Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another what's it worth thread . . .

Ian Rubie

Country Flag
uk
Time has come to part company with my green car.

To be perfectly clear from the outset, there is not a straight panel on it. It is an off road toy that has met more than its fair share of trees etc. Some of you have seen it in action and know what it can do.

It is a 1996 manual 80 Series. When it left the factory it was a 24 valve diesel, for reasons we don't need to go into here it now has a 12 valve diesel with recently reconditioned pump and injectors. When the engine was fitted (approx 4 months ago) it was treated to a new genuine Toyota clutch.

It has OME suspension with spring spacers at the front. It also has a body lift. It is running 37” tyres that have a Simex Extreme Trekker pattern on Hilux steel wheels. There is plenty of tread on them but they have been used off road and have some damage to a few of the side lugs.

It has a TJM front bar with a hydraulic winch. The winch is a bit of a monster. It has a chain driven hydraulic pump that sits where the air con compressor used to be. Speed wise it is similar to a Mile Marker Type R. I don’t know feet per minute measurements but under high load it pulls at a fast walking pace. Under low load when in high gear it pulls a jogging pace. Being hydraulic, rope speed is linked to engine speed. You want faster winching give it a rev! The winch has a dedicated oil tank that sits where one of the batteries used to. It now has a 12 volt starter and a big Odyssey battery. Some of you will know the winch had teething problems with breaking chains. These have been cured with a motorbike chain instead of the original light duty item.

It has Longfield front shafts and CV joints. They have done less than 1000 miles.

It has 4.56 locking diffs that were rebuilt a couple of years ago. Needless to say the actuators are in perfect working order.

Moving to the back of the car, it has had the rear cross member cut off and replaced with a custom made one with much less overhang.

It has an ARB full length roof rack.

It has a couple of months tax and MOT.

Now the big question, what do you think it’s worth?

EDIT - Not sure if to put this in lounge or classifieds. It's a what's it worth post, not a for sale one so went for lounge.

20120212_141606.jpg

20120212_141557.jpg

20120212_141541.jpg

20120212_141634.jpg

20120212_141646.jpg

20120212_141714.jpg

Not that it probably matters, but what is the interior like Ian? Really difficult to put a price on a vehicle like this, what would it cost to build a vehicle like this not including the cost of the vehicle?

It has a beige leather interior. The drivers seat edge has a hole in it. Drivers seatbelt is grey. It needed a new one for the last MOT and beige belts were no longer available.

The fairest description is it's dirty!

It cost more than I dare add up. The winch was about £2k, longfield bits £750, suspension about £750, wheels and tyres £700, pump and injector recon £800, can't remember about roof rack, diff regear etc etc

Ian

Well if I had the cash I would possibly consider paying about £6k for it :think: However this is a wild guess as I do not know what the current market values are for 80s.

Thanks Rob. It is a tough one to price. I have a figure in mind but at the moment don't want to say how close you were. Anyone else?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry to see this thread, Ian :(
I reckon your best bet of realising money is selling the valuable parts and selling it close to standard spec and probably taking a hit on the cosmetic damage knocking the price a little.
Obviously someone wanting a capable offroader would be prepared to pay a lot more. But that's a fairly limited market. My 2c anyway - I think £6k-ish would be a fair price but you might get more selling the parts.

Cheers,

Thanks Andrew. I would like to sell it as a whole. I don't have the time or inclination to strip it down. I am prepared for a big financial kicking.

Dibs on the bumper Ian!!! :lol:

Shame you are having to sell man... Hmmm, who else could be in a similar situation... :(

Body's not even cold and the vultures are choosing their parts... :evil:

Sent from my HD using Tapatalk

If I had the space and cash I would have this. Not sure on worth so not going to speculate, but hope you get a descent amount for it Ian.

Trevor said:
I'll swap it for my 70 Ian :D
Let me think about that for a bit and just check exactly how frozen hell is at the moment :lol:

Ian

To be fair, I was hoping on Ian accepting the offer having returned from a Sunday lunch at his local after a few beers but I can see the advantages of 3 lockers if Hell is frozen :lol:

Hi Ian,

Sorry to hear you are needing, wanting to sell.
It must be a real kicker to see all your hard work frittled away.
At least you have come terms that you are going to get a kick in the goolies.
It's always the case that it's worth more to you, than to some one else, and that it's only worth as much as the other person is prepared to pay, no matter how low the offer or acceptance.

It does have a few battle scars, which probably indicate how capable it is.
Then if you do strip all teh goodies off it, you make the remainder quite unatractive to sell to any one.

Tough position, but I am sure you are not alone, and there are a few Land Cruiser owners who are now realising that to run one of these vehicles requires determiination and deeper than average pockets.
The 80 series are good, but sadly a little "past their sell by date" as far as a daily driver.
Unless you are going to do a really decent trans continental trip soonish, then I can't see the point of you holding onto it.

Gra.

Hi sorry about reading your wanting to sell

I'm prob gonna get slated for this but i think you'd really struggle to get someone to part with £6000 for it .

Yes i know it has all the expensive mods and it's well looked after etc
But It doesn't have the right engine , It's had more hits than the costa concordia , has short mot etc

The fact is people buy with there eyes . It is big but it aint pretty
If i'm honest i think you'd get between £3,000 and £4,000 for it if you put it on ebay etc .

I'm agreeing with people sell the valuable parts and then sell the truck as standard as possible

Even break it up totaly sell engine , box , axles , suspension , all the mods , etc , that'd see you some good money

NOW LET THE SLATING BEGIN :?

Thanks for your reply. I know it will be worth more as bits but I really can't be bothered to strip it down.

The whole point of this thread is to try and work out how much it's worth. All honest opinions count.

Ian

Back