Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Air suspension: Expected lifespan with proper maintenance?

George L

Country Flag
greece
From your experience, what is the average expected lifespan of the air suspension before it requires major fixing or replacement? In terms of years or mileage....

Hi,
Mine is 135k miles and not had anything done in its history that I can find, only on the rear though
Did have problems with the levelling sensors when one broke off but managed to get that sorted with an easy replacement part
When I bought it I expected to be doing a 'back to springs' conversion by now but they have been OK

Simon

Mines on about 110k, and nothing's been done to that either, some of the problems seem to stem from corroded height sensors etc or the mounting brackets so i keep them and the pump and everything else visible well sprayed in ACF50.
Airbags themselves as seen on some really good videos online (i've done a post linking one or two if i recall), mainly in the US and not necessarily on Prados because other large Toyota/Lexus models are fitted with the same system, are really quite easy to change, easier than a spring.
If i get an airbag failure then i'll just slip two new ones in, probaly genuines as they've lasted so long, if it's more involved and likely to cost £hundreds then i'd be tempted to fit a conventional spring conversion kit, but won't do it out of choice because the handling and comfort of airbag sprung Prados and others is so good i would want to keep it like that for as long as possible.
Also sometimes lowering the back end makes it just that bit easier for one of our dogs, 8 year old female cocker, to jump in the back...note if you placed a lamp chop at the top of a 6 ft brick wall i can assure you she'd manage to get it somehow but we're all soft about our dogs.

I have no idea how much a new airpump or sensors would cost nor if there are viable aftermarket alternatives.

Air bag systems have been around for years on lorry's....
Bags are very reliable and the axle mounts will probably rust before the bags fail .
Rust of brackets and mounting parts will be the first issue you will probably have....

Back