Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone running Jet Fuel in their diesel?

80 Dan

Hey Guys,

I have managed to source a constant supply of clean Jet A fuel. Friend of mine is dropping off a 200 litre drum at my house this weekend.

Ive read a few things online about the lack of lubricant in Jet fuel and that it needs a lubricant added like engine oil or biodiesel to not cause any premature wear on the injectors or injector pump.
Ive also read that the sulpher content is higher and so oil changes need to be more frequent

The guy I'm getting it from mixes it with oil and has been running it year round for 70,000+ miles with no problems, but he is driving an old Mercedes not a Landcruiser

Anyone on here running Jet fuel in their Landcruiser?

Edit: I have a 1996 1HDFT 24v diesel

Last edited:
Jet fuel... WTF?! Lol

Are you drag racing your 80?

Seriously though, is this actually a viable option?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey Guys,

I have managed to source a constant supply of clean Jet A fuel. Friend of mine is dropping off a 200 litre drum at my house this weekend.

Ive read a few things online about the lack of lubricant in Jet fuel and that it needs a lubricant added like engine oil or biodiesel to not cause any premature wear on the injectors or injector pump.
Ive also read that the sulpher content is higher and so oil changes need to be more frequent

The guy I'm getting it from mixes it with oil and has been running it year round for 70,000+ miles with no problems, but he is driving an old Mercedes not a Landcruiser

Anyone on here running Jet fuel in their Landcruiser?

I could do some tests with a mate of mine to asses how much bio you'd need to cut it and get a similar viscosity as derv. Love to give it a go, see how the performance compares.

Always up for a play :)

Please be careful with jet fuel the stuff is nothing short of explosive . We've all used a little diesel to get a fire going and even petrol with a little more caution but DON'T even think of doing it with jet fuel !

Jet fuel is a fancy word for kerosene or paraffin. In fact if you look in the instruction manual that comes with a paraffin heater under the approved fuels section, Jet A is normally listed as an approved fuel.

Diesel, home hearing oil, paraffin, jet fuel, kerosene are all along the same viscosity and are very close together in the refining process.

The big difference being the lubricity of the fuel.
As I understand it, it burns a little hotter and so without proper lubrication added it can cause premature wear of those expensive parts!

I know of guys running black diesel (filtered used engine oil) as well as automatic transmission fluid in Diesel engines. Jet fuel is definitely a viable alternative to pump diesel however it's more expensive than pump diesel so it's not even considered.

"Real trucks don't have spark plugs"!!

We run a 50:50 diesel/JetA1 mix sometimes in our hardtop and generator with nothing else added. To run pure Jet though you would want to add something to make up for the lack of lubrication as you say. Not sure why you would want to use Jet though unless you can get it cheaper than diesel...? Can you?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jet fuel is a fancy word for kerosene or paraffin. In fact if you look in the instruction manual that comes with a paraffin heater under the approved fuels section, Jet A is normally listed as an approved fuel.

Diesel, home hearing oil, paraffin, jet fuel, kerosene are all along the same viscosity and are very close together in the refining process.

The big difference being the lubricity of the fuel.
As I understand it, it burns a little hotter and so without proper lubrication added it can cause premature wear of those expensive parts!

I know of guys running black diesel (filtered used engine oil) as well as automatic transmission fluid in Diesel engines. Jet fuel is definitely a viable alternative to pump diesel however it's more expensive than pump diesel so it's not even considered.

"Real trucks don't have spark plugs"!!

Oh right the stuff i had was aquired from an airport and to say it burns a little hotter is a HUGE understatement . I threw an inch of it in a little lucozade bottle with the cap on into a bonfire as a little test to see how potent it was . The heat flash that hit me maybe 30ft away was enough to convince me it wasn't safe to be left in the shed (which was something of an open house to the whole village) so i poured it away .

Hey Shayne, are you sure the airport guy didn't give you 100LL? Otherwise known as 100 octane gasoline? Piston airplanes use this and yes it's HIGHLY flammable. Normally it has a colour to it - Over here it's Blue. Where as jet fuel is clear.

Mark, I've actually sourced a FREE supply! When the big jet aircraft come in to get their fuel systems worked on the mechanics have to drain the fuel tanks. The fuel can't be out back in the airplane as its a liability issue. Normally it would be sent to a recycling facility, but he just keeps it and uses it in his vehicles. They even run the diesel airport trucks off it when they are short on diesel fuel

Can't say for sure what it was , my mate was chief fireman there and i was a bike nutter so i guess he thought i'd like some high octane stuff . I can't realy recall the colour but i'm thinking either clear or maybe a slight pink tint ? To long ago to remember .

