Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Amsoil ----"Because my engine's worth it ? "

G

I had a long talk with the UK importers of AMSOIL products this morning, they sent me a catologue and price list which prompted the call. I'm sure many people have heard of Amsoil and the favourable comments regarding them on the lcool sites. Some people may even have read the posts on 1- HDT bearing failure on WJ's homepage and the post from Craig Vincent regarding oil composition for Japanese engines - if you haven't - use the links attached at end of this post. So - has anyone used any of their products - do any listers use oil by pass filtration systems or indulge in oil analysis ? The unit cost of Amsoil 15 - 40 is =A336.50 for 5 litres , I'm told that service intervals can be greatly extended particularly with a by pass filter. Your thoughts including running synthetics in axles and gearboxes please - is it worth it ?
I apologise to any users of l'Oreal haircare products for the subject title - I momentarily contemplated Just for Men - for my grey hair - and then thought -- don't be such a tart.
Role on the 5th!!
http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/80bigend.htm
http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/80bigend_oil-analysis-scam.htm
Regards Gareth Jones 1-HDFT S. Wales - where we know a good way of "heating" holiday homes !!!!!!!!! - only joking Roman - I look forward to meeting you.

Gareth Jones wrote:
A role on the 5th Nov sounds a mite dicey to me, especially with inflammable hair!
Christopher Bell
ps: Sorry, no views on synthetics etc.
I put Castrol GTD 10w-40 in my engine roughly every 5k miles, or sooner if the oil looks gunky and/or the pressure drops. About ?28 / 10 litres. The one (only!) time the Toyota agent did it they charged ?15 for oil, so God knows what they used.
I had all transmission fluids renewed about 20k miles ago, and asked them to put in synthetics, but never actually found out what they used. So far no leaks, but the gearbox is a bit noisy in 2nd & 4th when it gets v hot during towing.

in my experience, toyota charge a lot for a lot of things - including oil changes/oil/filters etcetera etcetera

Okay synthetics cost more but they're worth it! well, my engine is worth it!! thriving on it, as it does, in the hot sahara sand...

Renate
>>> [Email address removed] 11/03/04 01:33pm >>>
Gareth Jones wrote:
> Role on the 5th!!
A role on the 5th Nov sounds a mite dicey to me, especially with inflammable hair!
Christopher Bell
I put Castrol GTD 10w-40 in my engine roughly every 5k miles, or sooner if the oil looks gunky and/or the pressure drops. About =A328 / 10 litres. The one (only!) time the Toyota agent did it they charged =A315 for oil, so God knows what they used.
I had all transmission fluids renewed about 20k miles ago, and asked them to put in synthetics, but never actually found out what they used. So far no leaks, but the gearbox is a bit noisy in 2nd & 4th when it gets v hot during towing.

----- Original Message -----
To: [Email address removed]
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: [ELCO] Amsoil ----"Because my engine's worth it ? "
Hi all! I use 'Carlube' 5W/40 fully synthetic which costs =A363 from my local motorfactor.
I also use a 'Bear trap' magnetic mat wrapped around oil & fuel filter, it traps any fine ferrous particals.
Trucks' done 90K and I had a 'Difflock' oil analisis done recently when the oil was 2500 miles old, well worth the =A320 cost.
Analysis showed that the engine was in 'excellent' condition, which is nice to know.
Julian love to join you on the 5th but I'm working!! Any chance of calling you re your OME setup?
Cheers Dermot
Okay synthetics cost more but they're worth it! well, my engine is worth it!! thriving on it, as it does, in the hot sahara sand...
Gareth Jones wrote:
> Role on the 5th!!
Christopher Bell
I put Castrol GTD 10w-40 in my engine roughly every 5k miles, or sooner if the oil looks gunky and/or the pressure drops. About =A328 / 10 litres. The one (only!) time the Toyota agent did it they charged =A315 for oil, so God knows what they used.
--
European Land Cruiser Owners Mailing List
Further Info: http://www.landcruisers.info/lists/

Hi all! I use 'Carlube' 5W/40 fully synthetic which costs =A363 from my local motorfactor.
I also use a 'Bear trap' magnetic mat wrapped around oil & fuel filter, it traps any fine ferrous particles.
Trucks' done 90K and I had a 'Difflock' oil analysis done recently when the oil was 2500 miles old, well worth the =A320 cost.
Analysis showed that the engine was in 'excellent' condition, which is nice to know.
Julian love to join you on the 5th but I'm working!! Any chance of calling you re your OME setup?
Cheers Derm
Gareth Jones wrote:
> Role on the 5th!!
Christopher Bell
--
European Land Cruiser Owners Mailing List
Further Info: http://www.landcruisers.info/lists/

