Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

After The Floods

G

Hi Peter
Only just picked up on this thread, so apologies if this repeats previous opinions.
Can't comment on the current situation in Mali, but I was there earlier this year so a few general observations.
We travelled from Bamako, Segou, Mopti, Dogon, Tomboctou, Essakane (for the festival) and back via Burkino Faso.. 80% of that journey is on tarmac or relatively hard roads. Once you get beyond Tomboctou then it becomes significantly more difficult. There, you will find little more than tracks in the scrub (often several sets of tracks in parallel where others have tried to avoid soft spots, etc), no signs, and very few settlements. There is passing traffic but we were there at festival time so that was not representative. Plenty of occasions where the track forks and it's largely intuition as to whether you bear left or right. If that's the sort of area that you're planning to travel through then I suggest that you consider hring a local guide. They can be picked up in most towns and larger villages for not much cost. In addition they can be useful in dealing with local encounters on the way.
It's festival season in West Africa throughout January so you might consider timing your visit accordingly. I can send some web links if of interest.
January temperatures were about 35C at midday down to a low of about 7C at night (in the semi desert)
Plenty of Landcruisers to be seen, mostly 20 years old+, although there are a few newer ones (plus of course the brand new ones used by the UN and some NGO's)
Have a good trip
Ken
----- Original Message -----
To: [Email address removed]
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 12:38 PM
Subject: [ELCO] After The Floods

Cedric
Once again very many thanks for all your advice.
We leave in about 3 weeks time and, although we won't be in the areas of Mali, Burkina Faso and Ghana that were hit by the floods for about 6 - 8 weeks after that, I wondered if you could give me an indication of the residual effect the floods have had on the road infrastructure of the effected areas. Are routes normally passable even if with local detours around gaps,bridges down ,etc? Can we plan ahead and generally not worry about being unable to get from A to B?
Many thanks
Regards
Peter
'94 1HD-T(auto), 2.5"OME, oil cooler

Yes, east via Gao, and that was probably the worst stretch of the journey in terms of travelling conditions. Having said that, all of these (non-hard surface) routes are relatively well used and providing you are a competent driver in sandy conditions, and have the basics shovels, winch, etc, then you should be OK. It was the navigation in these areas that we found to be the biggest problem.
In the towns and larger settlements there are basic hotels (and a few very good ones), guest houses,and camping hotels (semi-permanent tents within a secure "compound" which you can hire for the night, most will allow you to overnight there in your own vehicle/tent). Most of these countires have been under colonial rule in the past and vestiges of that still remain within the infrastructure.
I am based in Norfolk but will be away from my desk most of this week. Should be back next week when I'll mail you my number. It's probably easier to chat than e.mail ?. In the meantime will try and dig out a few links and forward them on. When do you depart ?
Rgds
Ken
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 1:27 PM
Hi Ken,
Thanks for your reply and kind offer of web links. Please send any information (links, campsites, auberges, missions stayed at, way points, routes etc) you have, we will be travelling the areas you mentioned,coming from Mauritania and eventually making for Ghana and points south.
I would appreciate giving you the third degree, you don't happen to live near London !? or perhaps off list?
When you mention your route beyond Tomboctou, did you go east to Gao?
Thanks
Regards
Peter

Let's put it this way : there was not that much infrastructure to be damaged
in the first place.
But levels are now down back to normal so road situations back to normal
also.
Plan, but with flexibility, as usual.
Cedric
From: [Email address removed] [mailto:[Email address removed]] On
Behalf Of [Email address removed]
Sent: lundi 5 novembre 2007 12:39
Cedric
Once again very many thanks for all your advice.
We leave in about 3 weeks time and, although we won't be in the areas of
Mali, Burkina Faso and Ghana that were hit by the floods for about 6 - 8
weeks after that, I wondered if you could give me an indication of the
residual effect the floods have had on the road infrastructure of the
effected areas. Are routes normally passable even if with local detours
around gaps,bridges down ,etc? Can we plan ahead and generally not worry
about being unable to get from A to B?
Many thanks
Regards
Peter

Yes, had I have read your e.mail in less of a rush, I would have found that out.
My work number is 01284 728633. There most weekdays from about 08 15 to 17.00.
Feel free to give me a call any day next week. Prefer it to be after 10 30 or so as mornings can be busy
Rgds
Ken
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 2:10 PM
Subject: Re: [ELCO] After The Floods
Ken,
Looks like we will be departing some time around the period 18 - 25 Nov. I look forward to talking to you next week.
Regards
Peter

A few links to keep you going. Trouble is you can end up with information overload
Rgds
Ken
http://www.virtualtourist.com
http://www.festival-au-desert.org
http://www.travelafricamag.com
http://www.tamashek.org
http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com
http://www.thisfabtrek.com/journey/africa/mali
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 2:10 PM
Subject: Re: [ELCO] After The Floods
Ken,
Looks like we will be departing some time around the period 18 - 25 Nov. I look forward to talking to you next week.
Regards
Peter

Back