Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone changed their axle case yet?

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Bracket for the panhard rod has rotted off. My welder is dead so it's in at the local agri frabricator getting patched; the panhard bracket not the welder. Both top arm brackets onto the chassis fell off a couple of years ago, so I reckon the turrets on the axle can't be long for this world. Thinking I might pre-emptively plate those rather than them going on the autoroute in July - good idea?

I notice Milners have a genuine cases for £460. Doesn't strike me as a big job to swap. What do we think?

I'm guessing, unbolt top and bottom arms and panhard rod. Unbolt prop. Undo brake flexis. Remove handbrake cables from inside drums. Roll out the axle. I've done all this on a 90 and it was simple.

Pull half shafts and drums. Unbolt diff lock (I think that could be a pain?). Unbolt diff. Not done any of that on a LC. Is any of it likely to be awkward?

Support axle
Drop rear prop
Drain axle
Wheels off
Undo calipers and tie up out of way
Pull handbrake cable pins from back of swivel arms (allows you to pull halfshaft with disk/drum still on)

Undo (or they'll likely shear) brake line bolts and other brackets from axle casing (hard lines don't need to be undone from flexi's if you are careful) Use a slide hammer to pull the clip that holds flexi to hard line bracket, dremel a couple of cuts into the bracket so you can release the hard/flexi join from bracket without having to separate them. Make the same cuts into the bracket on the new axle casing and use new clips.

Unbolt and pull halfshafts
Undo diff actuator plugs
Remove diff (actuator comes with it) studs through actuator may be corroded/bonded so you might need to cut through the studs at the casing end.
Undo shock bottom mounts
Undo upper and lower control arms at axle
Undo panhard at axle
Remove casing

Last edited:
Bracket for the panhard rod has rotted off. My welder is dead so it's in at the local agri frabricator getting patched; the panhard bracket not the welder. Both top arm brackets onto the chassis fell off a couple of years ago, so I reckon the turrets on the axle can't be long for this world. Thinking I might pre-emptively plate those rather than them going on the autoroute in July - good idea?

I notice Milners have a genuine cases for £460. Doesn't strike me as a big job to swap. What do we think?

I'm guessing, unbolt top and bottom arms and panhard rod. Unbolt prop. Undo brake flexis. Remove handbrake cables from inside drums. Roll out the axle. I've done all this on a 90 and it was simple.

Pull half shafts and drums. Unbolt diff lock (I think that could be a pain?). Unbolt diff. Not done any of that on a LC. Is any of it likely to be awkward?
The one listed on the web is for an LC3 with REAR DIFF LOCK. Normal ones are different but Milners can supply. I asked for a quote and if I remember correctly it came in at about £600 inc VAT delivered. Don't forget you will need other nuts bolts etc. You might want to do bushes etc whilst your at it. I calculated about £100-£150 for extra bits.

I had a spring mount rusted through. Overland Cruisers cut off the front turret from an 80 axle which fits the rear of a 120. Cost was 3 hrs at £70/hr + vat. About £250.

The one listed on the web is for an LC3 with REAR DIFF LOCK. Normal ones are different but Milners can supply. I asked for a quote and if I remember correctly it came in at about £600 inc VAT delivered. Don't forget you will need other nuts bolts etc. You might want to do bushes etc whilst your at it. I calculated about £100-£150 for extra bits.

I had a spring mount rusted through. Overland Cruisers cut off the front turret from an 80 axle which fits the rear of a 120. Cost was 3 hrs at £70/hr + vat. About £250.
I forgot to add that Overland Cruisers frequently remake the Panhard Rod mountings on 120 axles.

Thanks. I have a *normal* LC3 with rear diff lock :)

Back