Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

arduino & touchslide

I can't find the 'Order Yours Here' page / link???

:icon-biggrin:

Thanks looks pretty awesome stuff, Jon - impressive as always! :clap:

I can't find the 'Order Yours Here' page / link???

:icon-biggrin:

You as well :icon-biggrin: It has to be one of the top "I want one" bits of kit. Thanks for posting it all up Jon, it is really interesting seeing it continually develop :thumbup:

the display changed a bit more to fit everything on. I will add other layouts to cycle through depending how much needs to be squeezed onto the screen.

IMAG1545.jpg

T'ing into the tacho feed worked as well so the oil pressure only alarms if the engine is running now. I will add an option to turn that on / off in the UI in case RPM sensing can't be connected for some reason.

:think: getting one is fairly easy, buy the Arduino Mega 256 and touchslide, get some instructions off me on how to program it or send to me and throw some interface money my way and then sit back and be patient while I make it because it's not a quick process.

I want one, and I still haven't worked out what it is or why I clearly need it. As long as it comes on the end of a 13 amp plug, I'm confident I can install it myself.

Just need a cruiser to put it in now.

PS available in brushed aluminium finish? Walnut perhaps?

you can have one in whatever finish you can make Chris :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds like a milling challenge Jon

Chris

yep, if I still had a milling machine I'd have given it a go. Folding some thin aluminium works as well.

I'm impressed with your planning, execution and revisions. Clean, well thought-out and well made. Simple and clean. I may throw away my uno based fuel tank gauge if I could add it to yours in place of the Auto Trans temp. readout.

How's the tire pressure monitoring portion progressing?

This project inspired me to scour the net for info about how to use an Arduino with TPMS, and I really couldn't find any specifics regarding the communication between the sensors and the TMPS module.

I looked at some of the aftermarket systems and while they looked good, I don't need multiple screens (this and TPMS) and if I could get TMPS on this, it would work great and I could monitor the spare or spares as well, none of the aftermarket ones I saw could monitor pressure in a spare tire.

What kind of sensors are you using?
The ones that screw on like valve stem caps, or the ones that replace the entire valve stem and have a small box inside the tire?
Have ordered some more TPMS kit to experiment with but a different brand this time that uses flexible rubber valves fitted like normal ones instead of the rigid bolt in jobs on the last set.
Was this change due to the valve stem style or the difficulty of reading the sensor data of the first brand you bought?

Thanks again for all your hard work, I look forward to buying some kit from you.
Rollinns

I haven't done anything with the TPMS yet, too busy tinkering with bits of metal and my welder :lol: but I bought one with replacement valve stems and a small box inside the tyre, the screw on ones looking a bit vulnerable but more convenient ... There have been some changes I haven't got round to posting like it now works with more readily available screens in a couple of different sizes and I'm using commercially manufactured double sided PCB's instead of home produced ones. Connecting my sub tank fuel gauge to this device is on my todo list as well. Eventually I will post a proper update but for now my welder and scrap bin are calling

The last time I tried making PCB's to knock up a couple of these for someone I had a lot of problems with toner transfer so I ended up biting the bullet and having them professionally manufactured. That does bring the advantages of a double sided and thicker board that I don't have to spend time making but of course it costs more and I still have to populate it.

v9boardana.jpg

There were also some supply problems with the Touchslide screens that meant they were unobtainable from the usual supplier and very expensive elsewhere so I ported the code to support several of the 4D Systems 'Picaso' LCD screens as well as the old Touchslides I'm still using.

This gets more and more impressive all the time :)

It's not essential but I find it reassuring when we're at virtually constant full throttle for 15-20 minutes at a time on some continental motorways in high ambient temps to see that all the readings are acceptable and not just be relying on the OEM disinformation!

Looks pretty cool! Would any of the software / freeware allow you to access MPG figures, look at error codes etc. My 100 has OBD or similar that displays on the the sat nav screen when certain pins are bridged out. Problem is that it's all in Japanese (odd for a UK spec car).

What you have is similar to OBD but not the same and afaik no documentation for it in the public domain.

Good to hear they are still compatible with the old touchslides, the 4D Picaso systems look neat but If I ever cracked the screen, a replacement would be costly.

Where can I order one of your boards?
Would some of the spare pins be able to be configured to work for TPMS?

via pm or email is the only way you can order one, there's no buy it now button :lol: The plan is to eventually have it support TPMS and there is spare capacity to handle that but exactly how it integrates will depend on whatever solution I come up with. The TPMS system I installed on my 80 as a test bed is giving poor accuracy and occasional false alerts so I may have to switch to different sensor hardware before I can make any progress on that.

Jon have you played with the idea of having temp sensors on diffs, brakes, hubs etc? Could be very useful to pick up on failing wheel bearings, brake fade warning etc

I envision Landcruisers roaming the countryside festooned with more datalogging gear than a F1 car, and owners feverishly staring at their screens, gripped with paranoia. :lol:

Last edited:
Jon have you played with the idea of having temp sensors on diffs, brakes, hubs etc? Could be very useful to pick up on failing wheel bearings, brake fade warning etc
I wouldn't want to take it that far myself but there are a lot of spare inputs for anyone who wants to go mad :lol:

Back