Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

are diesels dead

tolley

Country Flag
england
Are diesels dead , with Bristol being the first to ban all diesels from there town where will be next , friend of mine has a car sales business he hasn't sold a diesel car for 5 months and some are very good deals .
I think Bristol if they go ahead with this companies will move out the town like most of the retail parks now and the town will become even deader .

Where did you read that? Nothing I have seen come out confirms that they are going to ban

Local bbc news last night ,first in the country to do ,they been under pressure for a while as they were rate most polluted town not who by.

I am in the same situation, I live in Brussels and Euro IV diesels will be banned from the city in 2021. That means I will be either forced to sell my j120 euro 4 or move. I would prefer to move, I don't like Brussels much anyway.
I have a friend who is trying to sell his LR Discovery 5 years old 60k km on it for 6 months now, not even 1 call ..
Also the taxes become higher and higher, atm I pay arround 1400 euro / year road tax plus insurance.
Euro 1 and 2 are already banned. Petrol Euro 3 even will have no issue, they can enter the city indefinitely
So my next truck will probably be a petrol pick up , 140 euro / year tax even if it is a V8, maybe a Tacoma if I find any in Europe ( very rare ) or another US truck.
I hate investing time, mods and passion to have it banned by some green nutters that won't solve shit since US and China will not stop CO2 emissions any time soon and what ever we do more in Europe will count for nothing, at great cost. EU emissions per capita are already the lowest in the world on average for a developed region.
I am all for green stuff, I have a hybrid toyota as a daily driver but this is too much.
There are other ways to do it,, you can increase over time the diesel fuel price and make petrol cheaper to encorage people to switch, tax incentives.. but banns.. it is to much.

It's only a proposal as stated above nothing definite yet. Watching this closely as we have 3 diesel vehicles and I travel through town in my d3 for work when in Bristol. The trains are terrible to use here and going on the motorway to get off at gordano junction is a flipping nightmare

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
it is how it started in brusseles as well.. - proposal.. Now it is enforced already.

Yeah they have been talking for ages about it and nothing so far has been decided. Councils hey.

It’ll be interesting to see if Bristol goes the same way as Bath where the council had to scrap their plans for a charge on private cars.

Not dead but dying. Its a certainty, just the timescale that no one is sure of, especially in light of today's government announcement of a zero net carbon emissions target by 2050. Some 'experts' say it is possible and others say impossible but it won't stop anti pollution measures being brought in and as we all know the motorist is an easy target. I don't think it's even worth while off loading your diesel for a petrol. Zero emissions means all electric vehicles with the massive infrastructure that will require and converting every existing property to a clean heating solution, possibly hydrogen. They're touting government grants for this and scrappage schemes for that and a potential cost of £1 trillion has been mentioned, so where's that coming from then. Good old Mr Taxpayer no doubt.

Brussels sounds mad @leeloo. Go on - get a V8 Tundra and show those ‘green nutters’. £140 a year tax is a bargain anywhere in Europe.

Have any of these measures improved the perennial traffic jam in the city centre?

And when you consider our £580 road tax that doesn't sound bad to other EU countries when some stuff is over 1000 euros per year

There’s fuck all point in screwing the U.K. population chasing some bullshit euro emissions standard when all we are doing is shipping out waste to developing countries to be burned or landfilled. We need to be helping other countries sort out their problems and stop putting ours into them.
Did anyone watch the programs about plastic, sobering and depressing. Diesel cars are the least of the worlds problems, but the easiest to attack for lazy politicians and policy makers while hiding the real issues.

Last edited:
This is part of a much bigger picture. I think this century will see the worlds civilization decline as energy and resources fail to satisfy an exploding population. We have all worshiped energy and it's products so what is the next God going to be? Decline of materialism is inevitable and it's going to be progressive until perhaps it settles down to some level we had hundreds of years ago.

If everyone stopped eating dead animals the world would be a cleaner place.

Ain't Bristol the place they made it compulsory all children must be taught to have gender issues hence child abuse is a legal requirement ?

And if we weren't supposed to eat animals then they wouldn't be made out of food would they .

There are some good deals on Petrol 4x4s, quite a few petrol 80 series on ebay, And im sometimes tempted.. But i rest in the Knowledge that the Diesel Ban wont happen in my life time... So im content with our 3 Diesel family (For now)...Brexit and the Plastics debate is drawing the Politicians gaze elsewhere... (For now)

This is part of a much bigger picture. I think this century will see the worlds civilization decline as energy and resources fail to satisfy an exploding population. We have all worshiped energy and it's products so what is the next God going to be? Decline of materialism is inevitable and it's going to be progressive until perhaps it settles down to some level we had hundreds of years ago.

Agreed, but a lot of the worlds ever growing population are already living at a low level of opportunity or wealth and the desire (who are we to deny them this) to achieve a better standard of living is strong, with growth and expansion seen as the way of achieving this. Not a cheering thought, but unless humans as a species can accept global cooperation to achieve some sort of levelling (which seems rather optimistic), in order for the world population to stabilise or decline at a needed rate, then disease, warfare or enforced sterilisation seem to be the only likely options for this to happen. Make mine a double.....

Back