Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Any recomendation for free wheeling Hubs on the front of a 100 series?

Mikeharris1992

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi there

So after my centre diff lock woes I'm going to fit free wheeling front Hubs, does anybody run them?

The avm ones look cheap, are they any good or just cheap?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike, if it’s anything like the 80 series the advice would probably be avoid deleting the permanent 4wd. From what I’ve read it upsets the balance of the vehicle in corners so much that folks have reverted back. Can’t comment on either as I’ve not done this myself. Personally I would always try and repair the truck to factory spec with each issue. These trucks are great for a reason, that is that Toyota parts and design generally (if not always) have little room for improvement.
Someone with more experience may come along but in the meantime, I wouldn’t rush into anything.

Best
Rich

I agree there great truck, and the system works well, when it's working but financially it doesn't make sense for me.

I've drive a 2wd converted one felt alright to me, I only use mine for towing and driving 2 miles to and from work.

It's done 318,000 miles, it's purely a work horse.

So locking it in centre difflock and fitting front free wheeling Hubs is cheaper than replacing the the centre diff lock motor that's seized, all three transfer box switches switches that don't work.

That way I might be able to stretch to fixing the rear diff lock that's seized solid.

See what I mean, Hubs are £150 ish?

Not much money to make my landcruiser have at least 2wd again !

Bored of my 1wd landcruiser got stuck again today.

Attachments

• IMG_1895.PNG
    IMG_1895.PNG
    346.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Sad
Reactions: uHu
So fitted them, to be fair fitted well, work alright, not as good as an asin hub but they will do.

Good for the money I guess !

Now just need to trim centre cap to fit over them.

Attachments

• 63B61C1B-4F93-40AD-B790-C3D73D508754.jpg
    63B61C1B-4F93-40AD-B790-C3D73D508754.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 57
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Finished the centre caps off last night

so much better on fuel than it was ! Steering is lighter, when revering trailer I can use 2 wheel drive low range which works well !

Attachments

• 9569B10B-6E10-4D58-84F2-1A313E9A8087.jpeg
    9569B10B-6E10-4D58-84F2-1A313E9A8087.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 62
Also it’s removed all of the transmission play, the front diff bushes are worn, but as there’s no torque now put through the front diff it’s now seamless ! No clunks between gear changes, it lights up the rear tyres of roundabouts but I’ve always had hilux and Navara that do that, so I’m not fussed.

The nearside front drive flange was nearly worn out, common on these to wear the splines away, so its win win there too !

Nope suzuki and willys jeeps ! I’ve had 25 plus hilux’s cruisers prados Colorado’s nissan Patrol’s ect !

This is my suzuki, couple of bits of toyota on him !

Attachments

• D4145F28-AF8D-45A0-AAA3-11D32E8FF660.jpeg
    D4145F28-AF8D-45A0-AAA3-11D32E8FF660.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 70
You gave me an idea though , the mrs keeps nagging about the state of the backyard so i'm gonna paint the windows , that'll fix it :thumbup:

Back