Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anybody extend brake hoses after lift?

Knucklehead

Hello all,

In the process of gathering bits and bobs for upcoming brake overhaul.

Was about to pull the trigger on stainless brake line kit to suit my 93'.
The ABS kit comes with seven hoses then noticed that in OZ they offer kits to suit 2" lift which got me thinking.

The pic in EPC for ABS show 2 front 'flex No1' hoses that seem to attach from hard lines down to the axle(there is also middle flex hose at rear).
I'm thinking the hoses to the calipers would be fine but did anybody extend these two hoses at the front and one at the rear?

Must admit I never even checked how stretched these hoses were after the lift as never knew they were there!
If it ever stops pissing down I will go and have a look. Dave.
brake hoses.jpg

Last edited:
I've done 2 x 2" lifts I didn't find it necessary to extend any hoses, but when I did the 2 x 4" lifts, I extended the front and back hoses. They were tight. And the breathers too, they kept pulling out. But for the 2" like I said it was fine.

Cheers Chris, never thought there would be an issue with 2" lift until seen the kits being sold with extended lines for it.
Never even thought to look at the upper ABS flex hose when put the lift in.

Will just go with the standard length kit.

Dave.

Seen two pipes rip out on a supposed two inch lift, both on vehicles used in proper off road situations. Whilst I cannot confirm if the two inches was indeed that amount, it is odd that the problems occurred after doing a lot of driving involving putting the axle through some articulation.

It might be worth checking all the same, also seem to remember Toyota offering an 'extended brake line kit' that was also for two inch lifts.

regards

Dave

What do I know. I've only done two of these and off roaded them.

Yep, you need longer hoses.

Something you haven't mentioned that really is important even with a small lift, is to adjust your bump stops.

Last edited:
depends on the springs and shocks used to achieve the lift, 2" of lift doesn't always mean only 2" extra travel, but your standard off the shelf OME / Pedders etc 2" kit should be ok.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers fellas.
Think I will have a good look at those middle hoses before ordering as still put the old wagon through some decent off-roading.
Adjusting bump stops is something else I hadn't bothered with. Looks like busy new year coming up.

Dave.

I didn't mod either stops or hoses.

Although it's never been a problem on my 80, I suppose I should get round to it one day.:think:

Yeah Clive, to be honest never heard of anybody extending hoses for mild 2.5" lift but those frame to axle lines have got me thinking.
For peace of mind more than anything else I am going to stick the frame up on some high stands and see how stretched these hoses look, if at all.

Thanks for the link Rookie, I have also been looking at 7 line kits:
http://www.brake-lines.co.uk/hel-br...nd-cruiser-80-series-4.2td-abs-1990-1997.html
http://www.euro4x4parts.com/toyota_...95/2_brakes/J/flexible_hose_aviation_type_set

The euro parts make no mention of manufacturer so could be Chinese, Taiwan or such like though they do normally sell good kit.
I have HEL lines on my bike and they are great so will probably go for those.

Dave.

I have OME 850J springs (front) and OME 864 (rear) and I needed the extended brakelines. With heavy articulation the brake lines were really thight.

Just managed a 3 hr return trip from camping (Co. Kerry) with soft pedal (had bled all 5 points overnight and kept thinking it may be a bad master brake cylinder) and at end of trip noticed a leak near PS/FR with line towards caliper.

Not sure why as its an extended brake hose recently (last few years) replaced from OEM hose. Not been a bad boy playing over rocks or anything.

Any idea where to get extended lines. Roughtrax seem to just have standard set
Thanks
97 1fzfe

Right the problem is most people replace a three inch lift springs for example with three inch longer brake pipes, this is wrong. It is the shock absorber that limits the suspension travel and not the anti roll bar as many people think. although there is some tension. So if the shock absorbers was perhaps not matched to the springs for example a shock absorber set for a four inch lift, or perhaps perhaps different brands, then the brake pipe will often become strained. I would check overall suspension travel before ordering a new pair of pipes.

Regards

Dave

Back