Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air Con Relay Location 90?

br1anuk

Can anyone tell me the location of the relay for the air con on a 2001 Land cruiser 90 D4D?
I want to try and give it a knock to see if thats why my air cons not working or if its seized.
Ive had the system re gassed the end of last summer and the mechanic said to leave the air con switched on and the pump might free off. It has a go every now and then, but won't engage and I thought Id try the relay trick but I can't find it.
Ive looked in the handbook and checked the under bonnet fuse box and can't find it. I believe its usually a small white box relay.
Thanks for any help.
Brian

Hi mate my workshop manual for my VZJ95R says it's behind the glovebox, on the lower right side. It's to the right of the fan resistor and has a connector coming out of the left side of the module. Module itself looks the size of a cigarette packet or just smaller. I'm guessing the module contains the relay plus control circuit as AC was an option certainly for my 2000 model.

Ive just been out and looked and as far as i can see theres no fuses behind the glovebox on my 2001 KDJ95. There are some down under the dash by the steering wheel but I can't see any relays???

Relay is unlikely to fail in my opinion. Is your compressor not kicking on? Maybe it's actually seized? If you check for power at the connector it will tell you if power is being sent to the compressor which would indicate the relay is working.

Other reasons why it may not come on is if it's too low or too much freon is in the system.

Workshop book I have has a pic and it looks just like a generic plastic box - it does not look like a normal relay. The relay is likely inside the box probably on a printed circuit board. You don't see a small black box as I described?

As @Beau suggested might be worth investigating the AC clutch wiring. If you can determine the +12v clutch wire you could always apply 12v to this and see if the clutch activates and the AC gets cold. At least you'll know if the wiring is good and if the clutch is good that way.

Let me know if you need a hand identifying the AC wiring- no guarantees on accuracy etc., but my manual covers the diesel version of the 95 as well, but it is based on an Australian model so may be different if you're not here.

If all else fails the driver lower door trim is full of relays but the AC relay click for my VZJ95R comes from where my workshop manual says.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Easiest just to see if theres gas in the system. Push the valve and see if theres real pressure, not just a fart.

Back