replacement part now. I'll probably end up ordering a spare so I don't have to wait for the slow boat from China... (groan :techie-ebay:).

Hope this helps :greetings-wavingye:

Your right for that price its worth a punt and so i just ordered one cheers :thumbup:

I'd just like to post my thanks to the OP. :text-bravo:

My airbag light has started to come on permanently.

Having diagnosed the fault using the blink test to code 14= b0101 open in D squib circuit, I know that the fault is somewhere in the steering wheel.

I was glumly contemplating an expensive clock spring replacement... until I found this thread and ordered one for less than £10 from Euan's Ebay link! I don't know if it has worked yet but for less than a tenner I can take the chance.

Back