Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

An alarming question :)

mr_magicfingers

Only had my 120 for a couple of weeks but I can't figure out something with the alarm. If I unlock the truck and don't start it, it rearms the alarm after about 30 seconds. Today I unlocked it, opened the boot and was sorting some stuff in the back. After 30 seconds I hear the locks cycle and as soon as I moved, the motion sensor sensed me moving and set the alarm off.

Is there any way to stop it doing that because it's bloody annoying?

I have just got Techstream installed on my laptop (although it's not showing the engine ECU) but I'm not sure what option in there might change this behaviour and don't want to change anything unless I know what I'm supposed to change.

Only had my 120 for a couple of weeks but I can't figure out something with the alarm. If I unlock the truck and don't start it, it rearms the alarm after about 30 seconds. Today I unlocked it, opened the boot and was sorting some stuff in the back. After 30 seconds I hear the locks cycle and as soon as I moved, the motion sensor sensed me moving and set the alarm off.

Is there any way to stop it doing that because it's bloody annoying?

I have just got Techstream installed on my laptop (although it's not showing the engine ECU) but I'm not sure what option in there might change this behaviour and don't want to change anything unless I know what I'm supposed to change.
It re locks after 30 secs in case you unlock the vehicle by accident , if you open any of the 4 doors and close them before 30 secs it will stay unlocked if all is working properly , mine also does that if you open the back door , maybe because its a late 09 model maybe toyota included the back door in the stay unlocked mode at a later date .

Thanks Tony, that's interesting. What's difficult is that the door is already open. It seems strange to have to shut the door and open it again to make the alarm stay off. I unlock, open the door and the thing rearms with the door still open, which seems daft. Mine's an '05.

Thanks Tony, that's interesting. What's difficult is that the door is already open. It seems strange to have to shut the door and open it again to make the alarm stay off. I unlock, open the door and the thing rearms with the door still open, which seems daft. Mine's an '05.
That seems very strange for that to happen as it should not rearm while the door is open , you could try disconnecting the batteries while it is in unlock mode for 15 minuets and and see if it clears the fault , remember to normalise the electric windows and sunroof after reconnecting the batteries , also check the child locks are not stuck in halfway locked/unlocked position .

That seems very strange for that to happen as it should not rearm while the door is open , you could try disconnecting the batteries while it is in unlock mode for 15 minuets and and see if it clears the fault , remember to normalise the electric windows and sunroof after reconnecting the batteries , also check the child locks are not stuck in halfway locked/unlocked position .
Just had a thought you could try checking all the door switches that allow the interior lights are not stuck in the door closed position.

Funny you should mention that. Odd thing happened the other day, I was driving and the door open light would flash occasionally and, as it was night, I noticed the light above the rear door flashing on at the same time. Checked the door and it was solidly shut but the light switch was in 'door' rather than 'on or off' and would flicker when wiggling the switch.

I couldn't find an actual door sensor switch for the rear door and so switched the lamp to off and that issue went away. I'm wondering now if the rear door sensor is faulty and, if so, where it is on the rear door. I haven't tested to see if the same alarm issue happens with the other 4 doors as it's only happened when I was sorting things with the rear door open.

Sounds like either a door sensor or switch issue at the rear. Any idea where that rear door sensor is located as there isn't the typical plunger switch that I expected to find.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Funny you should mention that. Odd thing happened the other day, I was driving and the door open light would flash occasionally and, as it was night, I noticed the light above the rear door flashing on at the same time. Checked the door and it was solidly shut but the light switch was in 'door' rather than 'on or off' and would flicker when wiggling the switch.

I couldn't find an actual door sensor switch for the rear door and so switched the lamp to off and that issue went away. I'm wondering now if the rear door sensor is faulty and, if so, where it is on the rear door. I haven't tested to see if the same alarm issue happens with the other 4 doors as it's only happened when I was sorting things with the rear door open.

Sounds like either a door sensor or switch issue at the rear. Any idea where that rear door sensor is located as there isn't the typical plunger switch that I expected to find.
sorry for the late reply I went to bed at 11pm thats 9pm your time . the door light switch is on the pillar of the car about seat cushion height just behind the seat back support . they are rubber covered with a spring inside . they are held on by one screw . one thing to remember when undoing screws on a toyota and most other Jap cars is they use JIS (Japan Industry standed ) screws so if they are on tight or a bit rusty you will damage the screw-head trying to undo them with a normal pozi drive or Philips , use the screwdriver in the car toolkit thats in the backdoor coz that is a JIS screwdriver , I bought a set of 5 laser JIS screwdrivers for £25 on ebay expensive I know compared to £10 for the average normal set but they make the job a lot easier .

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for hijack folks, saw Crispins reply and have taken a chance.
Crispin, have tried to contact you twice since our initial conversation with no success. Once a return email and once through club contact. Cheers John
Once again apologies for hijacking mr-magicfingers.

Tony, thanks very much for the reply, I'll go and take a look. Interesting about the screws, I've not heard of JIS screws before. Sounds like a set of drivers might be a worthwhile investment in not chewing up the fitted screws.

Tony, thanks very much for the reply, I'll go and take a look. Interesting about the screws, I've not heard of JIS screws before. Sounds like a set of drivers might be a worthwhile investment in not chewing up the fitted screws.
I found out the hard way when renewing the brushes in a 1996 Lexus LS400 alternator 17 years ago , for now the screwdriver in the back door tool tray will do for most screws until you get a set of JIS drivers .

James May says jis screwdrivers are hard to source.
We know different don't we chaps.?
Agree with TONYCY11, they all look similar, but other versions of screwdrivers could have you heading for drills and taps and a whole load of wasted time!

Vassel are good , I like screwdrivers to have a hole in the top of the handle so I can put another long screwdriver through and turn it like a wrench whilst pushing down on the screw with the screwdriver with the other hand if the screw is really in tight or rusted in and seized when wrist action is not square enough in the turn and can damage the screw head .

Ordered some of the vessel screwdrivers this morning.

Meanwhile, took the door switch out and found it covered in rust and full of water. Cleaned it up and blasted it through with contact cleaner but still couldn't get it to show any continuity so will be ordering another one of those.
IMG_6593.jpeg

Ordered some of the vessel screwdrivers this morning.

Meanwhile, took the door switch out and found it covered in rust and full of water. Cleaned it up and blasted it through with contact cleaner but still couldn't get it to show any continuity so will be ordering another one of those.View attachment 164238
You have now found out what your alarm/locking problem is from . you might need to check all the door sensors .

Glad you found it ! Intermittent electrical probs can be a right b'tard to locate.
How did the water and crap get in, are the door sensor connectors and wiring not between two metal skins of the body ?

Back