Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Aftermarket Power steering rack

Briane

Country Flag
uk
Do any members have experience of the aftermarket power steering rack for a 2001 Amazon which Milner offer? Their price is about £280 compared to the local Toyota stealership who are quoting about £1,700. Their price is very tempting but I have read some reports that suggest that the quality of some of the aftermaket parts is questionable and, in view of this, I wonder if it is too risky to take a chance with such an important part. Any thoughts?

I put a RoughTrax steering rack on my 90 two years ago and have had no problems with it including 2 trips to Morocco

I put a RoughTrax steering rack on my 90 two years ago and have had no problems with it including 2 trips to Morocco
Many thanks for your helpful reply. I have now ordered the rack and both track rod ends from Roughtrax and they were well organised and very helpful.

Many thanks for your helpful reply. I have now ordered the rack and both track rod ends from Roughtrax and they were well organised and very helpful.
@Briane Would be nice to hear how the rack measures up. Does it look OEM?

@Briane Would be nice to hear how the rack measures up. Does it look OEM?
Its outward appearance seemed to be identical, it was about the same weight or maybe slightly heavier and there were no fitting problems. I checked the quality standards of the manufacturer via the Roughtrax website and everything checked out well. Finally, rightly or wrongly, I reasoned that in the 16 years since the original rack on my LC was made, manufacturing standards have improved and so the quality of this aftermarket rack should be at least as good as the original. It is, of course, very early days but so far all is well with the steering and if any premature problems do develop, I will definitely post the details on this site. For now, I am very happy with the product and pleased to have saved £1400 on the price quoted by Toyota.

Its outward appearance seemed to be identical, it was about the same weight or maybe slightly heavier and there were no fitting problems.....It is, of course, very early days but so far all is well with the steering and if any premature problems do develop, I will definitely post the details on this site.
Hi Briane
Can I ask how you feel about the rack now? I am in the same situation as you were.
Cheers,
Simon

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Do any members have experience of the aftermarket power steering rack for a 2001 Amazon which Milner offer? Their price is about £280 compared to the local Toyota stealership who are quoting about £1,700. Their price is very tempting but I have read some reports that suggest that the quality of some of the aftermaket parts is questionable and, in view of this, I wonder if it is too risky to take a chance with such an important part. Any thoughts?
Hi Briane, what was the mileage on your 100 when you needed a new rack?

Back