Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Airbag light is on.

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello guys.
Since we had the 40 degree weather my airbag light has come on.
I have unplugged both connections under both seats but still on.
When I start the car it is on with ignition and goes off for about 1 minute and comes back on.
Any ideas why it's doing this and how do I turn it off or reset.

My airbag light was on my 120 LC5, It turned out to be broken wire under the Drivers seat for the seat position sensor, I did post a thread regarding the repair..... Its common apparently... when i google searched the problem, Easy fix But a seat out job im afraid..... Have you done a diagnostic and what code if so... Code B1153 is a seat position sensor fault

Last edited:
I done a obd reading the other day and got no reading codes.
My reader is just a normal one so will not reset anyway..
My next step was to disconnect the battery for a hr or so and try that.
I have unplugged the seat connection again and up to now has stayed off
Will let you no how I get on when I go to work tomorrow morning.
Thanks for all your response messages.

I went to work this morning and no airbag light on.
Unfortunately about 5 minutes after driving it came back on.
The delay is only since I disconnected the plugs under both seats.
I have disconnected the both battery's for a bit see if resets itself.
Fingers crossed as will be plan c otherwise:techie-hal:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not sure if they are the same but on 100 series disconnect batteries and cable tie the +and - terminals together for 10/15 mins. This discharges any fault code or dash lights. Worked on my 100 series for engine light. Been off several weeks now.

The problem with the airbag issue I had was that the broken wires would sometimes make a connection and the light would stay off for a day or two and then would come on again. This i lived with until MOT time and as its a fail had to find the fix. The light will come on when you turn on the ignition and go off after a couple seconds, even if you do not start the vehicle. Good to remember that if the light is on and you have an accident airbags will not deploy.Use a multimeter between the plug and the position sensor to prove the wiring, if it shows good give the wires a move around.

I had my codes wiped by an all singing dancing Diagnostics kit but the airbag light always came back almost Instantly, Clearing airbag faults is impossible, Because of the safety issues involved they are designed to make you fix the problem, If you do manage to get the light out Briefly, Slide the seat back and forth, If it pops back on it might point to your Problem.... Or rotate steering wheel.... That could indicate other faults.... Anything to do with seat position, seat belts, steering etc etc is linked to air bag..... Someone with a decent diagnostics kit should get a code up... That will pin point the Fault

I went to work today and no light all the way there.
Got in my car after work and light straight on.
I got my obd reader out and with the light on still no codes.
Come to the conclusion my reader is bollocks as think I should have a code at least is this correct.

Thanks Karl my brother in law has the laptop version as he is a machanic but just wanted to fix myself.
It might be an insentiv to buy a better version but being Toyota but will probably never use it.

Offer is always there if you need it mate I'm in Liverpool so likely fairly local. It's always good for us to fix our own whenever possible!

If I get stuck will call on your services now I no were you are and yes very local to me.

Done a little experiment when I finished work..
I started my car with no airbag light on and never got in the car.
Light stayed out so I gave it a minute and got into the car and instant light came on.
I got out and done the same 3 times and all same result.
I then done something different and started the car waited a few minutes again and never got in just pressed on the centre of the seat and bingo on came the light again.
Is this a faulty connection or a faulty sensor.

Clever idea, that at least gives you a much narrowed down area to look for the fault, it has to be in the drivers seat. If I was looking I would haul out the seat and then you have access to all the devices underneath. Simply check every wire with a multimeter, from plug to device. There is an airbag, a seat position indicator (most common fault, as the seat is moved back and forth it pulls the wires and causes breaks) and a seat belt switch. There may be a seat occupied switch in the drivers seat, there is definitely one in the passenger seat. Everything must be plugged in or the system will fault. You are definitely getting closer.

The seat position sensor on mine wasn't actually broken, The outer cable plastic was chaffed exposing the inner cable and the up and down movement was enough to ping on the air bag warning light... Its a 5 min job to take the seat out.. 14mm socket / bolt in each corner .. Take the rear two out first, Because of the weight of the seat it automatically wants to tip Back, The sat Nav gubbins will stay on the Floor... Seat position sensor plug is on the rail nearest the Handbrake..... Black plug with 2 wirers (Grey and White).... You dont take the seat out, Just Tip it back against the rear seats..... Code B1153... Help - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]....

Back