Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another hello for the land of Kilts and Haggis

Jake the Peg

Country Flag
scotland
Hello All,

Made an agreement to take on a 97 80 with some running problems, probably front axle rebuild and a good refurbishment of the interior after its spent a few hard years on a farm. I work on a ship in the north sea and have just come for my month of hell here before getting back to do a proper investigation round the truck and see what all needs done.
Served my time in a Toyota dealership, although I haven't been a full time spanner wrangler for the last 25yrs . This is my first Toyota and I'm looking forward to swearing at it as I do the rebuild!!
Plan is to make an overland truck with roof tent, small fridge and cooker to take the 2 small ones for adventures.
I'm sure my time as an inmate here will be littered with questions, and I'll offer a thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge

Cheers

John

Welcome john.
good luck with the overhaul on the truck. im sure it wont want too much doing.
photos are always good on here.

Welcome John, Scotland you say?,save swearing and invest in a hot spanner and save a lot of pain.

Hi,
I'll post up some pictures when I get home and take some! Some of you may know it from previous, its painted in Ford Focus RS Blue and has a crazy front bumper!

Hot spanner would of course save some nasty words, but where would the fun be in that!

TBH I haven't looked at it at all, other than listen to it and try to guess where the tap tap tap from the engine is coming from, but got the chance of it for the right deal so said yes.

cheers

Hi,
I'll post up some pictures when I get home and take some! Some of you may know it from previous, its painted in Ford Focus RS Blue and has a crazy front bumper!

Hot spanner would of course save some nasty words, but where would the fun be in that!

TBH I haven't looked at it at all, other than listen to it and try to guess where the tap tap tap from the engine is coming from, but got the chance of it for the right deal so said yes.

cheers

If mines anything to go by, the tap-tap comes as standard, I think :lol:

First stop in my my book would be to change the big-end bearing shells (BEBs) we’ve seen some near disasters on this forum, judging by the state that some of the old shells are in.

Not changing them is asking for a terminal tap-tap-bang, then it’s all over, bar the swearing.

Welcome aboard John, BTW and your focus blue 80... photos are mandatory as you may have guessed by now... :lol:

Hi Clive, yes I'll get some pictures up but likely not for a month till I reach Blighty again!

I'm planning to do BEB's and the head gasket, clean up the head, timing belt etc I'm not in any rush to get it all together and the wheels rolling again and will likely strip out all the interior for a deep clean and replacement of all thats broken there.
Will rebuild the front axle, as it resembles EXXON Valdez, new CV's, Stubs and bearings all round. Wondering if I should look also at doing the halfshafts rather than just replacing the seals? Will also likely replace the bushes, its got OME about 2/3" lift I think and a few battle scars now but will hopefully live for a another adventure!

cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Managed to get a snap of it!

F228E909-77F0-41CE-87BA-1D3F1B4DCEDE.jpeg

we saw this pop up forsale some time ago. i think mr lomas viewed it if i remember right. unless he new the previous owner.

Was it a few years ago? I think before it arrived in the frozen north as only my mate has had it since for his work truck.

Cheers

Welcome John that’s some beastly looking bumper you got there look forward to seeing your build for your in the right place with many members having lots of experience here.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Ha ha Dervis, it’s a bit Mad Max for sure, will likely look for something else, possibly with a winch, I have an ambition to drive to Magadan, Russia, well I’d love to do it on my bike, but I think this way the family can come!

Cheers

Was it a few years ago? I think before it arrived in the frozen north as only my mate has had it since for his work truck.

Cheers

yes john.
id guess around 4 years ago. think it was pretty good at the time

Ha ha Dervis, it’s a bit Mad Max for sure, will likely look for something else, possibly with a winch, I have an ambition to drive to Magadan, Russia, well I’d love to do it on my bike, but I think this way the family can come!

Cheers

Mmm, from the vids I’ve seen on u-toob, and a pending trip to Russia, maybe leaving the mad-max bumper on will be an option :lol:

It is a bit of overkill that’s for sure, I too remember this going around a few years ago, and apart from the ironwork, it did look like a sound 80...

Thanks, that’s good to hear, hopefully it will one day be good again! It’s been a good workhorse for my mate, so time for an easier life now! It’s had a bit of work looking at the mot history, and a few years parked up, along with a big spell driving in reverse....

Cheers

Hello john. Nice to have two budding young explorers on board, and on such a epic trip. Road of bones?

Hi John and welcome to the forum, "it’s a bit Mad Max for sure" - exactly what I thought when I saw the piccy!

we saw this pop up forsale some time ago. i think mr lomas viewed it if i remember right. unless he new the previous owner.

Yep thats the one, I knew the owner at the time ( another Andy) and when I last saw it it was in pretty fine fettle when I viewed it somewhere near Liverpool. At the time I think it was just priced a tad high but it did sell and the next owner as I recall was north of the border. I think I did report on its condition for any interested parties to consider.

Hi,

cheers

Yep, I've always found drilling out broken studs/ bolts and re tapping them to be therapeutic, and even satisfying but never "fun".

Haha Andy, I'm not sure if I meant the nasty words or the work involved in preparing them for use!

would be interesting to read the report if you were ever able to find it again

Chapel Gate, yep the Road of Bones and the Old Summer Road are a dream, I can't help thinking easier to do on the bike, but much more comfortable in the LC. Not sure I'd like to cross the Vitim bridge with the LC either!

cheers

Back