Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air conditioning BJ73

rhd is easier to source parts, even in uk.

lhd, u need lots of luck, very difficult to source parts.

but, its possible. u need to check if your electric has the conectors for ac and to see if the nuts/bracksts to fit the ac unit under the dash board are in place.

Aircon was an option on the 73. A friend here in Spain has it fitted in his un-modified truck.

Regards
Rodger

I fitted aircon to my UK LJ70.

All the components inside the cab are the same across all 70 series models (up to when they changed the dash from metal to plastic).

So the evaporator, controls, small wiring loom with little black electrical box, should be easy to source and fit. The wiring loom and controls will plug straight into your loom.

The pipes in the engine bay can always be made up by any hose place, if you struggle to source the correct ones.

The condenser shouldnt be too hard to source as a much more common 75 series one will bolt straight on (in fact you could get all the components from a 75 and Toyota sold hundreds of thousands of them down here).

Then its just the compressor and mounting bracket you will need to source for your engine.

There is normally a single wire in the engine bay, even on non aircon models, which goes to the compressor once fitted to the engine.

Fitting aircon to a non aircon 70 really isnt that difficult or that complex once you get the bits.

Make sure if fitting second hand pipes/hoses to use new O rings and they will need a little smear of aircon oil on them when fitting. The compressor will also need some oil in it but I just left that up to the aircon place who flushed my system then refilled it with oil, gas and dye. Its worth paying a little extra for the dye as it makes finding any leaks super easy! :thumbup:

I fitted aircon to my UK LJ70.

All the components inside the cab are the same across all 70 series models (up to when they changed the dash from metal to plastic).

So the evaporator, controls, small wiring loom with little black electrical box, should be easy to source and fit. The wiring loom and controls will plug straight into your loom.

The pipes in the engine bay can always be made up by any hose place, if you struggle to source the correct ones.

The condenser shouldnt be too hard to source as a much more common 75 series one will bolt straight on (in fact you could get all the components from a 75 and Toyota sold hundreds of thousands of them down here).

Then its just the compressor and mounting bracket you will need to source for your engine.

There is normally a single wire in the engine bay, even on non aircon models, which goes to the compressor once fitted to the engine.

Fitting aircon to a non aircon 70 really isnt that difficult or that complex once you get the bits.

Make sure if fitting second hand pipes/hoses to use new O rings and they will need a little smear of aircon oil on them when fitting. The compressor will also need some oil in it but I just left that up to the aircon place who flushed my system then refilled it with oil, gas and dye. Its worth paying a little extra for the dye as it makes finding any leaks super easy! :thumbup:

Thanks for the help Ben.

This should give me a head start, I'm just looking around for the bits right now, going to start collecting.
:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the help Ben.

This should give me a head start, I'm just looking around for the bits right now, going to start collecting.
:thumbup:

Do you know anything about the VM 2.5 TD 5 cylinder engine and getting the best out of it ? I've started a other thread
Upgrading the VM 2.5 TD 5 Cylinder (HR 588 OHV) engine

Errol, is your BJ a 12volt or a 24 volt?
the 24volt airco ecu is very difficult to source but you can do a workaround with a 12 volt ecu, a 24-12 convertor and 2 relays. I did this with my HZJ75

the 24volt airco ecu is very difficult to source but you can do a workaround with a 12 volt ecu, a 24-12 convertor and 2 relays. I did this with my HZJ75

It has 2 batteries, so I am going to assume that is a 24 volt version.... No manual

It has 2 batteries, so I am going to assume that is a 24 volt version.... No manual
Not so fast now! There’s 80 series with two batteries that sit at 12v until the key is turned and then start at 24v and others that have two batteries permanently connected at 12v plus the 24v setup. Post up a photo of the connections overall and we can have a look. Also your headlamps should be marked 12v or 24v on top of the moulding if they’re anything like the 80 series.

Not so fast now! There’s 80 series with two batteries that sit at 12v until the key is turned and then start at 24v and others that have two batteries permanently connected at 12v plus the 24v setup. Post up a photo of the connections overall and we can have a look. Also your headlamps should be marked 12v or 24v on top of the moulding if they’re anything like the 80 series.

Okay good tip, I will have a look tomorrow and take a few pics. Thanks

It has two batteries, but I looked at the headlamps and they had 12V moulded on them. Going to take some decents pics!

I'm trying to figure out what parts I need in order to get AC in my '92 HZJ75. I'm not fussed whether I have to buy parts new or find them on a scrapheap, but just looking to have a complete list of things that I'd need for a mechanic to be able to fit it in. Reason for it is that I'm having trouble finding a mechanic that will also source parts for me.

image.jpg
12 volt ac in 24 volt system :
I put the converter and the relays in the glove box. The amplifier and the connector are just behind it.

Last edited:
View attachment 143033 12 volt ac in 24 volt system :
I put the converter and the relays in the glove box. The amplifier and the connector are just behind it.

Thanks so much - I'm going to have a look make sure I'm at 12V - the truck used to have 2 batteries but 1 is removed - to be honest I have no clue what I'm talking about here and slowly learning. I'll be looking a bit more to see if I can find a company that can help in AU but if I can't I'll definitely reach out to Frans. Hopeful to avoid shipping, and seeing AU has so many troopies something should give at some point :)

@Errol Reid and @dram84 : get a ac unit from a wrecked 70. It's not that much work and it is quite straightforward if you learn first what parts you need. be sure to plug all the connectors and buy a new dryer.
also check if the compressor hasn't seized. you should be able to turn the inside of the pulley by hand.

Hi Firewout, could you tell me which resources you have used to install the A/C? The information in the 1HZ manual seems to be quite limited. I am about to tackle the same job on my HZJ78. Thanks!

Back