Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Aftermarket headlight upgrade - LC100

Lottajo

Country Flag
united_states
Anyone have any suggestions for an upgraded headlight set? I have already put the best halogen bulbs possible into the OEM headlights. Now I'm looking for something that updates the look and is preferably LED that will fit into the housing with minimal mods. I have been searching but have not run across anything that fits all my criteria. Looking for suggestions...

Philips Ultinon LED lamps. No need to change the housing and they won’t disappoint. I’ve had mine several years now, maybe 4, I lose track. My MOT tester said they were the best pattern LEDs he had seen. The difference is night and day compared to halogens, no pun intended.
You’ll cry at the price but do it and you won’t regret it. Mine are in my 80 and they show on cones 150 to 200m ahead, in daylight! That said, reflective strips do show up far better under LED light. Don’t know what fitting lamp is in the hundees but H4 is what I have. There’s a thread on here about them somewhere. I might have even started it. :lol:

Hmm, was interested in those Ultinon, but just looked them up and the description says they are not legal for road use.

Don't know where you were looking but I looked them up and they all say "50-state legal for road use" in the USA. Now I'm trying to figure out which one fits with the LC

UK internet mate. Some say nothing, some, it is up to the user to confrm legality, some, not legal for road use. Confusing eh ?

Indeed.... confusing to say the least! I was looking at Tirerack.com where they sell these bulbs. In the US its probably illegal to sell something this is not street legal or DOT approved. Try their site. I've had GREAT experiences over the years with Tire Rack

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah, I think the problem here is, you're in US, I'm in UK, different laws and regulations apply, I guess.
Your thread, but I responded mainly to StarCruisers report, as hes in UK, and I thought the bulbs sounded good for home use.

Every vehicle LED you buy in the UK says ‘for off road use’. I asked my MOT tester about this and he said it’s a grey area. It’s probably that legislation hasn’t kept pace with technology, well, that’s my guess anyway. I decided to keep my old pair of halogens handy in case I’m stopped, where I can simply change back to candles and continue in the gloaming. It hasn’t happened yet, but then it took the fuzz 14 years to catch me and tell me my front window film was 2 points over the legal limit. I peeled it off and continued on my way after the nice officer issued both the enforcement notice and the satisfactory completion form at the same time.

The main thing is not blinding people so mine got adjusted at my MOT station the day I put them in. The disclaimer means it’s on the user’s head, not the manufacturer’s. If they save me running someone or something over that I couldn’t see before, then they’ve got to be a good thing… haven’t they?

Last edited:
Not really a grey area.....

"Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible."

IIRC this was brought in as a "fail" sometime last year although I have LED bulbs in my headlamps and the beams are OK so it passed the MOT last Sept. It's due again in a couple of weeks. I still have the halogens to refit but intend to leave the LEDs in and chance it.

It was another case of chancers fitting all sorts of stupid bulbs (cheapest ebay special "HIDs" mostly) ruining it for everyone else.

They seem fairly pricey, but the lifespan should compensate for that I think?

Not every vehicle led for sale in the UK I've looked at, says "for off road use". As said, some say nothing. Seems by those saying "for off road use only", they do not conform, so put the onus on the user, but what about the suppliers or manufacturers that say nothing.
It's an inconvenience to say the least, if stopped and given the chance to rectify by other bulbs carried with you, you have to start removing batteries to get to them.
Each to their own.

+ 1.
Good point TP, certainly looks like it, especially as they have given a definate date from which they can't be modified. Ergo, anything before that date can. Daft innit ?

That may well be the case but I've had LED bulbs in my Collie for around 8-9 years and testers have never even commented on them at MoT time - I must have been to 3 or 4 separate MoT stations in that time too.

Perhaps I've been lucky? :icon-wink:

"Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible."

IIRC this was brought in as a "fail" sometime last year although I have LED bulbs in my headlamps and the beams are OK so it passed the MOT last Sept. It's due again in a couple of weeks. I still have the halogens to refit but intend to leave the LEDs in and chance it.
This has come in since I fitted mine and since my tester commented, it was a grey area at the time.
Like I say, keep a pair of spare candles, sorry halogens, somewhere on the truck and change if need be, or if concerned, change before the MOT. With properly aimed good quality LEDs with a perfect beam pattern, I don’t see the issue. A common sense approach would say that if the beam pattern was poor it should fail. In other words if they were going to cause problems on the road. Common sense however is in short supply these days.

Though you may find some that don’t say ‘For off road use only’ they won’t say ‘legal for use on road’ either.

The issue with LEDs and more so HIDs in lenses designed for halogens is the filament position is set for halogens. Unless the light source exactly mimics the filament of a halogen lamp, it won’t be in exactly the same spot.

The thing is, I can’t imagine the likes of Phillips designing and tooling up for something dodgy. I also imagine them lobbying the DoT to get sensible guidelines in place. Whether or not this happens remains to be seen. As it is, the change in ruling is a blunt instrument.

So, going back to the original question, the answer is to look for after market HID or LED headlamp units. I know they are made for the 80 but as far as the hundee goes, I can offer no further assistance. If you intend to be squeaky clean then I wish you luck finding them and look forward to seeing the result. One place to look might be the makers of the 80 ones to see if they do ones for the hundee. @clivehorridge and @Chas have/had these fitted as well as one or two others.

I think you'd have to be very unlucky to get stopped and get a ticket for HID/LED bulbs in your lights, unless you dazzle a traffic cop at night. Banning them carte blanche is just the easiest way of dealing with the "problem". A vehicle can still fail the MOT with halogen bulbs in if the beams are out and they can't be focused due to seized adjusters, this happened to a friend of mine, so I can't see why HID/LED upgrades can't be treated the same way but they aren't so we're stuck with it. Hey ho.:wtf:

StarCruiser,
I just like to be sure in the knowledge that bulbs I buy, that are not cheap, work properly and conform from the start, not when plod pulls me or the mot tester says differently.
Carrying originals that you could possibly change if given that opportunity, maybe in the rain/dark, therefor confirms you yourself are not sure if they conform or not, otherwise why carry them or possibly change come mot?
In any given situation, there will always be boat loads of people that go around thinking it will be ok, and nothing gets said. Thats how it goes.
We all have different opinions based on facts gathered, and no offence intended, we just agree to differ.

Back