Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone else blocked out of the site?

Dave, ooh, you certainly have a way with words.
No need for apologies, I wasn't looking for any.
As you didn't come out and say what you meant, it IS your fault for not making it clear, and you have now confirmed what you meant. That made it very easy to confirm you meant, what I thought you meant. Get it ? Thanks for clarifying.
Just say outright what you mean in finished sentences, then I/we all know what you mean without summising.
There YOU go again, aswering as if youre running the forum, presuming what admin are doing, full of advice telling me I can leave now. We all have that option, and are able to make decisions for ourselves (myself) I do get that bit !
Thank you for reminding me in non joined up writing, makes it easy at my age, (fun)
Maybe you also have the power to delete me if I dont comply with your suggestions, or have a word ?
In the absence of any input from admin, you come across as if you are answering for them with some of your helpful statements/advice ? If you bother to read some of my posts, you will see plenty of fun in them, and I think we agree on one thing, - we both have an understanding of sarcasm.
Just off now to do some copying and pasting !

I will take Karl's sound advice in his recent last post on this. A very good constructive suggestion.

Jeez.......all done.

regards

Dave

I have been refraining from responding here but couple of things.

It's getting a bit techy between some of you guys, so play nice please...

Regarding the forum and the team running it... Well firstly this is not a well funded platform like Facebook et al. Its a team of 3/4 people, 2 mods, (Chris J and myself). We don't get paid, I do it well I have no clue why.
One admin, Crispin, who does all the other stuff. He does not make his living off this, I think with the contributions we make and the advertising he covers the costs and has some spare for rainy days.

It's not a excuse or an apology, just the reality. In today's consumer based world, we all expect the best, with quick snappy service, reality is we formed this as a bunch of enthusiastic land cruiser owners for somewhere to share knowledge and have a bit of fun.

I agree, having lived in the tech world for a number of years teaching at both college and University levels and I am inclined try and sort out issues however, I am also realistic and recognise they are not always easy to pin down and rectify, this can lead to frustration not just to the end user (the most important person) who has the option to 'walk away' for a time, but often more so to the techs trying to sort the issue.

Re your refraining from responding not just to the site issues at hand but also undoubtedly the exchanges between myself and @Tractionman, for this I thank you, it did give me a chance to explain things to him hopefully more clearly, and of course offer an apology as an attempt to diffuse the situation before you or Chris intervened. One of problems with typing on forums or emails or even a simple letter is that unless you know the person personally you cannot assume they have a grasp or understanding of the same, and the written word cannot replace a 'face to face' conversation, to this end I tried to end it with the apology thinking this would be the most sensible route to take.

Anyway I have made a simple response and I am sure @Tractionman will see that I have given up, and despite this exchange I bear no malice (why would I) and I am sure he is a great guy, again I thank you for your patience which was appreciated.

Stay safe.

Regards

Dave

It's interesting in that I have not had any issues with logging in. Yes after the upgrade I had to re-enter my credentials and been fine ever since. I'm 99% of the time on here via my phone using Chrome, but I'm sure some of those with issues access via the same way.

I'm sure people are having issues, and I can understand the frustration.

Like some, I have made my career in the IT industry, but sadly my techie days are behind me now. I just attend Zoom meetings and shovel shit from one pile to the next now days.

It really is not a lack of interest in solving these issues, limited resources and the complexity of the problem is not helping.

Windows 11 is now out and and their employees are duty bound to fuck up everything that came before it so people are forced to install something even worse .

Crispin ain't gonna be able to sort that out . Funnily enough win7 has no issues with this site because it can't be updated .

Very true Shane, Win11 will bring it's own challenges

I gave up a few posts back with the "TRUCE" post, and have no interest in carrying on, and will leave it to Crispin, as he is the only one that knows the system. Done now !

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Windows 11 is now out and and their employees are duty bound to fuck up everything that came before it so people are forced to install something even worse .

Funnily enough win7 has no issues with this site because it can't be updated .
I must say this is so true, I am now trying to be a 'tech dodger' since the surgery, I have found using older computers (WIN 7 for example) seem to tolerate changes a little better which in itself you would think to be odd? Conversely newer computers along with new browsers must be used to access certain sites banks for example, and given where I live which is some distance out of town, and not having a driving licence at present means I will need to use new hardware/software to handle finances something I am going to have issues with.

At present when problems arise which I cannot sort through a computer hospital visits, or something as simple as changing my mobile phone service supplier, I sit back and wait for a nieghbour (only six where I live :thumbup: ) or a friend to take me into town or to the city and get it sorted, sometimes I stay at a friends place for a few nights if need be. I used to try and run with the later stuff but can't be bothered these days, it all about adverts, tracking and data collection, even the solar power unit on my 80 cannot be accessed remotely from my phone or tablet unless I select 'location', this is something that did annoy me as it was not like that when I purchased it around eight years back, they send an 'update' to the software on your tech and that's it, this is all wrong in my opinion.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
I think more and more apps use updates as an excuse for a data grab. They know that in the end the data could be the most valuable thing they have.

As phones have been getting better about alerting you to location usage and required permissions for these apps, more and more people are realising. It's fine to provide optional data if you want to but we shouldn't be forced to do it.

Location permission to access your 8 year old.power controller? They're just taking the p***

The mrs wears a watch that measures her heartbeat and god knows what else so google knows whenever she takes a dump , has sex or climbs the stairs . All valuable information if you aim to sell somebody something they don't want or need .

Back