Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Aug 2013 Italy Road Trip

warrenpfo

The Indefinite Leave to Remain has arrived, life can now carry on and I am now able to travel after 15 months of being grounded on this island. The plan is a road trip to Italy to catch up with my parents for two weeks in August and to give the cruiser her first proper "leg stretch".

I though it best to start a thread for the trip as there will be many questions and photos to come so why not keep it all in one place.

The first of those questions is the requirement for front light "adjusters" and a GB sticker. We plan on doing a few trips into Europe and so wondered if the light beam adjusters can be re used or if they are throw away items once used. Should i just get the cheapest i can find or can anyone recommend a good place to pickup a set.

Last edited:
i have used RING beam adjuster stickers - they are throw away and a pain to remove, you need a solvent to remove the glue residue
so i will be interested if people have other better options

dont forget a warning triangle, hi-viz vests for all occupants, spare light bulb kit, fire extinguisher, for france at least 2x disposable breathalyzers

heading to France and Italy in 3 weeks time :icon-cool:

AA - Compulsory equipment list

Attachments

• compulsory_equipment_1.pdf
    13.4 KB · Views: 170
  • compulsory_equipment_2.pdf
    15.2 KB · Views: 136
  • compulsory_equipment_3.pdf
    12.6 KB · Views: 127
IIRC You don't need a GB sticker if you have the EU number plates with the Euro symbol on them.

Where are you heading? I'm driving to Pisa late July / August.
As for driving, you don't need a GP sticker if you have a GB number plate and in France, you need a hi-vi and fire extinguisher in the car, within reach (not boot). This only really counts if you get stopped by a grumpy cop (or the car is on fire).

As for the light stickers, I slapped mine on in the middle of a snow storm and obviously got it wrong - every on-come car and truck got upset with me and in turn, blinded me back. It's worth getting it right with them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the list of things required guys im on the case and will start to buy the bits. I don't have the EU number plates so will get a set of stickers along with some light beam stickers too and all the other bits.

Crispin

The plan is catch the ferry on the 7th or 8th of August and make our way down to just outside of Pisa but more towards Florence over the course of 2 or 3 days and meet my folks down that way for a week.

We will then head up to the lakes for the second week after which making our way back to catch a ferry on the 26th to return to the UK.

We're also in Italy in August... We leave on the 3rd August and get back on the 25th. Plan to head over the alps to the lakes and then head south chasing the sun.

There'll be a lot of RHD cruisers down that way in August! I'll be in Frejus, Monaco, and Turin on a loop from 13th to 24th of August. Make sure you have those basics. Hi-vis, extinguisher, warning triangle, beam benders and the like. It's all precautionary. I have driven through France,Belgium Germany Italy Netherlands, Italy etc, and never had so much as a word with a Eurocop. But still carry the stuff.. It's easier. And most of it is good to have anyway. Especially the extinguisher.

I see its illegal to use any device that alerts you to speed cameras etc. What am i supposed to do if my satnav does it automatically?

I see its illegal to use any device that alerts you to speed cameras etc. What am i supposed to do if my satnav does it automatically?
Yup, the EU spec 150 has that feature turned off because of that bloody law.

If stopped, I doubt a cop will enquire about it.

Have Fun. For me driving abroad is better than driving in Good Ole England. Warren If you can make it three days to get to Italy, you will enjoy it a lot more, there are so many places on the way that you will want to stop and have a look.

I also used the Ring stick on beam deflectors and ive still got to take them off yet. Fill up with diesel before getting into Italy, I paid 1.61 euros per litre but some fuel stations where 1.81. In Austria is was mostly around 1.37.

+1 more for Italy in August :icon-cool: Just turn satnag speed alerts off in France but better would be to remove them from the device for France. We'll brim both tanks in southern France and get most of our Italian motoring done on that.

Its a hi-viz for each passenger, and must be in car, not boot.

I got stopped 3 times in Portugal (one fine of 48euros for not being local, and two to check the boot - I put this down to us having reflective rear windows and they think we are hiding something), and once at a roadblock about 100metre into Spain from Portugal, no real hassle there as they were stopping all larger-than-car size vehicles. At no time were they interested in the stuff you have to carry, I was a bit disappointed, I even had two triangles as required in Spain !

The biggest problem i am yet to solve is how the hell we are going to get all the gear in the car.

On the way down to Italy its me the wife our daughter in a car seat and the mother-in-law...no problem. When we get to Italy we will be collecting my parent who will then join us down there and drive back with us to the UK.

That gives us half the boot for gear and a bit of space in front of the car seat on the floor. I only need to find more space for when we move from weeks one accommodation to week twos accommodation and then on the trip home. Everyone knows to pack light but i just don't see there being enough space for all the gear in the boot so the options as far as i see it are:

1. A trailer

camper-trailer-4wd-combo-300x225.jpg
2. Rook box
PICT0291.jpg

3. Thule backup box 900

TU900_01G.jpg
4. Receiver hitch basket and waterproof bag.

41UGc45yApL.jpg

The trailer is a last resort, the roof box eats into fuel consumption and costs more on the ferry, the thule backup 900 can only take 45kg in total and can be had for about £250 if you can find one, so the receiver hitch gets my vote but just thought it was worth asking what others thought.

If you agree the hitch basket is the way to go i need to work out the best way to do things as i either need to make one, buy one or commission one. :whistle:

Last edited:
For me the roof box wins. I Have a lockable Thule box and roof bars you can borrow if you want.

+1 for the roof box.

I have a half width/full length Halfords box, which we tend to put all our large but light stuff when we go on holiday. I bought the half width box, so you still have enough room to mount a bike or two, if needed.

I'd say go witht he roof box. Readily available and the stuff is packed out of sight and out of reach. Apart form the hassle of getting it made, you'd have to think of how to make sure the stuff doesnt walk from the hitch basket when you stop anywhere.

I would also vote for the roof box, purely for how easy it is to get them, and how secure they are on top of a cruiser, only people over 7ft can get to them! I'm towing a trailer with me on my trip, but that's a special case for a huge amount of gear. I fully expect as low as 16-18 mpg on the run. A roof box will be easier on the fuel than that

Back