Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another rear axle question

smokyjoe

I took of the rear wheel to fit a new fuel pipe filler on saterday and to my shock found that the rear axle top link arm mount was torn from the axle, i spent a few hours welding it up with added strengthener plates and she looked good and strong so off we went for a nightime play, this morning clambered under truck to see how the job had held up and to my horror the other side has started to break off :shock:

i have already patched up the back off the axle where it was leaking diff oil from and refilled with fresh oil but it is still wineing so i think it will be best to hunt out a new rear axle complete rather than messing about strengthening this one up again :roll:

Has anyone else had this problem?
I have a surf with the same engine in would that axle fit my colorado it is also manual?
Where would be the best place to source another axle?
How would i identify that i was getting the wright axle for my truck?

Hey SJ, I can only answer one of those questions and that is - No this isn't a common problem on a 90. I would think that maybe something else is going that it causing this failure. The top links are pretty minor fabrications and only act under deceleration really. ie in stopping the axle form twisting under retardation force rather than acceleration like the bottom arms. OK it's not unheard of but not common.

Swapping the complete diff out isn't a biggie. From memory, the ratio is 4.3:1 on a 90. You shouldn't need to swap the whole diff out. If it's whining it's most likely just the main bearings which are replaceable.

Chris

Chris said:
Swapping the complete diff out isn't a biggie. From memory, the ratio is 4.3:1 on a 90. You shouldn't need to swap the whole diff out. If it's whining it's most likely just the main bearings which are replaceable.

Chris

The whole truck is pretty much rust free appart from the rear axle and fuel filler pipe, the axle caseing was leaking and was seriousely low on oil causeing the wineing diff, its not as bad a wine now but still there,
the top mount that i fixed yesterday was pretty thin metal as the rust had eaten it a bit, this i am sure is the only cause of the problem,
i would more than likely replace the axle as this has to be stronger than welding it and it would also be easier to swap a complete axle from a breaker.
any idea where i would find out a surf diff ratio and if the axle would fit.

Back