Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air con for 80 series required

Bern78

Hi All, just acquired an awesome 80 series for an overland trip. No air con though. Since I'll go through all 4 seasons, it may be a welcome addition.
Any ideas if its possible to fit an air con and the rough cost? Can anyone point me in the direction of anyone able to provide a kit second hand maybe?
Thanks!

Hi bern i found out by accident the other day you can actually buy a 12v aircon gadget that just plugs into your lighter socket . I didn't pay much attention but i think it said a bottle of water needs changing every 8 hours . You probably want something more sophisticated but as a last resort it worth knowing .

hi shayne,
where did you find this?

Just google 12v air conditioner and you will find loads .

Look at - Westfalia mini air conditioner . I tried to copy and paste but it wont work for some reason ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You need to change the heater matrix as well. you must have bought a 12v manual also. same predicament as me. you can use any pump/compressor but the heater matrix wants to fit into your system if you want a neat job...

Hi, mines a 12v 1993 auto without aircon, i thought the same as you as we were about to do the Draa valley last year, i contemplated has it retro fitted but if you speak to more and more people regarding air con in Africa they may say more people are ill as a result of using it? , your body is going from one extreme to the other constantly, if its any good to you we managed fine without it and never missed it, its just what you get used to really, even at 44 deg in the desert! one thing i will advise though is get your windows tinted, it make hell of a difference and keeps the sun at bay, it has a two fold advantage, people can't see in the back and its great at reflecting the sun.

What Langy said about people getting ill going from hot to cold all the time is very true . With this in mind i think maybe i would opt instead for an extractor fan similar to the ones you put in a bathroom window . Sitting in a metal box has gotta be warmer than sitting outside and winding windows down to extract heat means you choke on dust . So an extractor fan fitted in the roof with maybe one of them bonnet scoops facing rearward on top might be an idea . A fridge works mainly by sucking warm air out so i'd guess with an extractor you could expect your truck to stay a few degrees cooler than the outside temperature .
I could be wrong but it makes sense to me .

I'm heading to the alps in july with two dogs so its more for them than for me! I think aircon was standard on all uk 12v autos according to the sales brochure. 12v manual didn't come with it but not sure if it could be got as an optional extra

We ended up managing just fine without it. (Even in the desert as you said Langy). Heater worked fine when it was cold, so I) cant see myself really needing an aircon in Europe if I managed without through Africa.
Before I left I was told I will be looking at at least 2.5k to custom fit and aircon, just not worth it. Never tried to free standing job.

After quite some traveling in Africa, I found that a aircon is nice for when you are driving on highways (i.e. roads on which you can drive fast for a long time) e.g. for a transfer from one city to another. You tend to want to close the windows and it is something you can do during a time of day where it is too hot to spot game or hike or anything else. So yes, I had the same problem, bought a 80 without aircon and had to retrofit. I added a used factory evaporator (50€) as IRLGW suggests, a new stock condenser (150€) and filter and a compressor and trinary switch from a Volvo S40 (free). The main challenge was to get the compressor and crankshaft pulley aligned correctly. Other costs including some welding of aluminum tubing : 150€. You also need a controller (ECU) to avoid prevent the evaporator from freezing up (espescially in Africa). For that I used a home-made design.
While I was working on this, I stumbled across a local company that installs after-market aircons. According to them an installation would cost a little over 1000€ and take two days. I would have preferred that option to doing it myself given the difficulty aligning compressor and crankshaft (I'm using a multi-V belt).

Regularly do long trips in the Sahara without AC. Only time I wished it work was when we caught in a big sandstorm with 45 degree temperatures.

You’re much better off acclimatising to the weather conditions your travelling in than sitting in a cooled box.

Most long term travellers I’ve met or travelled with don't bother with AC. You really do notice when it’s a group with a mix, those who acclimatise just get on with things whereas those who sit AC all day just moan about the heat constantly

True words said Mark.. Iv been driving round in my old C15 Van with no air con in this heat wave, No problems! We went up to Suffolk in the missus Car with air con on, ended up turning it Off. It was eating away at my neck and shoulders.. Im quite happy with the windows down and the Vents Open... Your right about people with air con moan about the Heat More, Not just in cars but Offices Too etc etc, PS Iv just noticed how old the original post was!:wtf:

Last edited:
My works Tranny has no aircon and it’s like a friggin oven in hot weather. Never heard about any health issues repeatedly going from hot to cool and I just can’t see the point in sweating it out to ‘acclimatise’ when you can just hit a button and enjoy the journey. AC should be compulsory. JMO

If you acclimatise there is no sweating because you’re used to the temperatures.

OP is talking about an overland trip.........

Last edited:
I would think that the body, like anything else, would heat up in hot environment. The only adaptation to keep a stable temperature is to produce more sweat in heat ? Your body can't get used to a higher core temperature. You'd die first.

Iv still got an old air con pump and Bracket kicking about somewhere... For 'un' 80

Most of our time is spent outside on our overland trip and that is where we are doing the acclimatisation. When traveling in the heat it’s much hotter in the car than outside so the air con is very welcome when in the move - especially when in motor ways. For us it just makes the travelling much more comfortable

Back