Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air con compressor question

mettisse

Supporter
Hello, I need a new air-con compressor for the 80 series Bruiser. I see on flea bay pumps advertised that are Ford Transit units compatable to use with the 80. The issue is they are £100 cheaper than the Toyo units advertised, yep big saving, trouble is I am a sceptic, are they really the proper job?
Does anyone have any experience with these units? Can I get one from a Ford dealer? I ask because I need it urgent, going on holiday soon, ( too soon, no time)
I would be very grateful for any information regarding this, thanks in advance, Bill Westley

Got a link for the eBay units Bill?

Hi, don't know how to link, but I searched J80 Air con compressor and up it came, on eBay, easy, just did it again, came up first time

Hi, don't know how to link, but I searched J80 Air con compressor and up it came, on eBay, easy, just did it again, came up first time
Just tried it Bill and nothing suitable came up that I could see.

Look for 'share' in the eBay listing then 'copy link' then paste the link in your reply here.

You really need a Denso or Sanden compressor. Not a Chinese one.

Found one. Sit down won't you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121130909132

That's a genuine Denso one so exactly what you have. However the manifold plate looks different which if it arrives like that is no big deal as this can be swapped from your old compressor. You may also need some more oil as it says 100ml. The correct amount is on the Frankenstein thread. Don't be put off by the 'R12' refrigerant. R134a is a drop in replacement which is more than likely in your vehicle.

For that money it may be worth calling Toyota for a price. Simon Holton maybe. Worth the comparison.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I got mine from Toyota in the end. It's a denso recon and cost £300.

I also swapped out the bearing on the clutch.

Hello, thanks for the response and links, well appreciated.
The existing pump is leaking around the main gasket on the body, it was a recon unit about 8 years ago, and I remember it wasn't cheap, I would like to buy the best unit I can find really.
I will make equiries on Tuesday after the Bank Holiday, I do need one quickly as we are away next Monday , a small excursion to Corsica, and air con will be required, or SWMBO will not be a happy girl ( 63) and can still roar like a lioness when she ain't happy, I will post the results, and thanks again Bill Westley

Back