Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air flow?

Neal Guthrie

Hi Guys!
So i have a 95 series Auto V6. i have looked online for various "power Increase" options... all i want is more top end torque. i want to cruise up a long-ish hill will out having to "Kick back" currently i have to switch OD off or press the loud pedal down more. but i would like to be able to stay cruising at say 110Km/h with out having to press the pedal hard to kick back or switch OD off....

i bought the vehicle in March this year and i have done a service, plugs oils and air filter, cleaned MAF and will still get the the throttle body, just waiting for the gaskets to arrive. already there is a marked improvement and i was thinking... AIR FLOW. so i did some searching and found this.........

AIRAID air flow intake pipe- i can only post links after 15 posts... :icon-rolleyes:

Now i know you ALL know about this product :whistle::shifty::shifty: but being here in there in SA where the Colorado/Prado was/is NOT very popular.... so spares and accessories are almost unheard of and stealers rip you a new one for parts as they are mostly EX japan! :( so we dont get the "toys" you guys get.... :(
Anyway..... who among you have tried this product and is it worth while???

they say it increases the air flow by 400cfm's? what ever that means. as i have looked at the factory set up and there are those resonators and the concertina effect pipe... all that MUST restrict air flow??

if this has been discussed elsewhere please can those in the know refer me to the relevant thread???

I know it's not going to make the difference you think it's going to make. :whistle:

It might make a slight improvement in flow over the standard intake, but at best you're going to make 2 or 3 hp. Maybe a bit more if you remapped also. You'd have just as much effect going for a really good sh*t before getting in the car.

The OE air intake is probably more than adequate for the standard heads. It's all well and good giving the engine more flow potential with bigger intakes etc but to benefit the heads will probably need porting or some valve or cam work to show any significant benefit. JMO

So what you are essentially saying is rather save the money and have the heads ported and put better exhaust inlet and outlet manifolds on over std exhaust? Will i lose low down torque this way?
Doodle- when you say remap, do you mean UNI-chip???

Re-mapping or re-chipping the ECU may be the most cost effective way of liberating a bit more power. When you get into tuning the heads with bigger valves, longer longer duration cams and high flow exhaust headers etc you can be looking at £1000's. Ideally you need to find a tuner or someone who is familiar with your particular engine and can advise the best way to go. Engines can be tuned for a lot more top end, more low or midrange or and sometimes an increase across the whole range. I've rebuilt and tuned a few engines in the past, cars and bikes. Different engines respond differently to mechanical tuning. A V6, 4x4 Sierra I had years back was rebuilt standard except for a 'fast road' cam which made a noticeable difference in the low to mid range but only slightly at the top of the rev range but the car felt much faster to drive because the extra power was were you need it most on the road. If the engine has a lot of miles or is getting a bit tired it may even benefit from a simple de-coke or overhaul restoring the lost 'OE' power. JMO

Last edited:
I've seen the Aussie guys talk about fitting a supercharger for best value power increases.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I found simply swapping the paper air filter with a K&N high flow filter produced a very noticeable difference on my 90 but i also have a custom exhaust so perhaps one just compliments the other and may not be as noticeable when used with a standard exhaust ? . The K&N filter is part number E-2444 .

These trucks come standard running very lean meaning just enough fuel to air ratio. This is for emission and fuel economy. It's not bad enough to effect performance though.

All I'm trying to say here, is that to get better gains out of this engine the fuelling must be upped a little in-line with boost (air). Many of those Air systems have been tested and in the long run they do more damage by not filtering probably.

The only common sense gain I can see these systems doing is delivering the initial air slightly quicker than before, therefore the turbo should spool up slightly quicker. Whether someone can tell the difference, I do not know

Back