Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anybody have a Rear Axle SST for an 80...?

BRE Fabrications LTD

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Does anyone on here have the SST to remove the locknut on the rear axle of an 80 series that I can rent or borrow for a weekend? Axle rebuild is looming this coming weekend and I'd rather not grind up my 54mm socket for a one off service (well every few years or so)...

Obviously I'd pay for any postage if one was offered up as well as donate beer tokens.

Cheers
Ryan

I did it without the tool. I don't think it's that crucial - even to do a proper job. I did my rear axle seals and don't remember having any problems at all. I know that you wanted a tool, but if you don't get one, it's not the end of the world.

And you know I don't bodge stuff.

Chris

Ryan, I really can't remember. All I do know is it was a simple job and it went well - and I didn't have the tool. It's not particularly tight. I think it's also more of a locking ring, rather than a lock nut.

If it had been a swine, I'd have remembered. It's an odd part though. No idea quite why it's made as it is. You have to tighten it, but then put the set screws in and there are only so many holes it lines up with. So accurate torque isn't really possible. I'm sure someone else with a better memory will jump in.

Chris

Just buy the cheapest single socket you can find & grind it down slimmer. The tools are £20 quid mind you from memory.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Do you mean this:

RearAxleSST.png

Note borrowed someone else's pic

SST 09509-25011

If so - Yes I have one!

you can borrow it - just pm me your address :thumbup:

Back