Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Assistance required please!

Well done, bet the reverse back out was fun, I haven't done it that way round :lol:

Jon Wildsmith said:
bet the reverse back out was fun

Oh yes - Water Lane backwards, at night, in the rain is certainly an experience.

He did really well to get as far down it as he did. He was not stuck where I thought he would be. He made it past the cross axle bit and got stuck on a washed out step. Size wise I would say it was bigger than the Lincomb rock step but with the added fun of big tree roots.

I tried a single line pull initially but stalled the winch, then tried a double line pull but just winched my car to him. Spent some time gathering rocks to chock the wheels, they just slid. Ended up strapping my car to a big tree at the side of the track. Once the back end had slid round a bit and gone up the bank everything came good and he came out.

Took about an hour to get him out and then a further hour to reverse both cars out.

Well done everybody, I hope getting stuck doesn't put him off to much

Well done Ian, you really are a Hero. :cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes it was a bit reminiscent of the G4 challenge last night, pitch black, pouring rain, about 6 inches of water and liquid mud cascading down the lane!

Never seen a 90 quite that stuck before, to be winching a fully locked monster 80 like Ian's toward you instead of moving the stranded vehicle was unusual! Sorry we didn't take many pictures but conditions were pretty nasty and we all just wanted to get out of there, not least Paddy, Claire and myself who had been at this for approaching 24 hours!

A big thanks for the response last night, legendary is the word. Who needs 4x4 assistance groups when you have this forum! In fact we could almost create our own :D

Especially big thanks to Ian and Nicky and their monster of an 80, without whom the vehicle would no doubt still be stranded as i was completely out of ideas at this point. Paddy has promised that he's buying the beers at his first Lincomb Farm event after a rather bittersweet introduction to offroading!

Only one photo was taken last night, and it was snapped by Paddy on his phone just as a resounding cheer had gone up on finally freeing the 90. It's not great quality but goes some way to illustrating the conditions out there last night!

29032010215000.jpg

As for my attempt to get to him, well, without a winch and not prepared to try and recover in reverse, particularly a vehicle as stuck as that one, i tried to reverse down to him the first night. This is some of the damage i sustained:

Image0146.jpg

Image0143.jpg

Image0144.jpg

Image0145.jpg

About half a mile in i abandoned the attempt and we tried other methods. As it turned out, even if i had manged to reach him, i wouldn't have been able to do it as Ian's 12000lb hydraulic winch was stalling out, that's how stuck we are talking!

As for Paddy, he has promised never to go out on his own again, particularly as a newbie on road tyres and if he does it's a long walk home for him!

as you say, Legendary response :cool:
(not an invitation for all to go get stuck mind you! :lol: :lol: )

Tommo&Claire said:
Paddy has promised that he's buying the beers at his first Lincomb Farm event after a rather bittersweet introduction to offroading!
That's allot of beer to cover the damage :mrgreen:

A truly epic tale, :o and a lesson to be learned for those of us who don't know already NEVER go off-road on your own! :oops:

Cossack said:
A truly epic tale, :o and a lesson to be learned for those of us who don't know already NEVER go off-road on your own! :oops:

I seem to remember me n Tommo having this conversation with Paddy when he got the truck.

Well done Ian, Tommo phoned me so many times but I couldn't get down there and he told me an 80 wouldn't fit so bravo to you and your monster.

When I first met Ian and Toby on an ELCO day on the plain and they were stuck for something to do in the afternoon so I took them up that lane :lol: They're still friends with me though :mrgreen:

If you do go out on your own just make sure you have the equipment and knowledge to get yourself out of trouble and a back up plan ;) It can be much more fun being out on your own so I wouldn't tell people never do it.

I think in this case Jon that never is a subjective word.

It's okay for you and Ian etc with the super trucks and all the gear but Paddy is brand new to the scene and needs , shall we say, a bit of tutoring first.
Tommo has been doing this for over a year now but I still wouldn't suggest he is ready to go it alone unless like salisbury Plain he knows the lay of the land well.

I'd stick to never for the newbies and i'm sure most people can figure out for themselves when they have enough knowlege and gear to try it alone.

Happy to help out with this. I normally pay to go on pay and play days to do this sort of thing!

As those of you who have seen my car will know I'm not that worried about a little bit of panel damage! I am in the lucky position that it is a toy and not my daily driver.

Cheers

Ian

Tommo, now you know what you need on the front of your 90 don't you? I did offer. Looks like you need a nice black steel rear bumper too. Now if I break Lil Blue, I might just have one of those for sale too!

Hey, I never miss an opportunity! I have no shame.

Chris

As for going it alone, I have been off-roading for about 3/4 yrs now :geek: and haven't yet been out on my own. At P&P sites I've not yet been stuck where I've either not been able to recover myself or had a mate nearby to give me a tug, ;) but I don’t think I’ve got the confidence to go solo yet. I wouldn't like to get in a situation like this recent one, so for now anyway I’ll only go with company. :)

Well done guys, great effort. So out of interest did anyone invie Paddy to this forum? :geek:

Back