Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another oil thread, longer service interval on 1HD-FT

Rob

Garage
I konw much much we all love oil threads so here is another one ;)

As I am planing on going to Mongolia this summer, I would like to see if I can do the entire trip with only one oil change in Mongolia. The total trip will be around 20k miles. The reason i ask is that I would rather avoid the hassle of changing the oil every 6k miles which would equate to 1 every 3 weeks. I currently use semi-synth Toyota 10w40 which is nothing special. Could I use a better quality oil say a 5w40 or 10w40 fully synth oil like Mobil Synt S and change the oil every 10k? There are 2 reasons that I think that this is a possibility, firstly a better quality oil will not degrade over longer distances and break down all the nasties in the engine oil more efficiently (yes very technical). Secondly the 1HD-FTE has a service interval of 10k and is pretty much exactly the same engine as my 1HD-FT except it has a different injection system, intercooler and possibly a different turbo. Otherwise heads etc are all interchangeable from what I have heard.

What are your thoughts on the 10k service interval for the trip? Does Toyota recommend using their basic semi-synth 10w40 in the 1HD-FTE for the 10k service interval and if not what does Toyota recommend?

Hi Rob
To answer your question quickly because I have to go out.
Yes a long drain oil will do the trick, I have been using for some five years or so now.
Get back later
cheers
john

well it's up to you really...

I wouldn't personally though..

I change the oil and filter every 2.5k to 3k... (semi 10/40)
They are older engines now and love to be maintained.. :mrgreen:

If I was doing a trip like that I would be happy to do it every 3k in the morning just before I set off... I mean after all it's not a big job really...

Either way have a great trip and post many pictures... :d

Rob,
My 2c on the subject :mrgreen: I think you'll be fine with a 10k service interval using fully-synth. I think your potential problems come from running lower grade diesel which you may encounter as you get further east. High S diesel is going to cause acid build-up in your oil. Try and fill up from branded fuel stations as much as possible and keep an eye on the fuel filter for signs of grubby fuel or water. Even better would be to add a racor fuel filter to remove fine particles etc ahead of the OEM filter. Presume you'll take a spare fuel filter too and change it along with the oil change? As you have little time and won't be in a rush to spend more £££ when your trip is imminent, I'm guessing fancy fuel filters aren't a priority now.
Time and £££ permitting, you could also add an additional aftermarket oil filter. But I think you'll be ok as planned! Just use a good fully-synth like a Cat oil or something that the big trucks would use as these will probably have more substantial additive packs to counter contaminants.

On the flipside, the fact that you're there and back in a fairly short timeframe means that the oil isn't sitting in there separating or depositing solids out of suspension. If the fuel does seem nasty, roads very dusty etc you could always try and pick up some suitable en-route and do an extra change.

Cheers,

Any recommendations on what long life diesel oil that I should use? I recall a similar conversation on the other site but i cant find it (too many oil threads)

I've always thought that the 6k oil change was too frequent anyway. Oil technology in this day and age is so far ahead of what it used to be that any premium brand will do ok.
As you know, i've spent a fair bit of time working where you intend to drive across, looking after fleets of agricultural machinery. The only change we ever made to the servicing schedules was cleaning the air filter every day, changing the fuel filters more often but the oil change interval stayed the same, even with the extreme temp changes (+50 to -40) If we were remote then we would just change the oil filter but leave the oil alone.
The only major mod was fitting a basic fuel sediment filter. Doesn't have to be anything fancy but needs to have easy access and good visibility so you can drain or wash it out frequently. The biggest problem with fuel out there is the amount of water in it.
Even on the remote roads, there are decent fuel stations everywhere. The oil companies own everything and most have no customers as they are a money laundering/employment creation scheme so they can drill where they like. As labour is so cheap, its not uncommon for the fuel stations to do you an oil and filter change for only a couple of dollars while you fill up with diesel.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's a good idea, I could just change the oil filter after 5k and do the oil after 10k. The 80 has a valve on the bottom of the filter where you can drain the water from. Will keep a few spare fuel filters.

I have had a long talk with Andrew at opie oils, and after a call back he has recommended that I use Fuchs TITAN SYN DIESEL 10W-40 Ultimate Performance, Full Synthetic which will easily last 10k and is a commercial spec diesel oil so it will have all the necessary additives to cope with poor quality diesel. I might start using this stuff when I get back from Mongolia and only do an oil change every 10k, similar cost per mile as running Toyota semi synth 10w40 oil every 6k if you include the filter but far less hassle. Also if I use code WEEK26 then I get another 15% off any Fuchs product this week.

Rob said:
I have had a long talk with Andrew at opie oils, and after a call back he has recommended that I use Fuchs TITAN SYN DIESEL 10W-40 Ultimate Performance, Full Synthetic which will easily last 10k and is a commercial spec diesel oil so it will have all the necessary additives to cope with poor quality diesel. I might start using this stuff when I get back from Mongolia and only do an oil change every 10k, similar cost per mile as running Toyota semi synth 10w40 oil every 6k if you include the filter but far less hassle. Also if I use code WEEK26 then I get another 15% off any Fuchs product this week.

Thats the stuff i've been using for the past 30k miles- it made a significant improvement to the smoothness of the engine.

Choosing an oil is interesting- you need to find out the percentage of sulphur in the diesel where you are going, and match the total base number of the oil to that- there is a calculation which include the type of engie you have- be it direct or indirect injection.

Seem to remember that the Fuchs stuff is good for our engines on just about any sulphur level.

The chapter on oil in the VDEG is very interesting and totally relevant to what you are doing.

had my oil tested after coming back from South Morocco and even after 12k miles the fuchs stuff was showing low suspended ash, high- soap and high TBNs. was very very impressed considering the sheer amount of dust coupled with crappy diesel that had been used.

James what oil change interval do you run on the Fuchs Titan Syn Diesel? Do you reckon I could do 20k to Mongolia and back with no oil change in 9 weeks seeing as you did 12k to Morocco and back and the oil was still good? Andrew at opie said that it would last far longer than 10k but did not specify how much longer.

Should really get a copy of VDEG...

How good is the engine currently? if you have done lots of oil changes at the moment, and the engine is clean, and you use Toyota Filters i would run the engine on 20k on the syndiesel stuff- it would be buggered when you got back, but its unlikely to do permanant damage if the performance over 12k is anything to go by.

How about just doing a partial change? change 4l or so without changing the filter- say at 12k- this will add back some additives and should give a safety margin.

Have you done BEBs already? i wouldn't dirve 20k without an oil change without having done them for definite!

The engine is not in bad shape apart from some very slight blue smoke when cold, I do use Toyota filters but it has a poor service history record for the first 120K and I highly doubt that they used genuine filters. Its now on 137k. Its a 24 valve so no need for BEB. What I will probably do is run the oil Toyota oil that I already have in the truck and change it at the usual 6k and then run the syndiesel for the rest of the trip which will be around 15-16k. If I am doing a partial change I may as well do a full change including the filter.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but what did you end up doing Rob? I'm sure everyone else has a general view on oils as well... :icon-biggrin:

I have a barrel of Morris Ring Free VS Plus 15W40 mineral oil which the old owner used but I'm wondering if that is ok or whether I would be better off splashing out on something else (my knowledge of oils is pretty limited). I am heading to Mongolia via Iran and the 'stans and back via Russia so may encounter some poor quality fuels.

cheers,
Rich

Back