Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alarm / Imobiliser problem]

Peter
Sorry, I've been away a few days and have only just caught up with this thread.
Sounds exactly like my alarm (1996 truck, UK fitted "Toyota" alarm). Mine went haywire and I discovered that the problem was two inches of water in the horn unit in the engine compartment! Apparently this is not uncommon, and in fact that unit also contains some electronics + internal batteries, so it's not surprising that it went a bit mental.
Assuming that yours is the same as mine, ie horn unit fitted on the left hand side of the bulkhead near the windscreen wiper motor, you need to do the following to check. Shouldn't take more than ten minutes:
(1) Turn off the alarm and disconnect both main batteries.
(2) Don ear defenders - if that thing goes off when you are right next to it the noise is awful! (Remember it has internal batteries.)
(3) Unbolt it. This is easy enough if a bit fiddly: it has bolts either side which just need to be loosened.
(4) Unscrew the top - I think this was two Philips screws, but I don't remember. Anyway it was easy enough.
(5) Gently prize the "horn" end from the top end. There are wires between them, so don't yank too violently!
(6) Check innards for water / dampness.
If you find water that is almost certainly (and condensation then possibly) the problem. Assuming that you do: drain and mop up as well as you can, then poke a hair-dryer at it to dry it out. Give it half an hour or so of warmth (not severe heat).
Then you can try the system. Reconnect both main batteries (it may go off when you do this if it was confused), close all the doors and engine compartment (or hold the bonnet switch down), and cycle the alarm through on / off a few times. Then see if you can start the engine normally - hopefully you will be able to.
To reassemble screw the unit back together, then clean off the outside as well as you can so that it is dry, and wrap tape round the join. I used silage tape (v. wide & sticky insulating tape), but I suppose the best would be that tape which moulds to itself under pressure. Also check the top connection where the wires come in and seal / wrap as well as you can. Then bolt back in.
I hope this helps - it certainly cured my problems. I didn't touch the ECU at all. Otherwise I understand that a new alarm is around ?250 fitted ....
Christopher Bell
Devon, UK
1996 1HD-FT
First, the remote's are rectangular, black with two buttons at the top and an LED in the top left corner. The top left button arms / disarms the system and the right hand button is the panic alarm
The ECU looks similar (ish) to the diagram in the TVSS manual but it has no program switch that I can see. The ECU is mounted in the drivers footwell (UK side) on the outer wall
I have tried disconnecting the battery, shutting all doors (including the bonnet switch) and reconnecting (both straight away and after leaving for several hours) hoping this would effect a reset. But no luck

Peter
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Could you just clarify one item?
>
> ... you stated...
>
"Then you can try the system. Reconnect both main batteries (it may go off when you do this if it was confused), close all the doors and engine compartment (or hold the bonnet switch down), and cycle the alarm through on / off a few times. Then see if you can start the engine normally - hopefully you will be able to
>
> What do you mean by 'cycle the alarm through on/off' ?
>
I'm assuming that moisture was the problem, and that the alarm's internal logic was messed up. Reconnecting power will almost certainly still make it go off as it will assume that it is armed and that someone is tampering with it, and you need to persuade it that things are actually OK again now.
So by "cycling through on/off" I mean just click it on / off a couple of times using the remote's black button - to which it will hopefully now respond with the normal door-lock clonks and indicator flashes. Remember to close the bonnet or hold the switch down when you are doing this!
There is no set number of on/off cycles required (that I am aware of), you are just trying to re-establish normal operation.
When I reconnect the battery (only one - it's a petrol vehicle) the alarm triggers immediately and the remotes are completely innefective. I can't see any way of shutting the alarm off other than by disconnecting the battery
>
Mine has a key on the alarm sounder itself, although this is not a lot of use to me since the previous owner lost the key. So I don't know exactly what effect turning the alarm off has (just silence alarm? disconnect uimmobiliser? inactivate remote door (un)lock?).
>From what you say it sounds as if you don't have a key, which may mean that your alarm is different to mine. But if you do then this has to be the best resort to silence the damned thing pro tem if all else fails.
Did you dismantle it & find water? Or is that happy adventure yet to come?
Sorry, I don't have any other ideas and I'm not an alarm expert. I'm just recounting what happened to me and what I did to fix it.
Christopher Bell
Devon, UK
1996 1HD-FT

Peter
Sorry - no good then. I'm afraid I can't help any further.
Christopher Bell
>
>
> Hi again Chris
>
> I dismantled the 'horn' unit - this was dry as a bone.
>
There is a 'keyhole' in the sounder unit and I do have the key but all this does is to turn the horn on/off - it does nothing to affect the operation of the alarm / immobiliser
>
As I said before, the remote is completely innefective; I have tried all sorts - reconnecting the battery while holding the remote butons down, with the ign key on 'acc', 'ign', etc and nothing work
>
> I have a feling I just need to program the remote to the ECU but I can't for the life of me see how to do this.
>
> Does anyone know where the actual ECU is located?
>

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Peter, recently I bought new batteries for my remotes (Toyota O/E
alarm). The parts chap is very helpful and even fitted the new batteries
for me. Whilst doing this he explained the procedure. Part of which was
- and this may be relevant - with the battery removed from the remote ,
hold both buttons down at the same time for at least 10 seconds, release
buttons and fit new battery. He claims it "resets" the remote. It might
help you - worth a try. Good luck .
Gareth Jones. '97 1-HDFT S.Wales.

