Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone seen or know this 80?

I've lost count of how many times we have posted this philosophy but:

If it looks like an utter gem, it's probably pretty good.
If it looks pretty good, it probably needs some work.
If it looks like it needs some work, it's probably a shed
If it looks like a shed, why TF are you wasting you time even considering it?

Truth is that even at rule one, the 'probably' is still tenuous. I've been to see gems that were sheds. If it looks like that in the shocking photos then don't be disappointed when you see it. I have never come across the reverse rule where one that looked shocking turned out to be a minter. If I lived two streets from that one I might go an look for the experience. But it if cost me more than a bus ride, I'd be thinking twice.

But. And it's a huge but. Even a pretty shocking 80 with a bit of servicing and a can of oil in the boot would probably get you half way round the World. It's a real paradox.

The reality is that the camera does lie and never in our favour. This truck is not going to turn out to be a hidden gem

I do like the pictures taken in the dark!!!

Well I can say I bought one that looked like a shed in the pictures that was MECHANICALLY sound at very small money and I'd take that any day.You won't find a perfect one for reasonable money so it is what you make it!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For me the mechanicals are the bit I'd compromise on. I can fix all that stuff. What I can't really tackle is body work and rotten undersides. I've seen some that were lovely up top, ran well, but underneath you could tear pieces off with your hands. There was the infamous perfect blue one with all the OME, Warn etc etc that had a battered in roof and one wing longer than the other! But that chassis, oh boy, it was like factory. Getting that balance (other than finding a perfect one) is hard work. I was once told when I started lookiing for an 80, buy the first good one that you see. I'd say that is still sound advice. We looked at quite a few and were right to walk away from them. When I went to look at my latest one, no it wasn't 100% what I wanted - colour, spec etc but those words came back to me - buy the first good one that you see. From that point the deal was inevitable. There aren't enough in circulation to be able to say what you want any more. You just have to find a good one. ANY good one.

Back