Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anti inversion shackles hitting the leafs

Esben Bøll

Country Flag
denmark
have just installed TerrainTamer parabolic Leafs on my 75 series.
With them came anti inversion shackles.
My problem is now that the shackles hit the leafs all the time.. well not the leafs but that little bracket thing. (Please see attached pictures.)

Any idea what is going on?

Did I get the wrong front shackles? Did I mount them wrong? And since I am traveling right now.... Can I just cut of the part of the shackles that are hitting and turn then into normal shackles?

Attachments

• 20220804_091445.jpg
    20220804_091445.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220804_091442~2.jpg
    20220804_091442~2.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 6
Is the spring clamp fixed to the lower spring in the second picture if not move it back a bit until you get a definite answer on whether they are back to front upside down or on the wrong side and as for cutting them it's probably a lot of money spent to cut up

So it turns out it is a design flaw on the leafs. TerrainTamer got back to me and said I should just remove the bolt and bend the clips over the top leaf. (Please see attached picture)

They said they will move the clip position in the next product batch.

Since the clip is just boltet onto the leaf with a countersunk 8mm bolt. I was thinking if I could just drill a new hole about 5 cm further from the shackles, pry the 2 Leafs apart, move the countersunk bolt from it's original position to the new hole and then just mount the clip in a new position.

I know this would weaken the leaf a little but there is already holes in it for the clip bolt and also one larger to hold the rubber in place between the 2 Leafs.

So does one more whole really matter

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 7
Moving the clip position in the next batch is of no help to you after buying their kit that isn't fit for purpose. You shouldnt have to modify their product to get it to fit, and potentially weaken it either. When you do that, any warranty you may have is gone.
I would be asking for a refund and use what you have, or written agreement that you will be given a free kit from the next batch. There was obviously no trial from what you have said/shown when they designed and manufactured them.

Can agree with Tractionman on the warranty side of your problem the last thing you need is to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with broken front springs and your truck on its front bumper praying to the gods of overlanding vehicles
If there is enough room available could you redrill the spring clamp hole below the present one and angle grind the excess down that way you have only sacrificed a clamp not the spring or as they have said big hammer it flat

I ended up bending the clip as this was the only solution TerrainTamer would approve of.
Looks like shit and is most definitely be a temporary solution.
But also the only solution I could manage as I am on the road and didn't feel like risking any warranty issues.
When I get home I will try and get something from TerrainTamer. If nothing else then a fresh set of clips I can weld an extension onto. (See drawing)

Attachments

• 20220810_194636.jpg
    20220810_194636.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 7
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I completely understand your predicament and course of action.
What a joke for T/T to give you a only a solution they "approve" of when the situation was created by their poor parts design and no swaps/reimbursement offered either.
They obviously knew what you were talking about to give an 'approved solution', which makes me wonder if they already knew/had complaints before ?
Sounds like they build and design, not design and build.
Have a good safe trip. Good luck !

Back