Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone good at electrics? I need to wire up loads of lights.

Matt Vee

I'm making a light bar for above the windscreen on my truck. It's going to have 5 or six spotlights on it.
When it comes to wiring, I have no clue what I am doing, I just wing it normally.
Do I wire every light with it's own circuit- relay, switch etc
Or do I wire it with one switch, one relay and a common earth?
How do I work out the specifics? what relay, what size wire etc.

Thanks in advance :)

If you want the lights to work independently then they'll each require their own +12v feed and switch, a common earth will do.
If they're all to work as one then just one switch/feed of the correct rating. Size of wiring and relay will depend on what the lights are, Halogen filament, HID or LED. Six 55watt Halogens will pull close to 30A so will need much heavier wiring than, say, LED's which could pull as low as one tenth of that.

Personally I wouldn't use anything other than LED's for this kind of thing. Lower draw and better output. Is there any reason why you are getting 6 spotlights rather than a light bar?

Hey Matt, if you give me the amp draw of each light you are putting on the bar I'll do you a wiring diagram.

LEDs are defo the way to go.

Not all LEDs are created equal though!

Hey Matt, if you give me the amp draw of each light you are putting on the bar I'll do you a wiring diagram.

LEDs are defo the way to go.

Not all LEDs are created equal though!

That would be super cool.
I don't know the amp draw yet as I have no clue what I am doing, lol.
I was looking at these:
7 - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

but thinking maybe 7" may be a bit oversized.

How does one determine which LED's are good and which are shite?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That would be super cool.
I don't know the amp draw yet as I have no clue what I am doing, lol.
I was looking at these:
7 - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

but thinking maybe 7" may be a bit oversized.

How does one determine which LED's are good and which are shite?
CREE LEDs is what you want... And kind of usual thing... Go with recommendations. Anything from iron-man is pretty good. I would flog you mine but promised it to a mate already.

Back