Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another what's it worth thread . . .

I agree wholeheartedly with what Rob said earlier. All those who have seen my 80 know it is a bit 'cosmetically challenged' :whistle: but it is well equipped and maintained (not by me I hasten to add) but a combination of Julian V and Greggs magic touches have kept it going strong. I know it wouldn't fetch much if sold (Never, while there's breath in my body) I've now got a Lexus as a daily drive, so when/if I can get it insured it will be my plaything.
i-love-you-190.GIF

Jon Wildsmith said:
if I remember right it has been around a bit including Libya Ian?
Yes I did drive it to Libya.
Jon Wildsmith said:
get a carpet cleaner on it as well
I'm all for good maintenance but lets not take it too far :lol:

Unfortunately I doubt that you would get much more than around £4-5k and will probably have to be patient with the sale.

Trying not to be too boring, but you will get the most return by striping it for the component parts.

It only really appeals to a very small niche market and for many in that market part of the fun is actually building the truck up - once you have that all conquering truck you get bored and sell it - ref Jon and now Ian :)

So why has it been downgraded to a 12 valve - did you kill the original engine?

Julian Voelcker said:
So why has it been downgraded to a 12 valve - did you kill the original engine?
No I did not kill it, I sold it. In my opinion the 12v is a better engine for the use I put the vehicle to. Yes the 24v is slightly more fuel efficient and gives more top end power but even with pump tweeks I don't think it is as good very low down the rev range.

I say again this is my opinion and no doubt others will say different. I have owned both types, driven both types off road and I prefer the 12v. Plus people seem to pay silly high money for 24v engines, more than enough to buy a 12v and get the pump and injectors overhauled.

Same with the Suzuki Vitara :) The earlier 8valve lump is a far better and more torquey engine than the 16valve, particuly in the lower rev range and thus much better suited to off-roading use, IMHO :) ;)

I find the key with the 24valve is to get the pump tuning right - the LCOOL tweaks are a good starting point, but really just a guide - a lot depends on the state of the tune before you start. I find with most 80s we see the basic tuning is all over the place so you need to be a lot more methodical and careful with the tuning.

Side by side I recon a properly tuned 24valve manual will always out perform a 12 valve manual from tick over through to the red line.

Comparing an auto to a manual, the auto will always feel torquier due to the multiplying effect of the torque converter

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Julian Voelcker said:
Side by side I recon a properly tuned 24valve manual will always out perform a 12 valve manual from tick over through to the red line
Well you have tinkered with a lot more cars than me. Having driven a 12v that had not had the pump adjusted and a 24v that had (by you) my seat of the pants feeling told me I liked the 12v better. I should add that both were manuals.

Guess I should have tweaked yours a bit further :)

Have done a lot more and learnt a lot more since doing the basic LCOOL tweaks on yours nearly 4 years ago!

(like you I had always maintained that the 12 valves had more low down grunt, but having played with a lot more 24 valves now I'm not so convinced)

You can tweak mine a bit further while you've got it there Julian. :thumbup:

Back