Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another viewing

warrenpfo said:
Perhaps that is why I am finding this decision so hard. Not that I don’t want an 04 or later because I do but rather because spending that kind of money when I can spend half that and get just as capable a car is what my brain is telling me to do.

So with this in mind I have taken the decision to widen the search and find that great base model and rather than be constrained on budget rather hold out for a vehicle that is in good condition, does not have satnav controlled AC may even be a manual and pocket the extra £8k or there abouts for that time next year in SA when I wake up 6 months down the road still not having found a job but wanting to go on a week’s trip with the family and be able to do so because I made the smart decision when back in the UK.

I think that's the right choice. The 4sp and 5sp aren't that far apart - and for where you are going and what you are doing I'd reckon the fewer electrics the better. I've just been to see one near Manchester that you've probably spotted - an 04 at £15k with 63k miles. Black. Looks nice until you spot it's been keyed down the drivers side, the wing (although it's the original wing) has been painted with blackboard paint, the drop links need doing, the sat nav (and climate etc) doesn't work and the steering motor is fubar. So - it's over £2k to get it right - assuming that no-one knows how to fix these units and it has to be replaced. I'm also thinking of a nice 4sp example if I can find one and bugger the gear change. It doesn't matter when you're on the motorway anyway...!

I am glad you had a look at that black one as it was only an hour back I was having a conversation with the wife around the car and said is it worth going to have a look as it seems a good price for what is an 04 but as you said it needs some work doing.

I would be keen to get any further thought you may have on it as the satnav units do come up on ebay from time to time but as you say they are not cheap. My thinking was offer £13500 as he has been trying to sell it for some time now and must be getting desperate.

How bad is the keyed side panels, is it right down through to the white undercoat and is it from front to back.

I would consider it if you thought it would make a nice car.

warrenpfo said:
I am glad you had a look at that black one as it was only an hour back I was having a conversation with the wife around the car and said is it worth going to have a look as it seems a good price for what is an 04 but as you said it needs some work doing.

I would be keen to get any further thought you may have on it as the satnav units do come up on ebay from time to time but as you say they are not cheap. My thinking was offer £13500 as he has been trying to sell it for some time now and must be getting desperate.

How bad is the keyed side panels, is it right down through to the white undercoat and is it from front to back.

I would consider it if you thought it would make a nice car.

keyed panels - front drivers door, passenger door and rear quarter, down to the undercoat. He was talking about repainting the whole side - what worries me more is what happened to the wing in the first place and how it has been fixed as the repair is to a very low standard. The bonnet is also marked and he was talking about including that in the job.

As I looked around it the work mounted up - although it has been serviced by Toyota the list of things needed was impressive - Toyota's list came to about £3k. He said he started at £17995 and was now at the bottom price. I think you may need to spend £3k on it (bulk being nav/climate unit). I think £12k to 13k is the market value of it - but he wouldn't accept that and if he would I'd be first in the queue!

I'm looking at others in the trade at the moment -
  • * 0303 MILEAGE: 95,000 Miles 4 owners Silver, Full service history partially by franchise UK Car Diesel -- later touch screen sat nav model,recent service inc cambelt,minor cosmetics to front and rear bumper otherwise exceptionally clean and well cared for car. -- 2 keys available. at £13k - this will be 4speed and
  • * an 0404 MILEAGE: 72,000 Miles 1 owner Silver, Full service history partially by franchise UK Car - says he has been offered £18k but I don't believe him
  • * 0353 MILEAGE: 81,222 Miles 3 owners Silver, last serviced at 73,547 in February 2011. 2 x keys. Ex-Demo + 2 private owners, last owner for 6 1/2 years and was used for field work so needs around £500-£600 of spend including cosmetics and aircon doesn't blow cold. They want 14k

That black one - you could live with the paintwork, the duff wing and the column motor but the nav unit controls the radio, heater and phone etc etc so it would make it very inconvenient to have to wait until one came up on ebay....
so finding a nice 4 speed one with decent miles and good history makes a lot of sense. Although the bells and whistles would be nice you can fit all the other bits for a fraction of the price (double din nav, camera) - so is £8k or so for an extra gear and smoother change worth it?

You should look at the Prados, they are only fractionally smaller, faster, more economic, lighter and you will get a much newer one for the same money.

Just a thought .

AndrewT said:
You should look at the Prados, they are only fractionally smaller, faster, more economic, lighter and you will get a much newer one for the same money.

Just a thought .

I know - and have considered it - but once you've had an Amazon nothing else will do......

That's fair, better the devil you know.

They are both great trucks, but the real bargain, which I see a lot on the trail these days is the hi-lux. And you can get a brand new one for £18k

Good luck on your hunt though

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I reckon he has bought an 03 with 5 speed box and really low mileage. Just a guess though;)

Joe

Back