Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another viewing

Just to update, I have sold my cruiser today. Money should be in the account in the next few days and she goes next Thursday.

Long story short she went for her MOT yesterday and the chap mentioned that I have a "nice motor" there to which I replied, it’s for sale if you want. He chuckled and then today I get a call from a mate of his asking if he could come and have a look. 10min later he is at the door has a look around, drives around the block, 5 min max and shakes my hand.

Now all I need is to find a new one.

Good,
No messing.
Just what you needed.

Gra.

Good news Warren. Keep up the search, you'll find the cruiser thats right for you.

Well that one I looked at for you was a lot better than that one you saw in York. Good luck with your search, I hope you find a decent one :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Right Oh one viewing is booked in for tonight and if not successful then I will make arraingments to get down there this weekend.

There is some movment on price which is always good, it needs 2 new front tyres, the up and down steering wheel motor is shot and the AC needs regassing they say.

Will keep you posted.

Might the AC have a leak if it needs regassing? Could be worth bargaining power on price.

Will certainly keep that in mind and seen as a fix can be as much as £1500 from toyota or £120 if I go the same route I did last time with a flexi hose there are options.

warrenpfo said:
Depending on price we may have a new contender.
http://www.gliddoncars.com/used/TOYOTA/ ... rettyPhoto[gallery]/1/

It has very low miles, I would need some verification that they are genuine BUT it also has the 5spd box.

Will keep you posted, fingers crossed a day trip to Cornwall may be on the cards this weekend.
Wow, that seems phenomenal money for a 2003 model, 5 speed or not. :o And it's not mint with aircon knackered, expensive steering motors shot and 2 front tyres needed (begs the question how it wore 2 tyres out in the first 26k of its life when steering geometry and suspension should be at its best :? )
IMO it would be a good buy at £10k less...

I know you've done a ton of homework on pricing but that looks hugely overpriced - my 2c. I turned down a 2002 (52 plate) GX with a load of extras including winch, rear drawers, OME suspension, full bash-plates etc with low miles at not much more than half the price.. And the aircon worked :D It was also a 5 speed...manual...

Apologies if the price comments are out of line. (are there Larrys Rules for this? :oops: )

Cheers,

No no I like to hear everyone’s comments and I too am torn between spending £20k on a 5spd box when I can get a 3spd 03 for 12K. fact of the matter is the 5spd just drives that much nicer.

My thinking is that if you add another year and so now its an 04 you wont find one with less miles but that aside they all start around £18k+ I agree it is allot of money even if £20k was the agreed price discussed.

The dealer said the outside edge of the tyres have worn down that is why they need replacing. They are still legal but wanted to point it out.

The steering motor is a common fault and the AC....well I have my doubts as to if its run out or has a leak. Either way the 5spd models do command a higher price no matter what age or mileage. The cheapest one around at the moment is an 04 with 151k miles on the clock going for £15.5k.

If its in mint condition otherwise i.e. body and underside is clean then £20k is a good price.

my 2c

The 5sp is really much nicer to drive than the 4sp. Not only beacause of the number of gear steps, but the engine and gearbox are controlled by a different ECU, with very different characteristics. It just works better.
In addition to the differences in the ECU and the box, there are differences in the IP, the valves, the intake air-speed control, the turbo, the shut-off valve, the IC, the air-bags and the headlights. (etc etc) All in all a better animal.
What is not improved, are the controls for the heating and ventilation - Completely stupid and illogical on the non-nav. version. And the radio is more difficult to replace than on the early years.

Whether the improved, newer version is worth £8k extra is a different matter.... Do you need an offroad vehicle or a super-comfy offroad-able vip-ride? There is nothing wrong with the 4 sp, just more stone-age (As long as the converter issue is solved).
I would go for a 2005 or up if I could afford it.

No no I like to hear everyone’s comments and I too am torn between spending £20k on a 5spd box when I can get a 3spd 03 for 12K. fact of the matter is the 5spd just drives that much nicer.

I have been in discussion tonight with some of the members over on the SA landcruiser site which has made me start to think yet again as to what I need.

If I am to simplify down what it is that I want it’s the following:

A reliable family sized capable 4x4 that going to get me to my destination and back. That can be used as a daily drive if need be but also able to do an over landing adventure with a few modifications in comfort.