Dermot
137,000 miles on the clock on mine - bodywork a little worst for wear but engine, quote my local QAS garage "you're vehicle is in excellent condition - its only a baby, having done 137,000 miles! - I took this as a fine compliment!
Re diffs,
the Rear-Front diff has been iffy from the start - any suggestions? central diff absolutely fine, apparently the RR-FR box has been replaced on a least two occasions, before I got this toyo back in 2000 (1991 Regis). I tried to use it once in the Grand Erg Oriental in Algeria - absolutely nothing happened.
Renate
>>> [Email address removed] 11/03/04 02:05pm >>>

Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 1:45 PM

I also use a 'Bear trap' magnetic mat wrapped around oil & fuel filter, it traps any fine ferrous particals.

Trucks' done 90K and I had a 'Difflock' oil analisis done recently when the oil was 2500 miles old, well worth the =A320 cost.

Cheers Dermot

Gareth Jones wrote:
> Role on the 5th!!
Christopher Bell

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Dermot.allen,
Out of interest, where do you find places to do oil analysis?
Shame, can't you get out of it? (Can't remember what you do).
Yes, no probs. Best bet is my mobile - if I am busy, leave your number
and I will call you back.
--
Regards,
Julian Voelcker
Mobile: 07971 540362
Cirencester, United Kingdom
1994 HDJ80, 2.5" OME Lift, ARB

The Amsoil catalogue includes oil analysis kits @ =A312 each. I'm sorry but I don't know what they consist of. BTW - the agents are - Performance Oils - based in Lynton Devon - 01598 - 752782 - Fax -752396. I told the owner, Chas ? Stafford, that a few of us had Landcruiser diesels so we might look for bulk purchases / discount and he seemed OK with that. If anyone else rings make sure you tell him you own a Landcruiser.
Gareth - not intending to roll or role on the 5th.

Is anyone else thinking of switching to Amsoil ? If yes I will try for a
bulk purchase to get discount and Iam willing to bring a delivery to the
Salisbury plain meet. Let me know ASAP.
Gareth Jones.

Hi Gareth,
I am keen for both the diesels I run although am hoping to service them
before the 5th.
Still interested to know what a 50litre drum would be.
--
Regards,
Julian Voelcker

Hi Gareth,
I'm interested, but I'd need to know prices first.
Jon.
-----Original Message-----
From: [Email address removed] [mailto:[Email address removed]]
On Behalf Of Gareth Jones
Sent: 04 November 2004 09:25
Is anyone else thinking of switching to Amsoil ? If yes I will try for a
bulk purchase to get discount and Iam willing to bring a delivery to the
Salisbury plain meet. Let me know ASAP.
Gareth Jones.

Jon & Julian, could I suggest that you get a copy of the price list
faxed to you from Performance Oils - Fax- 01598 - 752396 . The product
range is extensive so we need to know what we want - if you follow my
"logic". That way I can go back and say - we would like x,y z etc - and
exactly what discount are you offering ? I intend to chainge engine and
transmission oils inc axles plus over the Xmas hols I will clean out and
repack the Birfields.
Thanks, Gareth.

To: <[Email address removed]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 3:35 PM
Hi Julian, sorry for the delay in replying-just got home after eight days
away.
www.difflock.com
I'm trying! I fly 747's for Virgin Atlantic.
Cheers-I will give you a call in the next day or so!
Dermot Allen
1997 1HD-FT
Intercooler
etc.

Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 2:16 PM
>Re diffs,
>the Rear-Front diff has been iffy from the start - any suggestions? central diff absolutely fine, apparently the RR-FR box has been replaced on a least two occasions, before I got this toyo back in 2000
>(1991 Regis). I tried to use it once in the Grand Erg Oriental in Algeria - absolutely nothing happened.
Hi Renate,
my rear difflock (I assume this is what you mean?) refused to work when I first bought the truck. The housing was very corroded as was the axel in that area.
I removed it and gave everything a good clean and grease, don't be tempted to remove the springs from the cog drive, just clean the in white spirit. It now works perfectly.
Try www.slleoffroad.com for a guied to rebuild it.
Cheers Dermot
1997 1HD-FT

Hi Dermot.allen,
No worries.
OK, will shop around there.
Very glam :), what routes are you doing at the moment?
OK. Should be OK this afternoon, not tomorrow, then any time on Sunday.
--
Regards,
Julian Voelcker

Back