Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone know about the Yaris?

Garage
I realise this isn't the place to ask but you never know, someone might be able to help.

I've got a Yaris 1.3 (2000) which develops an issue where the symptoms are

lack of power
rough idle
misfire?

No engine lights are on and it drives fine when it isn't doing it. It doesn't do it all the time, it only seems to do it when it has been running for a good 10-20 minutes. Fuel economy also drops right down and it smells a bit like it is running very rich when the misfire happens.

I don't think it's plugs or HT leads as it would do it all the time? Also I can't see it being an air mass meter as it doesn't feel like that, it still revs fine but takes an ice age to get there. I realise the fact that it's a 1300cc engine will make it slow but it is slower than it should be.

Hopefully one of you chaps and give me an idea? I don't really want to sign up to a Yaris forum as they are a bit different to this place.

Think along the lines of...

Bought mah new Yaris!!11!!!!!!!! put sum propa sik wheelz on it! - They don't seem to speak English on there.

Try running it without the fuel cap on. Could be that a vacuum is being created in the fuel tank causing fuel starvation. If that is ok, the breather is blocked.

Hi James,

We (SWMBO really) have a '01 1.3 Yaris - so probably near identical. We did experience an issue similar, though perhaps not exactly the same as yours; the car would occasionally misfire and revs would not rise beyond 2k rpm - so you'd sort of kangaroo down the road for a few yards before it seemed to clear and everything went back to normal. Only seemed to happen when the engine was warm - never seemed happened whilst the engine was cold.

Anyway, it turned out to be the lambda/oxygen sensor. Replaced this and the car has been no trouble since.

HTH.

Ah it might be that then. I think I'll try the 2 cheapest options first.
Fuel cap test followed by replacing the spark plugs. Then I'll find someone with a code reader who can tell me what the problem is.

I've actually never driven a Yaris before, I actually quite like it. Bloody good on fuel; I got 42mpg on the way to work this morning and it's a petrol! I'm rather impressed with it. Hopefully I'll sell it easily enough and I'll be even happier!

Anyone fancy a nice Yaris....?

James Rothwell said:
I've actually never driven a Yaris before, I actually quite like it........ Bloody good on fuel; I got 42mpg on the way to work this morning and it's a petrol!.......

I occasionally take the Yaris out for a spin, say once a week or so to give it an "Italian tune-up"....its the complete opposite from the Colorado; surprisingly nippy and you find yourself going for every gap in the traffic .......OK, that just maybe me! :oops: ;) You can use the performance without keeping one eye on the fuel gauge!

We have had ours for over 6 years now and it consistently gives 44-46mpg regardless of how its driven, which is 90% around town/urban.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I tried the fuel cap thing and it didn't make a difference. Last night it sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders but this morning absolutely fine, firing on all 4 and running perfectly all the way to work (25 mins). Very odd. I had best get it looked at and fixed don't want it misfiring when someone comes to test drive it.

Sounds very similar to the problem we had.......an occasional misfire and the engine wouldn't rev, almost as if the accelerator pedal wasn't working, then a few seconds later all would be well again.

There should also be sensors on the cam and the crank that will give inputs to the engine ecu but if these are giving problems then the engine light on the dash should come on or a fault code reader should see it. Might be worth checking the connectors on them though.

Lambda Sensor would be my bet

My guess it's ok from cold & ok under full load above 4-5k rpm?

Back