Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Am I a British citizen or an EEA citizen?

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hello all,

On another forum, we have a great discussion going on about Britain and the EEA

Let me set the scene.

In your UK passport, on the details page at the back, you are named as 'BRITISH CITIZEN'
As the UK is part and party to the EEA, are we also, EEA CITIZENS?

It appears that we are British citizens while we live in UK, and if we move to live in Europe, then we are then EEA citizens.
As UK is part of the EEA, we have free right to live and work in any member country of the EEA.

I am just looking for other peoples view on the correctness or wrongness of the fact we are British Citizens while we live in England, and EEA citizens while we live in France for example.

It is worth noting that EEA citizens enjoy far more priviliges than British citizens.

Graham

Graham said:
It is worth noting that EEA citizens enjoy far more priviliges than British citizens.
Like what?

Well I know which I would preferr if I was stuck in Libya and needed rescuing! :pray: (Yes I know you said if we were living and working in the EEC) ;)

I would (rightly or wrongly) consider myself a "British Citizen" wherever I lived, unless of course I migrated to say, Australia and took Australian citizenship.

I'd be interested in knowing the "extra" benefits of being an EEA citizen? :?

OK,
Here it is,

It appears, that when I live in UK, I am a British Citizen.
When I live in France, or any EEA member state ( to which UK is ) I am an EEA citizen.

I plan to bring Fay to UK, after we marry in China.
If I bring her as "me being a UK citizen", then she needs to do English tests, in China at £200.
Then a £850 visa, takes 3 months minimum, then another test in UK within 24 months at £180.

If I bring her as "me being a EEA citizen"
Example, If I live in France, Belguim, Holland, she can simply apply for a 'Free visa' to join me in which EEA member state I am in.,
European Law, = The free, no cost visa must be given to her within 4 weeks.
The visa lasts 5 years, after 5 years, she simply applies for PR.
Once in any member EEA country, I can excercise Directive 2004/38/EC, an freely move to UK. No Tests, no £850 visa.
Directive 2004/38/EC = EEA member and Non EEA spouse, =Free to live, work, and roam in Europe Europe = no restraints.
And all this is on the UKBA website.
Take your pick, the £1000 way that takes 3 months, or the £0.00 way that takes 1 month.
The catch, if you call it a catch, is = I (we) must stay in the EEA , can move from country to country, but registered in just one, for 4 months, before I can excercise Directive 2004/38/EC, an freely move to UK.

4 months in France or Spain for the summer, I think I could just about cope with that :thumbup:

Graham

I am currently able to stay in this country because my wife is an EEA citizen...

I couldn't believe it when I saw the differences in procedure had my wife been British.. :?

It was interesting that the EU Law stated the non-EU spouse cannot be charged for their visa and they must get it within 4 weeks. :) Of course, when I applied, 4 weeks was a pipe dream they were taking 4-6 months to process applications :doh:

Governments....got to love them :angry-banghead:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ignat said:
I couldn't believe it when I saw the differences in procedure had my wife been British.. :?
Hi Kev,

I think the directive 2004/38/EC sure has the UK government well pissed off.

I was following the route of "Being a UK citizen" until I was informed that I am ALSO a EEA citizen - when I live in any EEA member country, take your pick :dance:

It's nothing illegal, it's just that European Law, is trumping UK law, and nothing UK can do about it.

Essentially, they ( UK ) can not pick and choose what European laws they want, and what they don;'t want.

Remember that Hobby caravans were not legal to be towed in UK, ( too wide I think ) unless by some commercial vehicle, well also due to European law, this has ammended the UK law, so Hobby caravan is all legal to tow now in UK.

There are lots of instances of EEA law, upsetting UK law.

Graham

Graham said:
I was following the route of "Being a UK citizen" until I was informed that I am ALSO a EEA citizen - when I live in any EEA member country, take your pick :dance:

I normally use a law firm in Mayfair - very well known South African immigration solicitors - and they 'conveniently' forgot to mention that I qualified under the EEA scheme which, surprise surprise, is totally free.... and so I almost paid them ££££ for an Indefinite Leave to Remain which was totally unnecessary :evil: :naughty:

Anyway hopefully you can use the EU's interference to your advantage. It was overall a very painless exercise going the EEA route....and best of all - free. :clap:

ignat said:
Graham said:

I normally use a law firm in Mayfair - very well known South African immigration solicitors - and they 'conveniently' forgot to mention that I qualified under the EEA scheme which, surprise surprise, is totally free.... and so I almost paid them ££££ for an Indefinite Leave to Remain which was totally unnecessary :evil: :naughty:

Anyway hopefully you can use the EU's interference to your advantage. It was overall a very painless exercise going the EEA route....and best of all - free. :clap:

There are Aussie "immigration firms" doing exactly the same :evil: . Annoying. If you think they are expensive you should see how much HMG charges to get British citizenship [Australia allows dual now]

Back