Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Any reason not to buy General Grabber AT2s?

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Ok so I have been itching for a long time now for some new tyres.
I've settled on Grabber AT2s as they seem to get good reviews for on road and off.

My other option were STTs but not convinced they will serve me well on road. I do about 20k a year on tar and would like them to last. I do like them though... :cool:

So, I can get a set fitted, at work, from Event Tyres for £506 on Tuesday. Any reason I should not go for them?
I know everyone has their opinion and this is a hot topic but what I am looking for is "I had them and they fell off after 3 weeks" kind of thing.

Cheers,
Crispin

Had them on my Disco 3 and they were great, i would always put them on the "newer" type vehicles.

Go for it! They would be my pick if I was going for ATs! I'm guessing you're pretty limited in 17" tyres anyway, so that narrows your choices down!
What size are you going for - 265/70-17? I see General offer two different load ratings in that size, the higher load rating (121) is lower speed (Q) versus the 115S.

You might want to check if Toyo do the Open Country AT in that size - their AT is really nice and I suspect Jon will vouch for them. Having had both Toyo ATs and GG AT2, he's in a good position to judge! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Any reason not to buy General Grabber AT2s?

Only that you we always regret not getting BFG A/T's :mrgreen:

All joking about, I have used them on my hilux for 11 years, ok that's only a couple of sets but I would not risk going for any other A/T.

yup, 265 70 17s. They might rub but that would only force me to get a lift :cool:

They do have the Toyo ones but they pretty steep. Was £675 for a set of 4 vs £506 for the Grabber AT2s

I am going for the 112S which is 115mph and 1.12ton per wheel. The slower ones have a higher weight rating but a) don't have stock and b) cost a fair amount more.
I think I am and will be for a while, well within the limits. Not sure though what the rating is for the Dunlops I have on now.

Thanks chaps.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hold yer horses...

Just checked again and it was the BFGs that were £173 a corner, the Grabbers were £131 and the Toyo are £102 a corner.

so - anything good to say about them? Save me £100... :cool:

Now your decision gets more interesting :mrgreen:

BTW what are you doing about a spare? Keeping a Dunflop will mean the spare is smaller than your new tyres?

Crispin said:
Don't need that - been going round and round about this for months now. I want them before Saturday. :evil:

Maybe pray for no rain this week and wait until you can get the tyres you want :idea:

The Toyos IMHO are more road-biased than the GG AT2s, if that helps you make your mind up. Otherwise, get hold of Jon and ask him what he thinks.

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question on the AT2s,as to how quiet are they on road compared to standard issue road tyres. Have been struggling to get an AT for our 150,as its on 18s. standard are 265 60 18s,can get 265 65 18 in a BFG, but i am not a fan and also get the AT2s in 255 65 18s,but not had much to do with them.

Cheers,Tony.

Hi Tony, they are a wee bit noisier but nothing intrusive I would say. I've got them fitted to a van which seems to amplify everything. They are quiet enough at 70mph+ for me.

Thanks,Graham,
I made a mistake on size, the AT2s are 255 60 18,not 65 so going smaller. If they were 65 they would be slightly bigger. The Toyos as discussed are 265 70 18s,but they then go up over 2" more in dia,so need to know if they would fit.They would suit fine being stronger than standard, & quiet on road.
Sorry,dont mean to highjack thread.

I like the Toyo compound and pattern (is more open than GG/BFG so clears better) but some people have reported them wearing quickly so that can make them expensive to run but reading between the lines I think that will depend on driving style (so mine won't wear well ;) ). I don't think any of the BFG, GG or Toyo AT's will dissapoint you so whichever you get they should be a good investment.

EDIT: P.S. don't make the mistake of choosing tyres just because you can get them in time for your outing on Saturday, you'll have to live with them for much longer than that!

EDIT P.P.S. I would choose the LT's where there is a choice for the much tougher side walls at the risk of a slightly harsher ride.

TonyS said:
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question on the AT2s,as to how quiet are they on road compared to standard issue road tyres. Have been struggling to get an AT for our 150,as its on 18s. standard are 265 60 18s,can get 265 65 18 in a BFG, but i am not a fan and also get the AT2s in 255 65 18s,but not had much to do with them.

Cheers,Tony.

Slight hum but you will have to listen for it with no other sounds.

Thanks chaps,

Would the slower speed rating / higher load have the stronger sidewall?

Jon - only reason for getting them before the weekend is fear of ruining another Dunlop.
The first time I went there I ripped a brand new one, I figure I'll get better tyres before it happens again.
Having said that, Tommo also had a puncture in his BFG so actually means nothing... :?

nothing is completely rip proof, even my Simex I have sliced the sides a few times and they're pretty tough.

I have a BFG MT with a torn sidewall :shock:

Back