Having driven my current 03 for 18 months I can say that a Landcruiser Amazon is the vehicle for me. Not only do I now have all the gear for what I want but I have gained a wealth of information and knowledge and feel comfortable knowing that if a good base vehicle is found I would be able to maintain and repair it.

So why not keep the one I have. Well for a number of reasons but mainly that the body has a number of small rust spots that have been taken care of BUT rust like cancer never goes away completely rather coming back in cars over and over again.

So initially I went out and test drove a 5spd which as mentioned above really impressed me and perhaps clouded my better judgment. It would be nice to have all the refinement that the 04 and later models bring to the party BUT at what cost? At first the budget was £15k then it grew to £18k and now it’s £20k....that’s a lot of money for a car which not only would I still have to get to SA but then I would have to pay VAT at 14% and further import costs.

Then on arriving in SA with no job, a child and wife to support and a landcruiser to fuel up cash is going to be the biggest asset to me so surely a 2000 to 2003 landcruiser is equally as capable as the later models and yes they may be less refined and more worn in but then is that not going to suit what the car is being bought for. Bush rash, kids jumping on the seats, dogs in the back and dust and dirt everywhere.

Perhaps that is why I am finding this decision so hard. Not that I don’t want an 04 or later because I do but rather because spending that kind of money when I can spend half that and get just as capable a car is what my brain is telling me to do.

So with this in mind I have taken the decision to widen the search and find that great base model and rather than be constrained on budget rather hold out for a vehicle that is in good condition, does not have satnav controlled AC may even be a manual and pocket the extra £8k or there abouts for that time next year in SA when I wake up 6 months down the road still not having found a job but wanting to go on a week’s trip with the family and be able to do so because I made the smart decision when back in the UK.

So on that note I shall retire to my bed in the hope that tomorrow I don’t wake up even more confused because I think what I have said makes sense and is the right thing. It also means that I should have a larger number of vehicles to choose from and may even have some cash left over to add that longranger tank I always wanted but new I would not be able to afford.

Night night.

For what its worth I have always regretted not going the extra bit and getting the widget that had the extra bells and whistles, especially if it was within my budget.......

I think this thread is going to end up as big as ben 70 thread and you still havnt brought one!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Warren.Im lucky that im the type of person who gets it in my head what i want and i go out and buy it within a week. Some people look at the pros and cons over and over and there heads still keep pondering.

I hope you can decide what it is your after and i hope you find it.

Why not think about the 80 route again.For the money your thinking of spending you can get a great truck and still have plenty.Or buy two good 80s one in your name and one in the wifes and imporrt them both to SA and make a tidy amount of money :think:

Karl

warrenpfo said:
Perhaps that is why I am finding this decision so hard. Not that I don’t want an 04 or later because I do but rather because spending that kind of money when I can spend half that and get just as capable a car is what my brain is telling me to do.

So with this in mind I have taken the decision to widen the search and find that great base model and rather than be constrained on budget rather hold out for a vehicle that is in good condition, does not have satnav controlled AC may even be a manual and pocket the extra £8k or there abouts for that time next year in SA when I wake up 6 months down the road still not having found a job but wanting to go on a week’s trip with the family and be able to do so because I made the smart decision when back in the UK.

So on that note I shall retire to my bed in the hope that tomorrow I don’t wake up even more confused because I think what I have said makes sense and is the right thing.
As Karl said, maybe an 80 is the answer - IF you can find one that ticks all your boxes. I have been in a very similar position to you (except I have now pulled the trigger and will be landing in SA in 3 weeks) What decided things for me is that my job is taking me to a city - an "old" (>5 year old) vehicle that is fairly thirsty and relative costly to maintain is not going to work for me as a daily commuter. And I know I'm still having a LC. So I concluded that the LC will be a 3rd vehicle, used occasionally but basically a pile of cash parked off for at least 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year. So the 80 fits the bill for me.

But if your situation is different and you're not commuting daily, and the LC can serve as your primary vehicle, then the 100 makes better sense, being newer and used more regularly. Especially if you live in a more rural setting and your wife and family use it as a family hauler too.

But it's not an easy choice :lol: Good luck!

Well thats it, the money is in the account and the car is gone.

Well done, now you just have to find yourself a nice 80 :lol:

Back