Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Afternoon from the sunny Pyrenees

Biscuit

Country Flag
france
So, my name's Alex, currently based down in the Mediterranean end of the Pyrenees, France side, having given up on London and moved here with the girlfriend and baby last June.

I'm taking delivery of a 1982 BJ42 on Friday - 230k km, power steering and 5 speed. The previous owner has been renovating it for the last 10 years, so everything mechanical is pretty much like new. The body is in pretty good shape, with just a couple of small holes that'll need fixing and it currently doesn't have any doors or roof. Not sure how fussed I am about replacing them, we don't get too much rain down here. I've got a bit of electrical work to do to hook up the lights, wipers and other switches, then sort interior out. I'd like to keep it as stock as possible, but that'll depend as much on the availability of parts as anything else - I've ordered a couple of bits but having problems finding others.

There's not too much of a rush on the work though, it's not going to get much road use unless there's an emergency. It's mainly to get me around the mountain, help with some landscaping and tree felling (central heating all comes from the fire out here).

Had a bit of 4x4 experience over the years, drove round Mongolia, Australia & NZ back in the day, and currently living off road :)

Anyway, just thought I'd get the wordy stuff out of the way so I can focus on the pictures when it arrives...

Excellent. We'll be down your way in a couple of weeks as we run down the Pyrenees to the Med and on up through France. Might need some local tips!

Looking forward to the pics. We need more 40's on the forum

Welcome to this friendly forum.

Sourcing bits may not be too much of a problem as there are a couple of places that you may want to search:
www: megastore4x4.pr (in Portugal)
www: euro4x4parts.com (in France but int'l office is in Spain)
www:specteroffroad.com (in USA) They have loads of original parts but only ship outside US continent against money orders.

Have a look at the 40 section on here as there a several build up threads and most any problem you may encounter is probably already covered but if not just ask.
When we got ours, like you, no doors or roof and we acquired a set of aluminium half doors from www:sor.com and then came across a brand new set of full doors so if you wanted to go half doors, I am sure we could work something out.

Looking forward to the photos!

Regards,

Rodger

Welcome :)) Do post pics when you can. The 40's are legends :) . My mate here owns two. They are amazing off roaders.

Excellent. We'll be down your way in a couple of weeks as we run down the Pyrenees to the Med and on up through France. Might need some local tips!

Looking forward to the pics. We need more 40's on the forum

We're near a little town called Ceret, if you're passing close by send me a PM and I'd be happy to offer some tips on things to do or meet up for a beer, other half and baby permitting.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome to this friendly forum.

Sourcing bits may not be too much of a problem as there are a couple of places that you may want to search:
www: megastore4x4.pr (in Portugal)
www: euro4x4parts.com (in France but int'l office is in Spain)
www:specteroffroad.com (in USA) They have loads of original parts but only ship outside US continent against money orders.

Have a look at the 40 section on here as there a several build up threads and most any problem you may encounter is probably already covered but if not just ask.
When we got ours, like you, no doors or roof and we acquired a set of aluminium half doors from www:sor.com and then came across a brand new set of full doors so if you wanted to go half doors, I am sure we could work something out.

Looking forward to the photos!

Regards,

Rodger
That's great thanks Roger, will bookmark those suppliers. I've already had a bit of a nose through the 40 section but no doubt I'll be spending more time there once I get to work. The electrical system on the the 40 doesn't look too complicated, but many an epic journey starts with that phrase...

I was actually looking for a set of half doors, I'll send you a PM, assuming that's how things are done round here :)

We're probably a little bit north of that but if we need a pair of axles stands and a jack we might have to divert!

I can't PM yet Roger, so get in touch when you get a chance regarding the half doors.

No worries Chris, but feel free to get in touch if any emergencies

Welcome aboard Alex, true as said, can't get enough pics of 40s, a great piece of kit!

Good to have another Franglais on the list! We are not that far away....well, up quite a bit and across the other side lol. Love the 40's, so cute :)

Thanks for the warm welcome all, hopefully I'll have some interesting photos for you come Friday!

Back