My alarm - Toyota factory fitted here in US (96 petrol model) is situated
under the drivers seat and velcro'ed to the carpet :)
Not sure that is of any help. Have manual and got extra key-fobs and been
thru re-programming sessions.
Mine is a VIP Rs3000
Lal
-----Original Message-----
From: [Email address removed] [mailto:[Email address removed]]On
Behalf Of Peter
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 9:57 AM
To: [Email address removed]
Subject: Re: [ELCO] Alarm / Imobiliser problem]
OK, it's gone dark now.
Also my fingers have frozen off and what's left of my hands have been
scratched to pieces!!
Can anyone PLEASE tell me where the alarm ECU is located, and how can I
recognise it. I have had the glovebox and centre console off and have also
clambered under the drivers side dash panel. There are several ECU's dotted
around all looking much the same. I've had a feel round them but cannot find
any switches, push buttons, etc on any of them. I can't trace the wiring
because everything disappears into looms.
If I could work out which ECU I'm supposed to be looking at I might stand
a fighting chance.... so , please anyone???? :)
Pete
1995 HZJ80 Auto
Worcester
England
-- European Land Cruiser Owners Mailing List Further Info:
http://www.landcruisers.info/lists/

-----
>Can anyone PLEASE tell me where the alarm ECU is located, and how can I recognise it. I have had the glovebox and centre console off and have also clambered under the drivers side dash panel. There are several ECU's dotted around all looking much the same. I've had a feel round them but cannot find any switches, push buttons, etc on any of them. I can't trace the wiring because everything disappears into looms.
>If I could work out which ECU I'm supposed to be looking at I might stand a fighting chance.... so , please anyone???? :)
Hi Peter, I sympathise with your frustration!
It's not going to be much help as it sounds like you have looked under the central storage box(es) just under your left elbow? That's where mine sits.
Good luck!
Dermot Allen
'97 1HD-FT
Intercooler
Norfolk

I know I'm coming in half way through this, but you could try ringing your local car radio/alarm place. They should be able to tell your where the ECU is and maybe help with fixing the fault. Or talk to your local Toyota dealer, ask for the service reception and if you're feeling confident enough pretend you're a garage and say you have this vehicle in your work shop and you need a little help finding the problem, if you do this the service bloke should give you the help over the phone. Or he might simply say 'Book it in and we'll have a look at it' =A3=A3's!!
Or, better still, go to http://www.carmechanicsmag.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi This is a mechanics forum, I have found loads of useful info here. The people answering the questions are mostly mechanics or very enthusiastic DIY mechanics, so someone there may be able to point you in the right direction.
I hope this helps.
Very best regards,
Matt Savage
In Derbyshire, it might snow today... yippee
----- Original Message -----
To: [Email address removed]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 11:10 PM
Subject: Re: [ELCO] Alarm / Imobiliser problem]
Hmm... I have looked everywhere EXCEPT under the storage bins! I took the console cover off from around the gearshift but not the bins.
Yours is the standard Toyota TVSS?
Thanks Dermot.
Pete
dermot.allen wrote:
-----
>Can anyone PLEASE tell me where the alarm ECU is located, and how can I recognise it. I have had the glovebox and centre console off and have also clambered under the drivers side dash panel. There are several ECU's dotted around all looking much the same. I've had a feel round them but cannot find any switches, push buttons, etc on any of them. I can't trace the wiring because everything disappears into looms.
>If I could work out which ECU I'm supposed to be looking at I might stand a fighting chance.... so , please anyone???? :)
It's not going to be much help as it sounds like you have looked under the central storage box(es) just under your left elbow? That's where mine sits.
Good luck!
Dermot Allen
'97 1HD-FT
Intercooler
Norfolk
-- European Land Cruiser Owners Mailing List Further Info: http://www.landcruisers.info/lists/

Hi Pete, yes standard '97 1HD-FT.
But I guess by now you have removed it?
Good luck
Dermot
Hmm... I have looked everywhere EXCEPT under the storage bins! I took the console cover off from around the gearshift but not the bins.
Yours is the standard Toyota TVSS?
Thanks Dermot.
Pete
dermot.allen wrote:
-----
Good luck!
Dermot Allen
'97 1HD-FT
Intercooler
Norfolk
-- European Land Cruiser Owners Mailing List Further Info: http://www.landcruisers.info/lists/

Hi Peter
I was just wondering what is the ECU, is it for a factory installed alarm or does every one have one in their cruiser regardless
Thanks
John C
92HDJ 80 1HD-T Auto Ireland

Back