Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice required on better grip in snow - keep getting stuck!

Angel of the North

Anyone know why I'm struggling to get good grip in the snowy conditions. May be me being completely thick for thinking that my LJ70 would have no problem in light snowy conditions but I keep getting stuck! Had to get pushed out of a carpark that had about 6 inches of snow on! Bit embarrassing! Got stuck twice yesterday but by kind of rocking and spinning the position managed to get free (was simply up on a kerb whilst parked and couldn't get off!). Do I need to be buying some special snow tyres? I tried getting free in H4 and the additional gear lever for if you're really stuck but nothing helped. My pal who also has a (much bigger) landcruiser came to nudge me out of the car park - his drove fine on the snow. We were really puzzled! Am I doing something completely wrong? I thought this thing would eat a moderate snowfall - and that's why I got it!

Any help GREATLY appreciated,

Ange :cry:

are you sure your definatly getting drive to the front wheels? My 70 does fine in the snow, also what tyres are you running?

need some quite sharp edges to get traction in snow - well worn tyres always give the least grip and mud tyres tend to have fewer edges that get rounded off quickly. Any tread pattern that has slits or jagged cuts in the tread block will give improved grip in snow and ice (they act to protect the sharp edges and help expose them only as the tyre goes around, in packed snow they will fill with ice and then bind to the surface to provide traction as well)

It's one reason I went for Hankook Dynapro ATm's instead of BFG AT KO's

It's got automatic FWH in the UK spec cars hasn't it? If it's got manual hubs then they need to be engaged (get out and twist the bit in the middle so that they point to LOCK)

Are they engaging properly if they're auto FWH?

At least you didn't do what I did in the middle of crossing a river... H4 to H2 instead of L4... and then booted it, and span the wheels therefore getting me stuck!

Even if it's got auto freewheeling hubs, don't they require you to reverse in 4wd before they engage?

You shouldn't really be struggling to drive in 6" of snow. Might be worth checking your tyre pressures as well - if they're rock hard you'll be making it more difficult for yourself...

Best of luck,
Toby
1994 HDJ80

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What you describe about the tyres seems to be the issue Majik79. The tread is filled with snow and then simply has no traction - maybe I need different tyres in snowy conditions. Bit gutted - Only had it a month! I'll have to look into the ones you mention.

Hi Paddler Ed - it doesn't have auto FWD - I have to press a button to the right of the steering wheel to engage H4. To engage the L4 I have to Move a small gearstick down near the normal gearstick. Neither made any difference. It does seem to have manual hubs though - so I'm confused! It looks like there's something in the centre that I can turn. Maybe this is the problem. Do I need a special tool to turn the hub position? Thanks

Manual free wheeling hubs have a centre part that acts as the "switch". You turn them clockwise to switch/engage the system. If they have not been used for a long time, they can seize up.There should be markings on the hubs telling you if they are "locked" or "unlocked". If in doubt, try turning the anti clockwise. If they will not turn either way---they can be stiff anyway in cold weather---they may need stripping, cleaning and re-greasing. If they are engaged and you do have 4 wheel drive then look to the tyres or tyre pressures. It would help if you told us what make and model your tyres are and what pressures you are running.

Roger

Tyres filling with snow is a good thing, snow grips snow very well, rubber on the other hand doesnt which is why snow tyres are designed to pick up snow and why mud tyres dont work so well as they are designed to eject mud.

It does sound like your hubs arent engaged. If in doubt put it in 4x4 and in gear jack up the front and try to rotate the front wheels.

What tyres do you have fitted?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Let some air out should be your first attempt at solving the problem because it costs nothing , if tyres are solid (over inflated) there is no flex so even sharp square ridges will fill up and be unable to scoop snow . When the bottom of the tyre is in contact with the snow the tread is spread , so when the contact ends the tire resumes its unladen shape pushing snow out .

Must be something wrong with driver, truck or tyres.....

I was out on the local moors at the weekend and there was lots of ice and snow (difficult to find the road sort of snow:) )

Didn't get any wheel spin unless it was provoked, drove past a shogun sport reversing down from a failed hill climb (tyre tracks in the snow said it all- far to much right foot & getting all sideways) I also love autos on ice as you have more control of speed with the brakes - I'm sure it's not what "they" say you should do but it works for me, I hate ABS when its slippery too.

I have never had issues in snow but its all about momentum and driving very smoothly (something trialing teaches you well)

As for tyres last winter i proved my mitsi outlander will go places that a hilux on BFG all terrains won't in deep snow and its on road tyres.

im not sure what advice to give as much of my ability comes from driving on all sorts of surfaces from a young age, I don't have to think about what to do anymore.

auto hubs, reversing is to DISengage them.
they lock automaticaly when 4 wheel is engaged.
to disengage you go to 2wd and reverse.
Even if it's got auto freewheeling hubs, don't they require you to reverse in 4wd before they engage?

You shouldn't really be struggling to drive in 6" of snow. Might be worth checking your tyre pressures as well - if they're rock hard you'll be making it more difficult for yourself...

Best of luck,
Toby
1994 HDJ80

ice radials are the best in snow. poor tires, poor traction. a good ice radial will allow you to move the treads with your thumb. if they are stiff then they don't grip.

If you've proven that the four wheel drive system was all working on the day then have a go at reducing your tyre pressures as others have suggested. I run an everyday pressure of 36Psi in my tyres, but when I'm planning a long motorway run loaded up for a weekends lanes I'll stick them up to 45Psi and when I get to my destination I'll drop them down to 22/24Psi and leave them there for the whole weekend tarmac driving and all. Since the snow came I've dropped them down to 28Psi and have had no troubles and have not had to lock the center diff as yet. Get back out and have a play with your pressures to see if this makes any difference for you, best hurry though as it'll all be gone by the weekend :icon-biggrin:

You still have not told us what tyres you have fitted...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

crap tyres & my bet balding??
I think so.

May be like these.

Smooth AT tyre1.jpg
Smooth AT tyre2.jpg
Gra.

Back