Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ARB lockers

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
my lockers weren't working when i got the car a coupla years ago,fixed 'em, all good til now

thinking about some ARB lockers,heard they're strong

just wondering about any reliability issues?

cheers

It all depends who you speak to. I had one andit was great but other people had them and they failed. The simple fact is that it really matters on how well they're installed I think. Some diffs have very little room inside to route the air line and it's easy to snick it on the ring gear. In terms of strength, the carrier is much stronger and has less flex. Maybe they have improved the air line set up. I don't know. But certainly I wouldn't doubt the big metal bits.

Now I'm no expert at all, but a well known self proclaimed Cruiser expert told me that most LC diff problem seen to occur if the have air lockers fitted

It all depends who you speak to. I had one andit was great but other people had them and they failed. The simple fact is that it really matters on how well they're installed I think. Some diffs have very little room inside to route the air line and it's easy to snick it on the ring gear. In terms of strength, the carrier is much stronger and has less flex. Maybe they have improved the air line set up. I don't know. But certainly I wouldn't doubt the big metal bits.

thanks Chris

if i decide to fix them again could i get new solenoids from somewhere?

or decent second-hand ones?

cheers

If your diffs are all good and quiet but you want your lockers at 100% then I'd just bite the bullet and for the price of one ARB in a box, I'd fit two new locker motors. You'd be set for years then with no reliability issues. Remember that fitting ARBs means both diffs out on the bench with complete disassembly.

I did a lot of research before buying a rear ARB diff locker for my 105 and it seems that the most common cause of failure of these lockers is faulty installation, which is why it is still sat in its box while I try to figure out who is the best and most experienced person in the country to fit it!

To put it another way, if you look at any other locker, both air or electrically operated, there will be people who say its great and people who say its shit and breaks. It comes down to individuals experience.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Local to you Nick, I'd say Matt Savage at Two Dales.

I had an ARB in the back of my LR90 never had a problem with the diff just had to replace the compressor once.

If your diffs are all good and quiet but you want your lockers at 100% then I'd just bite the bullet and for the price of one ARB in a box, I'd fit two new locker motors. You'd be set for years then with no reliability issues. Remember that fitting ARBs means both diffs out on the bench with complete disassembly.

my diffs are good Chris,who sells 'new locker motors' in the UK?

cheers

Karl, Chapel gate, Milners or Roughtrax all keep them.

Back