Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone know about power window issues.

Richard Davies

Country Flag
australia
Recently all power windows stopped working. And as it was all of them I installed a new master switch on the drivers door. No luck all windows still fail to work.
Checked voltage to plug and only get 7volts. I would appreciate any help

Had you disconnected the battery or window switches prior to them stopping working? Do any of the switches operate the windows now?

If so you may need to reset the windows, using the switch for each one, fully open then close each window and hold the switch for a couple of seconds in the full up position

Recently all power windows stopped working. And as it was all of them I installed a new master switch on the drivers door. No luck all windows still fail to work.
Checked voltage to plug and only get 7volts. I would appreciate any help
Silly/easy stuff first, have you checked the fuse and perhaps swapped it for a known working one? Second thing is to look at the wiring between the body and drivers door. Try holding a window switch and wiggling the wiring loom/boot. If no joy, gently release the rubber gaiter from the body and pull it back. Look for kinked wires that may be broken inside. Remove the drivers side kick panel and expose the door loom connector behind it. Make sure it is fully mated.
This is generic troubleshooting, I’m not familiar with your truck.

Had you disconnected the battery or window switches prior to them stopping working? Do any of the switches operate the windows now?

If so you may need to reset the windows, using the switch for each one, fully open then close each window and hold the switch for a couple of seconds in the full up position
No switches work at all on master switch (which I just replaced). nor going to individual doors and trying them. Zero response at any window. Power had been disconnected some months ago but all was fine till just recently.

Silly/easy stuff first, have you checked the fuse and perhaps swapped it for a known working one? Second thing is to look at the wiring between the body and drivers door. Try holding a window switch and wiggling the wiring loom/boot. If no joy, gently release the rubber gaiter from the body and pull it back. Look for kinked wires that may be broken inside. Remove the drivers side kick panel and expose the door loom connector behind it. Make sure it is fully mated.
This is generic troubleshooting, I’m not familiar with your truck.
Thank you for your reply. My truck is a 105 series. not sure how but it got posted under 150 series. I have tried what you suggested in regards to fuses, but not pulling back the wiring loom between door and body. I will try that today. Tested every single fuse in vehicle and they are all fine. The odd part is I have 7 volts at the plug going into the master switch on the drivers door. yet no window works.

I wouldn't have thought 7v would be enough to operate the windows. Is there a bad/ loose earth somewhere perhaps?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I wouldn't have thought 7v would be enough to operate the windows. Is there a bad/ loose earth somewhere perhaps?
This can be checked by testing from the positive contact on the switch to vehicle body but usually loose connections show up under load and seem fine at rest.
I seem to remember there is a body control module but this will need confirmation by another member.
Have a check of the wiring first.

FSM for a 2004 says >10V, how about disconnecting loom and jumping a ground and positive direct from battery to master switch to see if the limit switches and all are working ?
Most of the electrical in the file attached is pretty much the same on my 2001, which should be the same as your 1999.

Rock

Attachments

• Body Electrical.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 117
Found this, looks like the jumper plan is formalised.

Attachments

• Copy of Inspection.pdf
    156.5 KB · Views: 65
Useful uploads there. :thumbup: Main relay looks a possible suspect and certainly running a + and/or - would prove the Windows working but I can’t imagine all 4 would fail.

Have you made sure the windows lock switch isn't buggered ... Happened to me on my Isuzu, Windows wouldn't work Up or down .. Turned out to be the windows lock, Relay/switch thing that when it fails it goes into Lock mode.. Dont know if its more sophisticated on a Toyota, But its related to occupants/ child safety so could just Shut down.. Long Long Shot i know ....

FSM for a 2004 says >10V, how about disconnecting loom and jumping a ground and positive direct from battery to master switch to see if the limit switches and all are working ?
Most of the electrical in the file attached is pretty much the same on my 2001, which should be the same as your 1999.

Rock
Thank you for that information. Very much appreciated. I will try and decipher it and test the windows that way. Cheers

Back