Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Annual Report

Ben Stratford

Supporter
Country Flag
england
IMG_4884.JPG
So its now been a year since the HJ60 became my only vehicle and I thought a summary of key info may be worth recording.
Mileage done - 20,000
Issues:
Multiple flat batteries corrected by 2 alternator rebuilds. The first by an incompetent thieving shark and the second by a 45 yr veteran in the field.
Backlash and clonking during speed changes required transfer box rebuild so opted to do gearbox and clutch too. Then found crank rear oil seal also needed doing.
The MOT required track rod ends.
Tyres are BFG AT2 which look like new after 20k miles.
Due now - front brake and hub rebuilds while in there.
Off road prep, just a snorkel so far. Want to extend breathers and fit rock sliders and a recovery winch before its virgin trip in the goo.
Very pleased with how its rolling restoration is going and the feeling of being king of the road while cruising to and from the pasty factory

What are the road manners of the AT2 like? Noisy, twitchy, tramlining?

Quiet, very grippy on the road especially in the wet and no negatives at all. Loads of tread left. Sorry just noticed they are ko2 not at2.
image.jpg

Great looking truck that Ben a 60 is one of those things i will always want but never actually have i think , it's a full on bruiser but i would miss the nippy fun of my 90 .

Yes Shayne, nippy fun isnt in the handbook for the 60!!
Even my 40 was faster but you learn to live with it. When you drive past birds perched in the trees you can actually tell what sort they are it takes so long to go past !!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Would recommend a 60 for the old world feel, space and simplicity but a 61 is so much better Roy

looking good, also having lots of problems killing batteries.
If you replace the calipers with Hilux mark 4 or 5 items it vastly improves braking
Ran GGAT2s on my mark 6 hilux and rated them very highly

Collecting parts @moggy1968 at the moment. Have the hilux mk4/5 new calipers pads and discs plus the 54mm socket!! And new brake pipes.
Just ordered the swivel hub bearing and seal kits and wheel bearing and nut kits plus moly grease. The last things to find are two brake back plates with the air scoops. Have found some at €186 each - gulp!!
Not sure i need them until i dismantle everything though.
At least the diff is good.
Was going to get a good used front axle and rebuild everything on it and swap over. But it seems more work and expense some how.

I stuck with cruiser discs, do the Hilux discs bolt on or is there some modification needed?

They bolt on exactly the same configuration Moggy.
I have all the parts now do will swap the discs and calipers asap

looking good, also having lots of problems killing batteries.
Killed one today moggy, so obviously the car wouldnt start.
It hasnt been right since it came back from the transfer box rebuild 2 weeks ago, seemingly the voltmeter registering slightly lower each day. I noticed during the week that the horn didnt work and found that a fuse had gone. A new fuse got it going.
Coming hime friday i noticed the horn not working again and the fuse had gone again.
Looking at it today i found that one of the horn wires had cut nearly through on a sharp bit of bodywork near the lights. Sorted that and fitted another fuse and its working again.
Tried charging both batteries, the off side one was fine but the near side one wouldnt charge at all. So got and fitted a new one. Car started but sounded wierd. Left it running and looked under the bonnet to find that the starter motor was very loose, literally jumping up and down and about to fall off.
So tightened it up and it all seems fine now. (Hope this didnt damage anything)
Not sure why it came loose unless the gearbox work needed it to be removed.
Not sure if either issue contributed the the premature death of a 3 month old battery.

I need to find out how to test if something is drawing current when its all switched off i think?

No, all the diesel 60s are 24v because of the commercial origins of a lot of the mechanicals
Thought so so should be charging at 28.8v. Sounds like the volt sense wire is disconnected. We spoke at the AO show. You are only down the road from me. I'd be happy to help if you can bring it to me sometime.

Last edited:
Thought so so should be charging at 28.8v. Sounds like the bolt sense wire is disconnected. We spoke at the AO show. You are only down the road from me. I'd be happy to help if you can bring it to me sometime.
That would be cool, thanks for the offer, parked up with a knackered clutch slave cylinder at the moment, but once it's rolling again I'll take you up on that

Back