Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone had to weld/repair their rear axle brackets?

cbv8

Country Flag
england
Hi All,
Having bought my second Collie a 1999 VX after a selling my last one in i 2008 i now find my rear diff/axle is in a bad state ie the hanger brackets have split in two has anyone repaired these brackets and if so i would really appreciate any advice or guidance. Shayne and others have advised me but i thought i would throw this out to the rest of you for any more advice or suggestions? thanks in advance ;-)

20170426_181811.jpg

Hi All,
Having bought my second Collie a 1999 VX after a selling my last one in i 2008 i now find my rear diff/axle is in a bad state ie the hanger brackets have split in two has anyone repaired these brackets and if so i would really appreciate any advice or guidance. Shayne and others have advised me but i thought i would throw this out to the rest of you for any more advice or suggestions? thanks in advance ;-)

View attachment 124927
Was a very similar situation with my 80,all the axle mounts had completely rotted beyond repair. Don't think the axle parts are available separately I believe it's a complete tube? (someone else may know this for sure). If that's the case it's either repair what you can or Bite the bullet and get a tube. Rust is the worst!

To add another option we think the hilux surf uses the same axle .

I would have thought a s/h axle casing to be the way to go.

I bought an empty front axle casing to replace my bent one on the 80 for €350, which I was well happy to pay, it was rust free and still had OEM paint on it!

If a rear was the same price, that's 10 hours of welding/fabricating @ €35/hr, just about evens really, and no worries about the brackets being out of line or going to rust again at the welds.

£470 to £604 for a Milners new axle case (depending on options). That's a pretty good price but you have to add cost of transplanting your diff obviously, and I think you could do a lot of welding (or get a professional to do a lot of welding) for that price...

Thanks all for the advice and info but i am going to try to fabricate and weld the brackets on my axle in situ and obviously if i'm not happy with the result i may look to buying another unit :flushed:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back