Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alarm; Toyota 5000/Scorpion. A warning.

frank rabbets

Guru
This system was fitted from circa 1994-1996 80LC when the cars entered this country. Although Toyota, it was designed by Scorpion Alarms who made the systems and manuals and sold the whole to Toyota whose mechanics then fitted them. Scorpion even printed the stapled in bit in the owners handbook describing it.

The system can be identified by the keyfob. This is rectangular and has a cloth strap and has a red and black square button. It says "toyota" on it but I have also seen "vw" ones and also "scorpion" ones as you could buy the system off the shelf.

In the siren there is a back up rechargeable battery which takes over when you disconnect the main batteries. It could be that if dead the alarm may not work again if the main batteries are disconnected.

I have just checked mine and it is leaking due to 17 yeas old. I've removed it and the alarm still fully works so will be ordering a new one tomorrow. Cellpack Solutions will know this battery so for those who wish to order the battery number is 5 VRE AA 600 made by Saft. It comprises 5 cells connected in series and laid out as a packet of 5 cigarettes would be. Hope this helps someone.

Frank

When i got my colorado the alarm didnt work. I found the batterys in the siren had leaked and trashed the electronics.
I got a replacement off ebay from a corollla i think

Yes 2 wires were corroded on mine and broke off but there is no permanent damage. I think I caught it just in time. Just as well as it's the best alarm I've ever had.

Frank

Also be aware that Scorpion don't exist any more, although there was a former employee that continued to repair them, but that was some 8 years ago now.

Also, if the car batteries go flat, or are disconnected, it often results in a broken alarm and you can't start the car. Toyota had so many problems with these that they actually kept them on the shelf. I stripped mine out some years ago as it had already had 2 of them, and I just knew it would leave me stranded one day.

Back