My Uncles used to run jet fuel in their long distance insterstate trucks back in Australia. They always used to add oil in but I don't know at what mix or type. Next time I speak to him i'll ask.

Two stroke oil? Would be enough to up the lubricity and protect the pump I'd have thought

Majic79 ... I think it was. but didn't wan't to mention it in case I was horribly wrong!

Thing is, aero is a bit of a hobby with me and last year I was looking into experimental aircraft, a lot of new aero-piston engines are coming out, designed to run on Jet-A or Jet-A1 as it's more readily available than Super-leaded (112 octane petrol!) and they're running fairly conventional pumps. I'm pretty sure it has sufficient lubricity for most types of high pressure pump, especial Pumpe-Deuse type VAG group pumps, not sure about the rest, might have a word with one of our fuel engineers (I work for a company making gas turbines) and see what they say

Found some figures, Jet-A has roughly half the viscosity of DERV, however it's also just inside the low end of DERV's minimum spec (Pump diesel has a marginally higher viscosity) but is allowed to go thinner than the allowed spec for diesel. The other major difference is sulfur content - Jet-A spec allows up to 3000ppm sulfur, a lot more than regular diesel. Acid rain anyone?

So it'll work, but you'll wear stuff out (much like running on kerosene) unless there's a pump-spec that says it's OK for that type of fuel. Ideally the spec of liquid that the pump can handle should specify the min/max viscosity, I'd have thought you'd be safe for most cases.

Other people have said about adding two stroke oil in ~1:100 ratio (2 pints into 30-gallons)

If it were me, I'd run it as is and see how it goes. If you're concerned about the fuel pump, add the oil (that's the only part that's going to take serious wear from it)

the TAX man might have something to say about running with jet fuel on the road, same as running with red diesel and not paying duty

the TAX man might have something to say about running with jet fuel on the road, same as running with red diesel and not paying duty

I nearly mentioned it, but I'm assuming the OP is recyling and thereby saving the environment and it falls in the 2000ltr per year personal tax free scheme.....

Majic, i'm with you! I'm happy to help recycling as well ono this :whistle:

Majic, i'm with you! I'm happy to help recycling as well ono this :whistle:

There's also the question of "does the tax man tax everyone at 38,000ft? or only when they're over the UK?"

On a serious note, what's the assumption that the OP is even in the UK? Doesn't say so that I can see, so the tax man can swivel as far as I'm concerned :D

On a serious note, what's the assumption that the OP is even in the UK?

Sounds more like an aussie style build up so definitely a long way for HMRC to go! Anyway, i'm sure the fuel is only being used on farm land for farming purposes "Graeme BadBoy Gturbo pushing 22psi boost" Sounds like his truck could pull a pretty large plough! :D

You guys are a hoot! I actually laughed out loud!!

Im actually a home grown Brit, born in London raised in Norfolk! Living and working in the US for the last 10 years as a charter pilot for a company in Tennessee.

Didnt want to put "USA" under my location as we all (inc myself), have our opinions of the Yanks! :teasing-nutkick:

Dont want to offend anyone on here that might be from the US, just saying Im a proud Brit is all

After realising the sad fact that the Landcruiser's were never offered over here in a diesel, I set out on a mission (well obsession really!), to build what you guys have readily available for peanuts in comparison to what I have invested!!! Im so jealous!
I cant bring myself to own an American car - I get American made rental cars all the time for work, and havent driven one yet I actually liked enough to buy.

Graeme (iH8mud member gbentink) in Aus does some great work modifying the Toyota CT26 turbo to give much more grunt over a larger rev range. Best mod yet, highly recommend it. Pulls light a freight train!!

But back to the topic, Uncle Sam really doesnt give a crap what I burn. They may say they do, but my "MOT" consists of a yearly emissions test, where all they do is put a probe in the exhaust to see what level of gases are coming out. So once a year I head down to the testing station with a tank of bio, or mixed diesel with veg oil and it passes with flying colours every time!!
In some counties around here all they do is an opacity reading - aka they shine a light through the exhaust smoke to see how dark it is!! Its a joke.
Hell I dont even run a cat, just a 3" straight through exhaust!

So when they tell us the reason you cant import anything that is newer than 25 years old is because of emissions, I just roll my eyes, and throw up in my mouth a little.

Back