Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Any recommendations on bike racks?

Dave_S

My eldest (she's 8) has just discovered mountain biking, which means I have re-discovered mountain biking o_O. I can fit her bike in the back behind the second row, but mine obviously won't fit too, so looking to fit a quick release/removable bike rack onto the top tailgate. I don't plan to leave it on, just fit it when we need to bring bikes...

Aye - hadn't really thought about a tow ball mount, but as long as its quick release that would work. What exactly did you and Clive do to yours!??

I tried a tow ball one it was great but it covered up the lights and number plate. So I got a tailgate one, (loads 2nd hand for £10 ish) you can still lift the tailgate up with the bikes on but you need to prop it up. Doesn't cover the lights. Ideal really.

I am after a swing out receiver hitch tray type bike carrier., with a bit of ground clearance
They are available in USA but not in U.K.,
Saw a place selling them on web in Netherlands, but cost £1k

Think I might end up fabricating the receiver hitch swing out part and bolting a Thule Carrier to it

This sort of thing

IMG_3684.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The towbar mounted hanging racks are simple and light enought for my wife to fit and use on her vehicle when I'm not around to help heave the heavy platform rack around... actually looking to get rid of it now... used it twice but just not worth the effort for local trips

Ok, as prompted by @StarCruiser, some photos are needed, I’m thinking ...

Don’t know the Thule product number for this one, but it’s super strong and the clamping device to a tow-ball is ultra positive...

94591A3A-0544-46BC-8CB8-BB2E37D9AFBB.jpeg

26203420-0058-494E-AE2F-34FFE00D5DCD.jpeg

I could stand on this and do a jig without it moving...

And with a couple of bikes...

39199AFC-169C-4585-A0BA-63721C2974EA.jpeg

9F86D5E2-8632-4F13-B675-9B08D675A66E.jpeg

990A1578-0311-4E86-BB2A-66F974239596.jpeg

1A86CD87-1A04-4F2C-B594-3882F3361563.jpeg

My only concern is how low it is, the bottom of the wheels is at tow-ball level.

As it’s a receiver mount, I’m going to get a riser tube made up so that the rack is above “rear-ender shunter” level...

Maybe as high as the top of the spare, with the rack angled top forward so that the bikes lean towards the front of the truck on the same slope as the rear windows.

However, I don’t think this arrangement would work very well with a tailgate...

24454E79-737A-48D4-BFA5-CC0B6FFFA28D.jpeg

Last edited:
After trying loads out in years gone by, tow bar mount every time. As mentioned, thule make great light weight racks, pendle are also good, not as light though...

Believe it or not, that rack Clive has now, was the subject of a sideways hit by my 80. :shifty: The Main Body of the rack didn’t even bend and the clamp was sufficiently strong for the pokey out from under the bumper type of tow bar it was attached to to become, somewhat misaligned. :whistle:
Thule also do a locking device to stop ne’er do wells from unhitching and running off with it.
£150 buys it (or did it’s replacement) on Amazon.

Back