Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Aerial Mast

Ive changed an electric one but went green laning and snapped it off i ended up taking the motor/mechanism apart and found the remnants of the plastic toothed drive but about three of them :lol: after that i fed in another new one and its all been good since.

Joe

When I bought my truck back in '04, the aerial mast was broken - I looked into changing the whole kaboodle but that seemed like too much hard work.... :roll:

Can't remember where but I found a "How to.." on the interweb - it may be on the "dark" side. I bought just the mast and fed it in....been OK ever since and is still working today. Though now I've said it, probably not tomorrow!

Again sorry I can't remember exactly how......but it was along the lines of; undo the top nut of the aerial on the wheel arch, fully extend the aerial via the dashboard switch, remove the broken mast and insert the nylon teeth into the new mast so they catch, then retract via the dash switch. Re-tighten the top nut.

thats sounds easy enough to give a try thats for sure, I will extend mine and give it a tug to see if it will come out

Yep I did one on the hilux - which is electric - just undo the little chrome bit at the base and pull the old one and cord out, then feed the new one in slowly, there is a cog inside that will bite the teeth on the inner cord and wind it in - when you switch on the cog unwinds and the ring at the bottom of the outer just stops it from shooting on up and out....

Once you know what's inside it is a two min job, however I did take mine to bits before realising this!

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Done mine last year as well... If you have the electric mast then it is an easy job to replace, but if you have the manual pull-out one like I do, it is a bit of a pain since the cable is molded to the antenna and you have to feed the complete new antenna cable all the way back to your radio... Still not too difficult, just a bit frustrating getting your hands into small places...

all done, just fully extend remove nut at base and pull :mrgreen:

Where did you get the replacement aerial? Mine's been missing since we got it!

Mine snapped off quite a while back. I replaced it with an internal aerial stuck to the windscreen just behind the rear view mirror. Good enough for my purposes and I dont have to worry about snapping it. Bought if Hlfrds for less than £20.

SpinDrift said:
Mine snapped off quite a while back. I replaced it with an internal aerial stuck to the windscreen just behind the rear view mirror. Good enough for my purposes and I dont have to worry about snapping it. Bought if Hlfrds for less than £20.
:thumbup: I've done exactly the same.

I got mine on Ebay - loads to choose from - only tip I have is to shorten the plastic geared toothed tip - I think about a foot long is about right - hope I don't bend mine again as I doubt if I can get it out as I left it too long !!

Jack K

Cossack said:
SpinDrift said:
:thumbup: I've done exactly the same.
Me too :D It works very well :thumbup:

P8260207.jpg

Back