Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alternator not charging...

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
After starting the truck today and driving about half a block I noticed the charge light was on.
I drove back to inlaws house and after checking the fuse, crawled under to check the plugs on the alternator. As I touched it, it burnt me. :o I was also treated to a rather acrid smell (anyone ever smelt a burnt transformer?) when I had my head in there. :o

After letting it cool for around half an hour, I started the truck again and parked it. Total running, 30 seconds. The alternator was hot again. Roasting.
I also checked the voltage on the batteries while running and they were 11.8 so it is not charging.

Ultimate was...
IMAG0177.jpg

I've taken the alternator out (with much thanks to Tony!) and will take it in to toyota tomorrow.
Some of the windings in the front of the alternator are black.
My version is 100A which has a seperate regulator (still looking for it :? ).

Could the regulator have gone (shorted) causing the alternator to cook?
Do the black windings mean I am probably looking at a new alternator anyway?
What would the first thing to change be?

I'm going to Mr T tomorrow and see if they do an exchange on them, will take it from there.

Re: Alternator not charginh...

look in your local yell.com and find a reconditioner, I had mine done for £50 and its as good a s new

Re: Alternator not charginh...

J66P said:
look in your local yell.com and find a reconditioner, I had mine done for £50 and its as good a s new

Sorry, evil people.

last time I tried a reccomended one, it cost me £180 for a recon one and then another £300 for a new one two days later when the recon one f'ed up (failed bearing) leaving my wife and daughter by the side of the road.

I have had Toyotas for many many years. Going way back to the days when they looked like Datsuns. Incredibly reliable machines. But you know one part that I have seen let go more than anything else, it's been alternators. Odd isn't it. Even had to rebuild the one on Mrs Chris' Corolla after only 60k. Family have Toyotas too and RAV 4's have suffered the same fate - even Lil Blue had this problem. Certainly an area for planned preventative maintenance or certainly spare parts to keep in stock.

Chris

Chris said:
Certainly an area for planned preventative maintenance or certainly spare parts to keep in stock.

Hey Chris, just curious what regular maintenance can you do to a alternator apart from cleaning the mud out and changing the brushes?

I fear Crispins alternator has had a failure or brakdown somewhere as we took the brushes out and it all looked ok..... It must be a major short to ground via the housing to cause it to heat up so much!

tis ironic that Chris. I ahve to say I did mine in when I did the Essex fords, but they were deep, over the bonnet on mine and thats saying summat

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think, Tony, just that really. Occasional checks on the brush holders, the multiplug and of course the belt tension. But having a spare top end (diode pack and brushes) to hand would save some time if it went on the fritz. I actually still have a whole 90 series alternator sitting in the garage. Forgot about that.
The brushes don't seem to like mud and water and they jam in the holders preventing them from contacting the rotor. Maybe some white grease in there would keep the water out better than running them dry.

Chris

I got a Toyota factory recon, from the dealer.
I cant remember the exact price, but it was about £130, with a £30 deposit, until you gave them your old one.
Did you need to take the AC pump away, so to get the alternator out.
My one went awol with 210,000 miles, so I can't complain.

G.

Ordered one from Toyota for around 270. New is....515. Will have it on Thursday.

sent from TapaTalk

:shock: You sure they don't want that spare kidney too?

Crispin said:
Ordered one from Toyota for around 270. New is....515. Will have it on Thursday.

sent from TapaTalk
Thats crazy,

Are you sure?

I am really sure mine was around £130 - £150 tops.

Just for question sake, I will phone my local Toyota and ask them.

£270 sounds a lot .

G.

Would appreciate the call.

Yup, £270 or £515 new. Erk.

Crispin

Try John Devlin Lindop Toyo, Queensferry. He's always done me a deal on stuff. Goes by Partsking or something on here....

Fitted the alternator today with the Toyota Opt-fit refurb item. A bit of a faf getting it lined up as it's a tight fit with the only way to move it is via a long crowbar. Move. Check. move. Check. Swear. Move.
Eventually fitted, put the bet back on, started it and confirmed charging.

Something I could have done without spending on but there you go...

Right, onto next chore...Brakes.

after 17 years the alternator failed - not charging , getting it replaced this week.. $850.00 new... also had the raditor develop a leak at the seal on the top tank another $990..
cannot complain as the cruiser has done me well since new.. now some 210k. just the cost of parts is a killer....

I have had Toyotas for many many years. Going way back to the days when they looked like Datsuns. Incredibly reliable machines. But you know one part that I have seen let go more than anything else, it's been alternators. Odd isn't it. Even had to rebuild the one on Mrs Chris' Corolla after only 60k. Family have Toyotas too and RAV 4's have suffered the same fate - even Lil Blue had this problem. Certainly an area for planned preventative maintenance or certainly spare parts to keep in stock.

Chris
I had a LEXUS LS400 years back and the only part I ever changed other than service parts was the Alternator .

after 17 years the alternator failed - not charging , getting it replaced this week.. $850.00 new... also had the raditor develop a leak at the seal on the top tank another $990..
cannot complain as the cruiser has done me well since new.. now some 210k. just the cost of parts is a killer....
Have you looked on Amayama.com Garry? Genuine parts from Japan at reasonable money. Just add import duty and tax to their quoted price with Delivery.

Had to replace my alternator 2 years ago, the original one failed at 400k kms,

disgraceful...

Back